Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

Goodbye A380... we used to have two at IAH. Emirates replaced theirs with a 777-300 a while back, and Lufthansa just changed today to  747-8i. At least i saw them while they were there...

There is this teacher in school that is waaayy to cool.

I don't have the teacher, but i once had him as a subsitude/replacement and he was pretty cool, he talked about his life and stuff like that. He tought a subject that we didn't have yet when we had him as a replacement. Now i do have the subject but i was tought by another teacher. Lets call my former replacement teacher A and my current teacher B, and the subject C

A said to us that C was going to be pretty much talking, so i was exited to go to C the next year. When i came to C the next year, i was a little dissapointed to have B as a teacher, but i wasn't really led down by the fact that we had another teacher. I was however led down by the fact that we got homework and books for C. I asked my friend what C was like with A, he said that he was pretty laid back about C and just talked about it. He also told us that A never really uses the books they gave them for C. My friend was surprised by the fact that we got homework from B. At that moment i was confused. Is A doing its job right? I eventually forgot about it untill today, we recieved a homework exercise we had to do during the Winter Break for C from B. Turns out A only ever had to do a test and got away with it.

I think this is a little, unfair to say the least. Should i tell A, B or the principal this or just let it slide?

23 minutes ago, NSEP said:

There is this teacher in school that is waaayy to cool.

I don't have the teacher, but i once had him as a subsitude/replacement and he was pretty cool, he talked about his life and stuff like that. He tought a subject that we didn't have yet when we had him as a replacement. Now i do have the subject but i was tought by another teacher. Lets call my former replacement teacher A and my current teacher B, and the subject C

A said to us that C was going to be pretty much talking, so i was exited to go to C the next year. When i came to C the next year, i was a little dissapointed to have B as a teacher, but i wasn't really led down by the fact that we had another teacher. I was however led down by the fact that we got homework and books for C. I asked my friend what C was like with A, he said that he was pretty laid back about C and just talked about it. He also told us that A never really uses the books they gave them for C. My friend was surprised by the fact that we got homework from B. At that moment i was confused. Is A doing its job right? I eventually forgot about it untill today, we recieved a homework exercise we had to do during the Winter Break for C from B. Turns out A only ever had to do a test and got away with it.

I think this is a little, unfair to say the least. Should i tell A, B or the principal this or just let it slide?

I think it's just each teachers different style of teaching. If A wasn't doing his job properly, I think the principal would have already been on him about it. IMO, you're lucky to have the one that makes you work harder.

Looking back, the teacher that had the biggest influence on me, especially when it comes to writing, was also the toughest, by far. She was my 4th grade teacher, Miss Helen George, and quite honestly, the last of the really old school "battle-axes"... although I mean that as a compliment. She was the toughest, but also fairest... and when it came to writing... wow!  When we wrote compositions, we had to first submit the draft! Seriously, 4th grade and we're doing 1st drafts... and most often she would shred them!!! Not literally, but she would go over them like a professional editor... and she pulled no punches. And 9 times out of 10 you'd have to re-write the whole thing. But I learned fairly quick if you swallowed your pride, and listened to what she said, you'd eventually end up with a really professional piece of writing!

She was as tough as any drill sergeant I knew, but in the end I loved her for it!!!  :)

Edited by Just Jim

On 12/22/2017 at 6:52 PM, DeltaDizzy said:

My only joystick is a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro.

51J3M07MWNL.jpg

My joystick is a mouse and keyboard. Still good with it though lol

On 12/22/2017 at 2:09 PM, Just Jim said:

you're lucky to have the one that makes you work harder.

no

Edited by Guest

Its Christmas, and the first thing im greeted with is:

Shouldn't you be wearing a special christmas outfit, oh and could you please bring out the trash?

Ok, i know i got to look nice and i got to do my chores, but can you please not forget to wish someone a merry Christmas beforehand?

Thanks.

Edited by NSEP

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Nothing more annoying than people using their phone, WITH THEIR DAMN VOLUME UP AND NO HEADPHONES.

