Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

Driving down a pretty big street earlier. 55 mph speed limit, 3 lanes in each direction. Stop at a light. A Harley Davidson motorcycle is in the middle lane, stops, then starts inching into the intersection, then blows through it (traffic signal, I don't need no steeenking traffic signal!).

I finished my drive daydreaming about catching up to him, and giving him a kiss with the Land Rover while moving about the speed limit.

7 hours ago, LordFerret said:
On 11/3/2018 at 11:52 PM, NSEP said:

The Twitter community 

The name alone should be the clue ..... Twit

Let's be honest, it should've been an "A".

6 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

26 pages of the book to take notes on by tomorrow.

That's just writing skill exam. Like, not creative or anything, just the fastest.

15 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

From the wonderful land of school:

So in history, we typically have to take notes over the weekend. This week, we had nothing. As I was happy, I kept waiting for our teacher to end my happiness and throw my hopes of a stress-free weekend down the toilet. She didn't.

Fast-forward to today; English class

I'm working on some English work about Julius Ceaser, when I hear something about history. I ignore it, wondering about why the final 3 paragraphs were important. Until I hear, "She assigned us stuff for tomorrow!" I hurridly check the website, and, sure enough, work. 26 pages of the book to take notes on by tomorrow. Now that might not sound that bad. But when the text is this big, IT VERY MUCH IS A PROBLEM.

So for now, I'd like to thank you, teacher. I'm fine with doing the work. But giving us pretty much 0 time to do it, that's when I have a problem. I have half a mind to say screw it and ignore the assignment and pull the "You didn't give us time" card. 

Dude, one day you will look back and wish to all that is Holy that your work was as simple, easy and worry-free as that homework :D

12 hours ago, tater said:

Driving down a pretty big street earlier. 55 mph speed limit, 3 lanes in each direction. Stop at a light. A Harley Davidson motorcycle is in the middle lane, stops, then starts inching into the intersection, then blows through it (traffic signal, I don't need no steeenking traffic signal!).

I finished my drive daydreaming about catching up to him, and giving him a kiss with the Land Rover while moving about the speed limit.

I see that kind of crap all the time.

I do know, though, that in some states, a motorcycle can go through a red light during certain circumstances.  They have to be the only ones at the light, and they have to sit there long enough that it's obvious the sensor isn't going to detect them.

Obviously not the case here...

For those who know of me here, you know I'm into electronics, though lack of time has put a massive roadblock on getting anything done lately...

Anyway, I have a Hakko 936 Soldering Station, and as far as soldering irons go, it's quite nice. Lately though, I had been thinking my Hakko Soldering Iron was failing. The tip looked very new, but it was just having a terrible time melting solder. I was going through excessive amounts of flux, and work has just been wretched with it. I genuinely thought it was failing me after 14 years of reliable use. I tested the tip temperature with my Soldering Iron Calibration tool (it's a thermocouple temperature meter that can handle peak temps up to a several hundred °C... At least from 0-500°C accurately, I know for sure)... It was 80°C below the set temperature! The next day, I disconnected the handle from my base station and took it to the machine shop where I work. I first tested the machine shop's Hakko, and it was perfectly calibrated... Measured to within 9°C of where the knob was set, which is quite impressive for an analog knob. When I attached my handle to the base station there... Same as before. Mine measured  about 80°C LOW! Anyway I took the tip off to examine the ceramic heating element. I thought maybe it had cracked... That's when I realized there were no markings on the tip. The tip wasn't a Hakko tip!

