Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

15 hours ago, Delay said:

Is that in the summer? Because If not, I hope that it's not as cold as up here in the northern hemisphere!

It's currently -2°C at 32km/h winds. Very cold when it easily was 10° just two days prior.

Well its Australia. Land of death bugs, death crocodiles, weird mammals and hot temperatures. I don't think its ever snowed down there.

If it has, its been rare.

16 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I don't think its ever snowed down there.

Yes it does snow but over on the eastern side of the country. There are even alpine resorts (Thredbo and the ironically named Perisher) for skiing although they only open during winter.

We Aussies take great pride in our deadly fauna and I am complaining that you forgot to mention; the Great White Shark (Same as Jaws but real), the blue ringed octopus (tiny, cute and deadly poisonous) and Russell Crowe.

7 hours ago, James Kerman said:

Yes it does snow but over on the eastern side of the country. There are even alpine resorts (Thredbo and the ironically named Perisher) for skiing although they only open during winter.

We Aussies take great pride in our deadly fauna and I am complaining that you forgot to mention; the Great White Shark (Same as Jaws but real), the blue ringed octopus (tiny, cute and deadly poisonous) and Russell Crowe.

Ahh ok. Thanks for the clarification. And sorry about not mentioning the rest of the deadly fauna. I'm pretty sure you also have cone snails down there right?

9 hours ago, James Kerman said:

We Aussies take great pride in our deadly fauna and I am complaining that you forgot to mention; the Great White Shark (Same as Jaws but real), the blue ringed octopus (tiny, cute and deadly poisonous)

Without counting the legendary and local sea wasp, and these nice salties taking sunbath... and this is why Australia is one of my dreams destination. If only I could afford a ride to go there and to see this beautiful part of our world.

10 hours ago, James Kerman said:

and Russell Crowe.

This. Nobody can win a fight against the Legendary Crowe. Only the craziest tried, but none of them came back from.

10 hours ago, James Kerman said:

We have our pet Great White's here in Florida as well. I use the term "pet" loosely, of course, but there are a couple really big ones that were tagged a couple years ago, and they've been tracking them up and down the eastern US coast, from as far north as New England, to down here in the Gulf of Mexico. Yes, they are huge and scary up close... but these have never bothered anyone that I know of, so it's kind of fun when you hear they're back in the area... as long as they stay way, way out the in the gulf... :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

12 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

as long as they stay way, way out the in the gulf... :wink:

You know, it's really easy to avoid getting attacked by a shark.

I'd say it's even easier than avoiding getting hit by a train.

34 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Bah... when that last sip of coffee in the cup is all grinds. (just now)

This is the bad think about a Keurig... you get this in every cup... But alas, the cups of coffee are also a lot stronger... :D

16 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

We have our pet Great White's here in Florida as well. I use the term "pet" loosely, of course, but there are a couple really big ones that were tagged a couple years ago, and they've been tracking them up and down the eastern US coast, from as far north as New England, to down here in the Gulf of Mexico. Yes, they are huge and scary up close... but these have never bothered anyone that I know of, so it's kind of fun when you hear they're back in the area... as long as they stay way, way out the in the gulf... :wink:

Can't help it...

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

This is the bad think about a Keurig... you get this in every cup...

I've used three different machines over a few years now.  I don't recall it ever happening, except when I used some of the reusable cups.

17 minutes ago, razark said:

I've used three different machines over a few years now.  I don't recall it ever happening, except when I used some of the reusable cups.

Oh, it is bad with the reusable cups...

But it is also pretty bad with Community Coffee brands and Seattle's Best brands of K-pods.

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Oh, it is bad with the reusable cups...

Yeah, I use those as a last resort.  I find they don't really make good coffee in the machine, as well as the sludge.

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

But it is also pretty bad with Community Coffee brands and Seattle's Best brands of K-pods.

I know I've used the Community Coffee before without the problem.

38 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You know, it's really easy to avoid getting attacked by a shark.

I'd say it's even easier than avoiding getting hit by a train.

Yeah, stay out of the water!!!  Or off the tracks!  :D

Actually, I've never, ever heard of a Great White attack in this area since I've been down here. The ones that are super dangerous are bull-sharks. Those are mean, aggressive, and will come real close to shore... Every now and then you hear of some swimmer getting their arm or leg half torn off in the gulf, it's probably a bull shark.

Those are something to really complain about.

Oh, one cool thing we have, that just about everyone has seen, at least on the news, is a monster 15-foot or so hammerhead that swims around this area. He's kind of a local legend around here. I've never seen it up close, and I obviously don't want to, but I've seen a couple videos of news choppers spotting him, and hovering over it for a while to get video. It's insane how big it is... but seems to mind it's own business.

