SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Will, the increase water flow rate allow more realistic testing at full thrust rather than half-thrust? And at a more realistic length for the burn time close to the pad, approx. 10 secs, rather than just ca. 5 seconds?

“Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.”

Bob Clark

With or without the upgrade the deluge system probably could withstand a launch-realistic test firing because it will have to in a launch.

A full flight duration firing is of course quite different and any system to withstand that would need a tank capacity far larger than is reasonable.

But they still won't do a full power launch simulation of the system because the launch clamps can't hold down a partially-fuelled stack at full thrust, and there's no good reason to take the small but potentially severely consequential risk of fully fuelling a stack and lighting the engines except for conducting an actual launch.

Edited by RCgothic

3 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

and there's no good reason to take the small but potentially severely consequential risk of fully fuelling a stack and lighting the engines except for conducting an actual launch.

Agreed.  Given the reliability of gimbaling, the redundancy of gimbaling engines, and maturity of basic launch control, it seems to me that an actual launch is far safer than a fully fueled full duration clamped test. 

The completely artificial extension of the duration of acoustic energy and its reflections on the concrete pad, stage 0, the clamps,  and the craft at full thrust and duration would be a truly silly thing to risk testing for no real gain

My assumption with the partial thrust / duration tests is that it's more for computer model validation.  If the simulation models they have are pretty accurate against the tests they can safely do for the realzTM, then the models they have for full thrust are probably pretty trustworthy.

15 hours ago, Geonovast said:

My assumption with the partial thrust / duration tests is that it's more for computer model validation.  If the simulation models they have are pretty accurate against the tests they can safely do for the realzTM, then the models they have for full thrust are probably pretty trustworthy.

Yeah, I agree. Especially if they are testing out slight tweaks on the engines.

43 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

New HLS renders, allegedly (they look pretty legit as these things go).

This looks like the kind of stuff we could do iun KSP with mods, lol.

The LEO image seems to have a seam around the nose (docking port cover like Dragon?).

46 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Are those engine ports near the top of the cylinder section?  Hopefully they didn’t go back to bottom landing engines…

Yeah, that's what it looks like.

9 minutes ago, bigyihsuan said:

bGGA0xC.png

I wouldn't trust it just yet.

Hence "allegedly".  Apparently Willis has gotten good intel previously.

Comparing the two images, it is obvious that they are from the same heritage, but if it is a photoshop of the original then it is a VERY good photoshop.