I once sat next to this noisy kid playing minecraft on full volume while I tried to do stoichiometry equations

He was ten, so I guess it was somewhat understandable, but then he switched to playing clash of clans and, for some weird reason, thought I would agree to buy him gems if he asked enough times :P

WiFi in a bus is a luxury, a shame it does not work inside the bus and i have to use the WiFi from the station.

Do they want me to starve? I can't live without internet connection, thats the worst thing that can happend to me besides drowning and painfully burning.

On 12/24/2017 at 8:30 PM, Aperture Science said:

My joystick is a mouse and keyboard. Still good with it though lol

For ages and ages I used to FS (Microsoft FlightSim) with keyboard only. I still have nightmares about it.

On 12/18/2017 at 5:27 PM, dundun92 said:

Goodbye A380... we used to have two at IAH. Emirates replaced theirs with a 777-300 a while back, and Lufthansa just changed today to  747-8i. At least i saw them while they were there...

As of today, we're still waiting to see if Emirates signs the deal. If they don't, Airbus will likely phase it out - and quickly.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-a380/airbus-ready-to-phase-out-a380-if-fails-to-win-emirates-deal-sources-idUSKBN1EL11L

On 12/22/2017 at 2:52 PM, DeltaDizzy said:

My only joystick is a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro.

51J3M07MWNL.jpg

I have an extreme 3d pro

414X2Z0A7TL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

For ages and ages I used to FS (Microsoft FlightSim) with keyboard only. I still have nightmares about it.

Yeah, i used to hate it. thats why i got a joystick!

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

WiFi in a bus is a luxury, a shame it does not work inside the bus and i have to use the WiFi from the station.

Do they want me to starve? I can't live without internet connection, thats the worst thing that can happend to me besides drowning and painfully burning.

You must be around my age, living in the luxury of  the internet. I honestly can't imagine what I would do without it.

Honestly though, I don't mind not having internet for a period of time.... as long as I have something else to do.

57 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

DoubleDouble

What's this?

The semester does not start until next Monday. And already I have had a student contact me to tell me:

• She will not be in class for the first two weeks of the semester (meaning she will miss 4 classes of lecture time). Her mother and she are taking a 2 week Caribbean cruise. :confused:
  • She noticed my course has a lot of writing assigned according to the on-line syllabus. She will only complete the assignments she decides are absolutely necessary to do. She claims this is because a number of college instructors she has had in the past assign too much busy work, and history is usually one of those topics. :huh:
  • She has an IEP (Individual Education Plan) from high school which says she needs access to all my materials used for the course, to include my notes used during the lectures. She also needs extra time to complete all assignments...  :mad:
  • She doesn't want the class to focus excessively on religion, racial issues, or politics because she is very sensitive emotionally. :0.0:

Now here's my responses in the email I sent back to her. I even included her advisor and my department chair:

• A two week cruise is not counted as an excused absence because was done by choice and is not considered as a family emergency according to the university's attendance policy. Therefore, the four classes she will miss will be counted as unexcused absences. :D
  • I do not assign busy work. Each assignment has a specific purpose and within the course, are divided into three categories. Exams are worth 30% of the overall course grade. The paper project is worth 30% of the course grade, and the responsive writing assignment to primary source documents are worth 30% of the course grade. The remaining 10% comes from attendance. :wink:
  • The course is already in compliance with all state and federal laws regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act. Each student, through the on-line portal, has access to all my lecture notes used for the course, along with a list of optional selective readings on various topics of interest. Exams are active on the on-line portal one week before their due date, satisfying the requirement for students needing additional time (federal rulings have already said that on-line courses which have exams and give students access to the exams of at least 5 days are in compliance. So I now do this for every class I teach; and no, it doesn't change student outcomes at all. Some students are determined to fail college classes). I even sent her a PDF of the federal guidelines which our university uses to assure compliance. :cool:
  • I informed her that she is taking a world civilization course and if she is that emotionally sensitive, she might want to take Art History and Appreciation instead. I then told her that throughout the course we will be discussing a lot of religion, politics, sex, race and ethnicity, war, violence, pestilence, famine, and death. I then said that history doesn't care if we like the facts or not. It is what happened, when it happened, and the impact it had we are concerned about. :sticktongue:

