SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

9 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

I say IFT-2 went much better than 1, so less paperwork. 

IFT-1 may actually have been a stealth test of a cryptic hush-hush Boring Company prototype rumored by an anonymous source to be code named MEAT. 

Methalox Explosive Advanced Tunneling

An official announcement is expected NET 4/1/24

Is the weather really that bad right now (either at the launch pad or droneship), or is the increased cadence they're trying to reach showing how often weather can scrub potential launches? There's been a lot this month, and I don't know if it's confirmation bias, but it's more than I remember usually happening. This must be why they're pushing for 24 hour pad turnaround, they're going to need to play a lot of catch up when the weather is more cooperative :D 

Edited by Spaceception

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Is the weather really that bad right now (either at the launch pad or droneship), or is the increased cadence they're trying to reach showing how often weather can scrub potential launches? There's been a lot this month, and I don't know if it's confirmation bias, but it's more than I remember usually happening. This must be why they're pushing for 24 hour pad turnaround, they're going to need to play a lot of catch up when the weather is more cooperative :D 

This is a launch from Vandenberg, and there's a weather pattern sending storms into that region. It's just normal weather, combined with the fact that reuse has weather constraints that throwing away rockets doesn't. Weather matters 3 places, pad, landing site, and fairing recovery site. Sea state matters, both for landing, and transport back to port (& fairing).

what?

(I just got some message about checking to make sure this site was secure when posting)

2 hours ago, tater said:

Weather matters 3 places, pad, landing site, and fairing recovery site.

Makes me wonder if there will ever be a situation where the customer (presumably DoD) says “We need this bird up yesterday! If the pad is go, launch it, and we’ll pay for the expended lost booster!”

Edited by StrandedonEarth

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Makes me wonder if there will ever be a situation where the customer (presumably DoD) says “We need this bird up yesterday! If the pad is go, launch it, and we’ll pay for the expended lost booster!”

Could be. The DoD used to pay ULA around a billion bucks a year to be on call to launch something "quickly" which I think was defined as with a 6 month lead time. SpaceX could offere the same measured in days I'm sure.

2 hours ago, tater said:

Could be. The DoD used to pay ULA around a billion bucks a year to be on call to launch something "quickly" which I think was defined as with a 6 month lead time. SpaceX could offere the same measured in days I'm sure.

They now have an deal with another smaller launcher for an couple of days warning. 
Now you could likely pull an starlink launch and launch something else but spacex probably can not certify that they can launch in 2 days as not set up for it and they share KSC with others.  

8 hours ago, magnemoe said:

They now have an deal with another smaller launcher for an couple of days warning. 
Now you could likely pull an starlink launch and launch something else but spacex probably can not certify that they can launch in 2 days as not set up for it and they share KSC with others.  

Yeap, DOD did a 24 hour-notice launch, if I'm not mistaken with Firefly. It was an insane feat of logistic and well worth of an Astroaward by Everyday Astronaut. And what is more insane is that went basically unnoticed by the community, I didn't know even.

Mod, sorry for the OT

54 minutes ago, Flavio hc16 said:

Yeap, DOD did a 24 hour-notice launch, if I'm not mistaken with Firefly. It was an insane feat of logistic and well worth of an Astroaward by Everyday Astronaut. And what is more insane is that went basically unnoticed by the community, I didn't know even.

I remember it, and while a useful test for small launchers, Firefly has no ability to replicate it right now.

https://www.expressnews.com/business/article/spacex-starbase-renaming-bocachica-elonmusk-18617322.php

https://www.govtech.com/news/spacex-considers-creating-a-city-called-starbase-texas.html

Trying to make Starbase, Texas a town. 

Please don't report me, bro. 

https://www.chron.com/culture/article/spacex-starbase-texas-18623240.php

By Andrea Guzmán

Jan 24, 2024

Using a company-associated title for a community was probably most famously done in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Still, naming areas to reflect the company’s presence in the area has happened before with another one of Musk’s companies. In Austin, the road leading up to the Tesla Gigafactory is Tesla Road, changed in 2022 from the Harold Green Road. And when it comes to space activities, Florida refers to the area near the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex as “Space Coast.”

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

SpaceX is targeting Sunday, January 28 for a Falcon 9 launch of 23 Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Liftoff is targeted for 6:15 p.m. ET, with backup opportunities available until 9:55 p.m. ET. If needed, additional opportunities are also available on Monday, January 29 starting at 5:39 p.m. ET.

SpaceX is targeting Sunday, January 28 for a Falcon 9 launch of 22 Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. Liftoff is targeted for 6:16 p.m. PT, with backup opportunities available until 10:03 p.m. PT. If needed, additional opportunities are also available on Monday, January 29 starting at 5:49 p.m. PT.

3 hours ago, tater said:

Both F9s flew normally tonight.

It's so funny and mental than this is becoming normality and nobody basically cares anymore to watch the stream ( thanks also to the demented idea of streaming on Twitter X).

4 hours ago, Flavio hc16 said:

It's so funny and mental than this is becoming normality and nobody basically cares anymore to watch the stream ( thanks also to the demented idea of streaming on Twitter X).

Yeah, they still need to get their act together on streams.

7 hours ago, Flavio hc16 said:

Well, when they’re flying 100 times a year on boosters that have seen 10+ launches regularly, it does become pretty routine. Wake me when Starship is on its final countdown…

Edited by StrandedonEarth

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, when they’re flying 100 times a year on boosters that have seen 10+ launches regularly, it does become pretty routine. Wake me when Starship is on its final countdown…

Watch your language. :huh:
Y’all are gonna summon up the R demon with that kinda talk, you mark me. 

18 hours ago, Flavio hc16 said:

Were commercial launches with Delta and Atlas back in the 1990s and 2000s ever shown on TV? I either did not exist or was very little back then so I wouldn't know.

I'm not sure if this is a good example. By comparison, I don't recall Delta IV Heavy streams being heavily watched. They certainly get as much traffic on this forum as any F9 launch (not a lot). Both DIVH and F9 pale in comparison to how the thread becomes "Hot!!!" when Starship launches.

Unless you are talking about the landings, in which case, yeah, it is impressive how it has become normal. I wonder if there is historical precedent. Did people still fawn over airplanes 9 years after the first flight at Kitty Hawk? It would depend on the country, of course.