Turns out, back when I bought my hot air rework station, it came with a knockoff Hakko soldering iron. It was BAD... Like, I thought it had been damaged in shipping, cause it was bent, but no, the ceramic heating element was just molded with a curve. It was shoddy, poorly made, and I immediately removed the handle from the hot air station and left it disconnected since! I have never used it. Ever. Turns out, one of the shoddy "Chinesium" tips that came with it managed to get put into my good pile, and that's what I've been soldering with for months! :0.0:

These tips were SO BAD, that they lost around 80°C of the heat generated by the heating element, just in transferring it to the tip. I can't even imagine what they're really made of, considering that the lack of laser marked logo and part number (what genuine Hakko tips use to ID the tip type) was the only means I could even tell the two tips apart! A genuine Hakko tip made the soldering iron like new again. I can't stress enough how great Hakko soldering stations are! 14 years, and it's still working flawlessly! It feels like it's still new! Just don't cheap out on knock off tips... They REALLY DO make a difference! Those trash tips that came with my hot air station's auxiliary soldring iron... Scrap is all they're good for! Yikes!

Still can't believe I let one of those pics of garbage get stashed with my good Hakko tips... I feel dirty! :/

Btw... I find wetting a brand new soldering iron sponge to be quite satisfying to watch, so click below if you've had a bad day (or even just a meh day) and want to see something mildly satisfying. :wink:

I went to a Model Railroad show on Saturday. I found plenty of amazing deals, met interesting people, heard cool stories, and one model club even Invited me to run my newest locomotive (an Intermountain Iowa, Chicago, & Eastern "ICE" SD40-2) on their layout, since I don't actually have my own layout built yet (I'm not even going to attempt to do so until after I leave this apartment and get moved back into a proper house).

Here's some of what I bought (I also got some paints and components, not pictured)...

V2SMfn1.jpg

Q6JWgHr.jpg

What's the complaint? This almost sounds more like bragging (it is :sticktongue: )
Well... Click, if you dare!
(Careful... Not for the faint!)

Spoiler

RIP...

RIP, My poor, poor wallet... It bled profusely. Absolutely savage.
In total, I spent about $440! Yikes! :0.0:
The only things not pictured are four bottles of paint and a tiny speaker to upgrade another locomotive with sound effects.
This is a VERY expensive hobby!

Remember folks... These were still GOOD deals... At least four of the above were such good deals, I'd almost go so far as to call them outright steals! Let that sink in... :o
Good thing I am so overworked, so I can afford all this! :huh:

3 hours ago, richfiles said:

Just don't cheap out

And this goes for other things as well.

Just yesterday, at work, a piece of newly installed electronics my boss was working on just refused to work, so I was called to find out why. Nearby similar electronics powered by the same 12V bus and control signal all work fine, but this one that was assembled just minutes earlier doesn't. I check the PCB and all solder joints look fine. I check voltage on the power supply bus and it's 11,2V, a bit low for a nominal 12V but not something I consider a problem in this case. The problem is that the device expects 15-24V. I check it with my bench supply and it works fine at 15+ V.

No problem, we have two options, to bring in the 18V bus that is a bit far, but certainly possible to do, or I suggest installing a small boost converter, after all, I have an entire bag of them it's going to be a 5 minute job... And here we get to the problem. I take the first one out of the bag and no matter where I twist and turn the trimpot it doesn't regulate.

About half an hour later, after I went through 5 of them I finally found one that worked. One of them even released the magic smoke. So, what am I complaining about? On ebay, they cost about $0,50 delivered, but don't work. I would gladly pay twice as much to get something equivalent, but operational that won't cause me headaches, but if there is such a thing on the market I don't know about it.

2 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Meanwhile all I have is this lump of junk:

Aww...

Do yourself a favor and get a better one.

I have a Weller PU 81 station with WSP 80 iron and it's a great thing. Perhaps a bit pricey if you don't use it often, but I also bought the much more affordable TS100 and it's proven to be extremely useful. I have a 24V DC outlet on my bench which I can use to power it, but also bought a smallish 12V motorcycle battery so that I can use the iron even on powered electronics (not something I recommend you do, but in my very specific case, I find it extremely useful on those few occasions).