My department chair emailed me back and told me it was the funniest exchange she's read in a while - and that my answers to the student's concerns were exactly what needed to be said... :D

17 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

The semester does not start until next Monday. And already I have had a student contact me to tell me:

• She will not be in class for the first two weeks of the semester (meaning she will miss 4 classes of lecture time). Her mother and she are taking a 2 week Caribbean cruise. :confused:
  • She noticed my course has a lot of writing assigned according to the on-line syllabus. She will only complete the assignments she decides are absolutely necessary to do. She claims this is because a number of college instructors she has had in the past assign too much busy work, and history is usually one of those topics. :huh:
  • She has an IEP (Individual Education Plan) from high school which says she needs access to all my materials used for the course, to include my notes used during the lectures. She also needs extra time to complete all assignments...  :mad:
  • She doesn't want the class to focus excessively on religion, racial issues, or politics because she is very sensitive emotionally. :0.0:

Now here's my responses in the email I sent back to her. I even included her advisor and my department chair:

• A two week cruise is not counted as an excused absence because was done by choice and is not considered as a family emergency according to the university's attendance policy. Therefore, the four classes she will miss will be counted as unexcused absences. :D
  • I do not assign busy work. Each assignment has a specific purpose and within the course, are divided into three categories. Exams are worth 30% of the overall course grade. The paper project is worth 30% of the course grade, and the responsive writing assignment to primary source documents are worth 30% of the course grade. The remaining 10% comes from attendance. :wink:
  • The course is already in compliance with all state and federal laws regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act. Each student, through the on-line portal, has access to all my lecture notes used for the course, along with a list of optional selective readings on various topics of interest. Exams are active on the on-line portal one week before their due date, satisfying the requirement for students needing additional time (federal rulings have already said that on-line courses which have exams and give students access to the exams of at least 5 days are in compliance. So I now do this for every class I teach; and no, it doesn't change student outcomes at all. Some students are determined to fail college classes). I even sent her a PDF of the federal guidelines which our university uses to assure compliance. :cool:
  • I informed her that she is taking a world civilization course and if she is that emotionally sensitive, she might want to take Art History and Appreciation instead. I then told her that throughout the course we will be discussing a lot of religion, politics, sex, race and ethnicity, war, violence, pestilence, famine, and death. I then said that history doesn't care if we like the facts or not. It is what happened, when it happened, and the impact it had we are concerned about. :sticktongue:

My department chair emailed me back and told me it was the funniest exchange she's read in a while - and that my answers to the student's concerns were exactly what needed to be said... :D

I'd have failed her butt already, on principal alone.

3 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I'd have failed her butt already, on principal alone.

I'm actually hoping she will go ahead and withdraw from the course. With her already having this kind of McDonald's attitude towards higher education, she's not going to pass. Nearly 16 years of teaching at this level has taught me how to size up students based on emails, phone calls, and office visits. Hers is not "telling" me about who she is; it's literally shouting at me.

Its already January and some YouTuber treats suicide with (nearly unintentional) disrespect. Great way to start a year isn't it?

Is it going to be one of those Revolutionary Years of Spaceflight but the rest was terrible years?

Edited by NSEP

8 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm actually hoping she will go ahead and withdraw from the course. With her already having this kind of McDonald's attitude towards higher education, she's not going to pass. Nearly 16 years of teaching at this level has taught me how to size up students based on emails, phone calls, and office visits. Hers is not "telling" me about who she is; it's literally shouting at me.

Met a student like that once. Caught her cheating on a test, so she tried to intimidate me by going to the department chair and accusing me of harassment, hate speech and God knows what else. Don’t know what she was hoping for, as there were 15 witnesses in class who didn’t quite confirm her words. :D

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Its already January and some YouTuber treats suicide with (nearly unintentional) disrespect. Great way to start a year isn't it?

Is it going to be one of those Revolutionary Years of Spaceflight but the rest was terrible years?

Heard about that. Trying to find the original (call it morbid curiosity I guess). But its probably something forgotten in oh about 10 days.

I don't know. Hopefully it would be an "Awesome Spaceflight year with the world that isn't too sucky"

As for complaints - I'm liking winter break. I don't want to go back.