SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, mikegarrison said:

So. Pretty clearly not all the engines lit.

The stage separation didn't happen. It will be interesting to find out why. Is it because of the stage 1 engine issue? Maybe they didn't reach the actual staging point?

Or maybe the staging just failed.

It seemed to successfully get to MECO and start the flip, but then it didn't separate. My guess is that the clamps didn't unclamp or something similar.

Just now, mikegarrison said:

As the rocket was flipping and spinning, it reminded me a lot of what happens in my own KSP launches if I have a deficiency in thrust and/or control authority.

Also curious whether the final explosion was a intentional range-safety demolition or if the stress just tore the thing apart.

At 39 km there's not much air to cause aerodynamic stress.

Just now, Little 908 said:

“We are awaiting for the 2nd stage separation” bruh thats legit all my missions

Technically, the stages certainly did seperate! ;)

Just now, sevenperforce said:

Exactly. I have literally done this exact thing on so many occasions.

Me too.

The news will report it as a failure, but they said a thousand times that the only goal was to get off the pad, and the rest was icing. The thing flew for almost five minutes with twice the force of a Saturn V., and made it to the manoeuvre stage. That's a fair bit of icing.

They've already built the next three or four Starships, I believe. Bring on the next flight!

5 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Like the thing just doing barrel rolls in 35km altitude? Soooo incredibly Kerbal, yeah. Not enough gimbal authority and too much lift in the front obviously, we all know it. /s

Looked like it started with barrel rolls but ended up in a penguin roll.

At about 1:52 indicator shows that one failed engine comes back to work.  It is at outer ring about 10 o'clock position. Is it really possible to fix any problems during ascent and reignite an engine or is it some kind of telemetry problem?

1 minute ago, Hannu2 said:

At about 1:52 indicator shows that one failed engine comes back to work.  It is at outer ring about 10 o'clock position. Is it really possible to fix any problems during ascent and reignite an engine or is it some kind of telemetry problem?

Outer ring of engines can not be restarted in flight so this is likely an telemetry error. Might be simply on the display to public even.

For me, the really cool thing is the amount of really good engineering data they got.     That thing failed in so many different ways, they’ll have a lot of stuff to work on.    And the fact it failed in so many ways and kept going is really reassuring that they’re building a pretty robust system.  

7 minutes ago, Little 908 said:

They weren’t flying safe either, they flew without 5 engines!

I say the B-52 engine out capability has been totally humiliated. 

Rewateched it 3 engines including one of the 3 in center was out at launch. 
40 second and they lost one outer. 
1 minute and they lost the 5. 
Max-q at 920 km/h and 10 km. 
1:40 and lost engine 6. 
2:30 and velocity is going down from 2000 km/h.

Edited by magnemoe

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

For me, the really cool thing is the amount of really good engineering data they got.     That thing failed in so many different ways, they’ll have a lot of stuff to work on.    And the fact it failed in so many ways and kept going is really reassuring that they’re building a pretty robust system.  

They've built that thing tough....

13 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Am I crazy or was there a noticeable tilt when it was lifting off?

Nope, Everyday Astronaut's stream shows it lifting off at about a 10 degree angle.

And it still made it through Max-Q! With 5 engines out!

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Yeah that they could have straight up engine explosions and not instantly lose the vehicle is kind of wild. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 minute ago, AckSed said:

Nope, Everyday Astronaut's stream shows it lifting off at about a 10 degree angle.

And it still made it through Max-Q! With 5 engines out!

For one brief moment the camera started shaking from the force and wobble back-and-forth and it looks like the rocket was bending at the center.

I know they ran the engines at lower throttle than they could have, but it really crept off the pad slowly.

I wonder what the damage to the pad looks like and I also wonder whether they are able to see if tiles were lost on lift off.