Edited by Just Jim

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yeah, stay out of the water!!!  Or off the tracks!  :D

Actually, I've never, ever heard of a Great White attack in this area since I've been down here. The ones that are super dangerous are bull-sharks. Those are mean, aggressive, and will come real close to shore... Every now and then you hear of some swimmer getting their arm or leg half torn off in the gulf, it's probably a bull shark.

Those are something to really complain about.

Oh, one cool thing we have, that just about everyone has seen, at least on the news, is a monster 15-foot or so hammerhead that swims around this area. He's kind of a local legend around here. I've never seen it up close, and I obviously don't want to, but I've seen a couple videos of news choppers spotting him, and hovering over it for a while. It's insane... but seems to mind it's own business.

You know, this just what popped into my mind... talk about a blast from the past...

I live in a town full of illiterate, stereotypical teenagers.

(Okay well maybe not illiterate but STILL)

Some backstory: I used to live in Canada; in Vancouver, to be slightly exact. Some of you may have heard of Vancouver, either because of the Stanley Cup riot  in 2011, or because of all the marijuana, or because it's often quoted as a very beautiful (albeit expensive) city. To be more exact, I not only grew up in Vancouver, but in the university. Literally all my friends were kids of people that were working or studying in the university, and I went to a public high school located in the university. Everyone in that high school had parents in the university, and, to boot, the high school was consistently ranked as the #1 public school in the province.

Needless to say, I've been surrounded by educated people all my life. My school had a library that rivaled that of the smaller, city libraries, and, I kid you not, most students actually went to read voluntarily.

Then I moved to Finland. And guess what? NOBODY READS!!

Last week I brought a book to school and read it, and about five different people asked me, with confused expressions, why exactly I was reading a novel.

"Um, why not?"

One of my friends, quote unquote, finds novels boring because they're not useful, and quote unquote again, has 'only ever read one novel, and that was for school.'

And he was one of the more responsible guys who are actually eager to learn.

Our school here in Finland does have a library downstairs but nobody goes to it, and nobody even knew if we could take out books from it. (Apparently the teenagers in higher grades might not be able to borrow books for some reason, and the one teacher I asked didn't have a clue if that rumor was true or not).

Come to think  of it, I've only ever seen one girl reading in the hallways, and that's only once in a while.

There's also an alarming deficiency of English books. The city libraries have like one aisle, in total, and that includes things like cookbooks and a lot of books on learning Finnish.

Anyways.

I had a momentary moment of claustrophobia and panic when it became evident that I was the only one who read consistently. I had trouble convincing a friend that I can read a mid-sized, 300 page book in one day.....

Sigh :P

Edited by Earthlinger

On 3/1/2018 at 11:48 PM, James Kerman said:

*Thinks about the spider the size of my face we found in my backyard*..

I might move to Australia. Seems like nicer fauna. And the yellow and blue octopi sound cool. (Ahem, my profile pic, ahem)

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

I live in a town full of illiterate, stereotypical teenagers.

(Okay well maybe not illiterate but STILL)

Some backstory: I used to live in Canada; in Vancouver, to be slightly exact. Some of you may have heard of Vancouver, either because of the Stanley Cup riot  in 2011, or because of all the marijuana, or because it's often quoted as a very beautiful (albeit expensive) city. To be more exact, I not only grew up in Vancouver, but in the university. Literally all my friends were kids of people that were working or studying in the university, and I went to a public high school located in the university. Everyone in that high school had parents in the university, and, to boot, the high school was consistently ranked as the #1 public school in the province.

Needless to say, I've been surrounded by educated people all my life. My school had a library that rivaled that of the smaller, city libraries, and, I kid you not, most students actually went to read voluntarily.

Then I moved to Finland. And guess what? NOBODY READS!!

Last week I brought a book to school and read it, and about five different people asked me, with confused expressions, why exactly I was reading a novel.

"Um, why not?"

One of my friends, quote unquote, finds novels boring because they're not useful, and quote unquote again, has 'only ever read one novel, and that was for school.'

And he was one of the more responsible guys who are actually eager to learn.

Our school here in Finland does have a library downstairs but nobody goes to it, and nobody even knew if we could take out books from it. (Apparently the teenagers in higher grades might not be able to borrow books for some reason, and the one teacher I asked didn't have a clue if that rumor was true or not).

Come to think  of it, I've only ever seen one girl reading in the hallways, and that's only once in a while.

There's also an alarming deficiency of English books. The city libraries have like one aisle, in total, and that includes things like cookbooks and a lot of books on learning Finnish.

Anyways.

I had a momentary moment of claustrophobia and panic when it became evident that I was the only one who read consistently. I had trouble convincing a friend that I can read a mid-sized, 300 page book in one day.....

