SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

26 minutes ago, darthgently said:

When I read "hot plate" I thought an active heating burner to cook food instead of a "trivet", lol.  Maybe a bun warmer could be done without cooking powered cpus...  hmmmm

You are correct, hot plates should be an small portable heater for pots. But heat tiles would work better for protecting surfaces from hot pans or pots like the 9 cpu version. 
I say SpaceX should sell rejected tiles as souvenirs. 

1 hour ago, tater said:

Now this looks way more sturdy than the renderings, I wonder if they will cover the gaps during accent, the Soviet did not. 
And for people saying none has reused an hot staged orbital  first stage I say spaceX are the only one who has reused an first stage of an orbital rocket. 
An bonus the blast shield will also protect the upper bay against the elements then stored outside. 

5 hours ago, tater said:

It'll be interesting to see if they do a static fire with it

Do they have a spare starship with current engines and engine shielding that they could stick on top of a hot-staging adapter for a short static fire on a suborbital pad? Not the ship they plan to actually use in the next orbital attempt…something they don't plan to use right away, just in case it gets a bit messed up.

On 7/29/2023 at 3:57 PM, tater said:

Core was doing almost 4 km/s (3,990 m/s) at MECO. Is that the fastest we've seen?

**checks notes**

Nope, not even close.

USSF-44 had MECO at 3,966 m/s and USSF-67 had MECO at 4,029 m/s. But they are dwarfed (dwarved?) by Viasat-3, where all three cores were expended and the core reached 4,744 m/s at MECO.

26 minutes ago, tater said:

Note the Dragon as crew ferry... nice to see this explicit, as it enables all sorts of Starship missions with no need for a crew Starship on the pad, or EDL.

Yeah Im also happy to see folks being realistic on this point. It could very well be that Starship is crew worthy by 2039 but smart to assume not for now. 

4 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah Im also happy to see folks being realistic on this point. It could very well be that Starship is crew worthy by 2039 but smart to assume not for now. 

I think crew climbing aboard SS on the ground, going someplace in space, then coming back on Starship is quite a "long pole" item. I think making a crew SS that functions in space is completely unconcerning from a TRL standpoint. The ability to use their existing crew vehicle would allow crew missions much sooner. They might also at some point consider a 7 seat Dragon, since that was in the original commercial crew spec anyway.

43 minutes ago, tater said:

F2irXLcXwAAyTWY?format=jpg

Note the Dragon as crew ferry... nice to see this explicit, as it enables all sorts of Starship missions with no need for a crew Starship on the pad, or EDL.

It would certainly give the Falcon 9 lineage an extended usefulness into the future

6 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Except it shows a FH to reach HEO, which needs to be crew-rated

I consider FH to be in F9 lineage.

A crew rated FH is much less of a stretch than a crew rated SS at this juncture 

Edited by darthgently

1 hour ago, tater said:

F2irXLcXwAAyTWY?format=jpg

What I note is the Dragon sitting on Falcon Heavy!

30 minutes ago, darthgently said:

I consider FH to be in F9 lineage.

A crew rated FH is much less of a stretch than a crew rated SS at this juncture 

I agree. It would still need some effort and maybe a test flight or two.

I think taking stepping stones like this in deep space is an excellent way to prepare for Mars, visiting NEOs (and maybe taking a swing past Venus at some point? :D)

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Except it shows a FH to reach HEO, which needs to be crew-rated

Alternately have an orbital ferry that sits in LEO, and goes up to the crew vehicle in HEO. This could be the prop depot, honestly.

6 hours ago, cubinator said:

I think taking stepping stones like this in deep space is an excellent way to prepare for Mars, visiting NEOs (and maybe taking a swing past Venus at some point? :D)

Eh, I'd caution against this view. The best way to go to Mars is to just go there.

LEO plays a role in preparation for Mars- long ISS stays might as well be time in experimental MTVs- but to take another often used example, the Moon does not play much of a role in getting to Mars either. Reading the justifications for a Moon base prior to a Mars trip in the SEI and Constellation program is kind of comical.

I'd rather see a Mars mission in 2039 preceded by rigorous Starship-based Artemis Base Camp ops than this asteroid thing interrupting the schedule and pushing it into the 2040s.