8 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Meanwhile all I have is this lump of junk:

snip

I have something newer, low wattage for 'computer stuff', but I also have this (below). It was my father's, it's older than I am ... and it still works!
weller-d440.jpg

8 hours ago, p1t1o said:

What is it in human male DNA which makes hyper-accurate rolling stock seem so cool? (Its not even my hobby) 

As a model railroader, I dunno. But I do hate how many of the rolling stock manufacturers insist on only having ONE number on every car. Mix it up... make three or four different numbers per batch. Nothing says "not prototypical" than five Gundersun double-stack cars in a row with the EXACT same number! :huh:

Oh, and at the last show I went to in Louisville, there were women who were just as rough on the vendors as any man I've seen. So your statement could be "what is it in human DNA which makes..." rather than just focusing on us men.

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Re-started taking my heart meds a few days ago and now I'm always tired and easily irritated.  :(

Sorry to hear it. I've been dealing with a new-for-me migraine med. One of it's side effects is irritability. Should have included "may cause extreme munchies" on the damn packaging, too... :mad:

12 hours ago, richfiles said:

Remember folks... These were still GOOD deals... At least four of the above were such good deals, I'd almost go so far as to call them outright steals! Let that sink in... :o
Good thing I am so overworked, so I can afford all this! :huh:

yay! love pictures of good rolling stock. I am an Illinois Central, KCS, and Union Pacific fan myself!

Edited by adsii1970

36 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Apparently "TikTok" (some stupid social media app look it up) is worth 120 BILLION DOLLARS

WE CAN GO BACK TO THE MOON WITH THAT MUCH MONEY.

I'm already on the moon ;)

Spoiler

TBH TikTok is as good at it's going to get in the absence of vine- 7second videos.

If TikTok was first and Vine was released today, we would hate Vine as much as we hate TikTok.

Ugh. I've had my laptop for maybe a year, and it won't charge. It says it's plugged in, the screen brightens as if it were charging, but it doesn't say it's charging.

So I got a new charger.

Same thing.

And the thing is, I don't even move it around that much! It should be fine! But no...

And you know what's funny? As I was writing this, I tested both chargers again.... they work now, ha. I hate technology sometimes. Might be the battery, or connector for the charger, or something else.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

I didn't have time to post it yet, but I'm very sad to say that she (my rabbit) didn't make it past the night.
Though it may have been better for her. I don't know what she's been going through, after all.

I am sorry to hear this. Thoughts are with you.

@Spaceception try a higher amp charger.  They may have underrated the charger with that thing in some effort to be energy efficient so the laptop only charges adequately in certain conditions.  Or your battery is fried.

Is it Windows?  I saw Windows 10 do something completely stupid once with a battery.  I picked up an older laptop off Facebook that Windows 10 had forced its way into (As it liked to do), and on boot it would say it didn't recognize the model number of the battery, then forced you to shut it down.  You could do literally nothing with it.

Installed Linux on it and now everything is perfect.  Charges just fine.

14 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

@Spaceception try a higher amp charger.  They may have underrated the charger with that thing in some effort to be energy efficient so the laptop only charges adequately in certain conditions.  Or your battery is fried.

Is it Windows?  I saw Windows 10 do something completely stupid once with a battery.  I picked up an older laptop off Facebook that Windows 10 had forced its way into (As it liked to do), and on boot it would say it didn't recognize the model number of the battery, then forced you to shut it down.  You could do literally nothing with it.

Installed Linux on it and now everything is perfect.  Charges just fine.

Considering the battery will drop close to 50% in less than an hour, it may be that.

I personally haven't had problems with Windows 10 actually. And this laptop is for it I'm pretty sure. Plus, I haven't let updates happen lately.

The output for the new charger is 3.25A. For the old it was 2.25A, and like I said, the charger being stubborn is a recent thing. Unless lower amp charges only start being an issue with age.

5 hours ago, Delay said:

I didn't have time to post it yet, but I'm very sad to say that she (my rabbit) didn't make it past the night.
Though it may have been better for her. I don't know what she's been going through, after all.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is horrible...

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

Considering the battery will drop close to 50% in less than an hour, it may be that.

Sounds pretty definitive unless something's making your computer run WOT all the time.

I would research the battery's model number and see what kind of track record it has.