Sigh :P

My wife and I were huge readers growing up. So it stands to reason that we passed that down to our kids. (At least to Thing One and Thing Three. Thing Two can read, but he would rather be building things with Legos.)

I've actually spoken this sentence to my oldest: "Put that book down and start cleaning your room, RIGHT NOW, or we will not go to the library today!"

Okay... this might be a lengthy post. I have a Wikipedia account. I revert vandalism, edit, and welcome new users. I reverted someone's edit (they blanked the page) today, and left a message on their talk page regarding the blanking. They then reverted my edit (re-blanking the page), and put in the edit summary 'stop trying to revert my edit you are obviously [snip] I reverted their edit (as they had blanked the page again), and left another message on their talk page. They then told me to [snip]. Then, they completely deleted my user page, reported me to the admins for vandalism with a level 4 warning (if you vandalize again you're banned), and faked a message of me telling them to kill themselves. Luckily I messaged the admins, and put my user contributions page in (so they could see that it was faked because there was no edit regarding me telling the person to kill themselves). They are now banned indefinitely for harassment, blanking, vandalism, and misuse of the report system. I signed up to Wikipedia for editing and helping the site. Not to be attacked. 

Edited by Vanamonde

[snip]

Wow that sucks, thats a pretty bad one.

I usually assume that this sort of person is likely quite young and perhaps exploring anonymity, or unsupervised browsing, for the first time.

But Im also quite certain that there are grown adults out there that turn into children when released onto the internet on their own.

Whilst Im here, what is with sending seperate "save-the-date" cards and then an invitation?

I know the save-the-date is for your wedding, and its got the date right there, whats the invite for?

It even says on it "invitation to follow".

???

Edited by Vanamonde

7 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Whilst Im here, what is with sending seperate "save-the-date" cards and then an invitation?

I know the save-the-date is for your wedding, and its got the date right there, whats the invite for?

It even says on it "invitation to follow".

Because every convention of typical weddings is a ploy to cost as much money as possible, and make as little sense as possible.

My wedding cost $500.

My wife's $40 wedding dress doubles as a regular dress that you can wear more than once.  I know, shocking.

Our invitations were printed out on a Wal-Mart special inkjet printer and had an LCARS theme.

We had no cake.  There was pie.

I hate weddings.

25 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Because every convention of typical weddings is a ploy to cost as much money as possible, and make as little sense as possible.

My wedding cost $500.

My wife's $40 wedding dress doubles as a regular dress that you can wear more than once.  I know, shocking.

Our invitations were printed out on a Wal-Mart special inkjet printer and had an LCARS theme.

We had no cake.  There was pie.

I hate weddings.

I remember having a discussion with one of my ex-youth kids. It was shortly after both of our weddings took place, and we were discussing the upcoming wedding of another ex-youth kid. And she's all, "It's sad, because she only has $12,000 for her reception, and you can't do anything with a reception for $12,000." And I laugh, and I reply, "Robyn, our entire wedding, including the honeymoon, cost just under $12,000." And she looks at me with this look of horror and says, "Really? My dad had to take out a second mortgage for mine!"

1 minute ago, TheSaint said:

"Really? My dad had to take out a second mortgage for mine!"

I'm legitimately crying inside.

If my daughter wants a "conventional" wedding, she's paying for it herself.  She's only 8, but I can tell you right now, she's not going to want a "conventional" wedding.

Honestly I'm even cringing at $12,000.  That's a downpayment on a small house or a really nice used car.

[snip]

Its probably a minor or a dumb troll. This is what happends when you just let everyone inside a community, or what happends in large communites in general.

Edited by Vanamonde

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I'm legitimately crying inside.

If my daughter wants a "conventional" wedding, she's paying for it herself.  She's only 8, but I can tell you right now, she's not going to want a "conventional" wedding.

Honestly I'm even cringing at $12,000.  That's a downpayment on a small house or a really nice used car.

We paid for it ourselves. We were in our thirties, seemed lame to ask her parents for money at that point. More than half of it was the honeymoon (two weeks in the Caribbean isn't cheap). Most of the rest was the reception, mostly because I wanted to have a party. (I had to talk my wife into it, she's the penny pincher in the family.) But we were smart about it, we paid mostly for good food, a cocktail hour, plenty of wine with dinner, a good cake that you actually wanted to eat (everybody commented on how good our cake was). Everything else we went cheap on. We weren't going into debt for it, it was all out of savings, and everyone had a good time. It was worth it. 

I'll have to see with my kids. Thing Three has a little bit of the princess in her, I could see her wanting the Magical Wedding Day(tm). But she's only seven, a lot can change in the next decade or two.