SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

So it was damage from the test fires.

On the one hand they should have a better pad, on the other hand, there is no pad on the Moon or Mars. The stubby legs are clearly and issue since that's way closer to the ground (not even concrete) than the current pads are.

22 minutes ago, tater said:

On the one hand they should have a better pad, on the other hand, there is no pad on the Moon or Mars. The stubby legs are clearly and issue since that's way closer to the ground (not even concrete) than the current pads are.

This is why they included the auxiliary landing engines on Lunar Starship. But they're really needed for landing on Mars too, so I'm curious if (and how) they're going to incorporate those into the regular Starship design.

I am glad it wasn't a major Raptor issue requiring significant redesign, though.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

53 minutes ago, tater said:

So it was damage from the test fires.

So that's why we saw the sparks flying during the preceding test fire -- bits of martyte getting blasted to kingdom come and glowing white-hot.

I love the euphemism -- "bad shutdown of Raptor." It melted. Or at least some part of its innards.

34 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

This is why they included the auxiliary landing engines on Lunar Starship. But they're really needed for landing on Mars too, so I'm curious if (and how) they're going to incorporate those into the regular Starship design.

I am glad it wasn't a major Raptor issue requiring significant redesign, though.

If you think about it, it might not be that big of an issue on Mars. No repeated firing and no big shards of material to be weakened over time.

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

If you think about it, it might not be that big of an issue on Mars. No repeated firing and no big shards of material to be weakened over time.

It still might be an issue for a landing/launch pad that's used often, once they get to that stage.

So on the previous test-fire there was pad debris, it wasn't taken seriously enough, and it bit SN8 on the ass at the next firing. :/

Also:

That marginal cost is maybe 3 orders of magnitude better than SLS...

Edited by RCgothic

On 11/16/2020 at 8:22 AM, wumpus said:

Anything but red.  Blue was science, and I engineering was red (didn't Scotty wear red?  GIS shows him in a lot of red). So blue it is!

Red was "support" -- engineering, security, communications, etc.

Blue was science and medical.

Yellow/Green (apparently the shirts were actually green but appeared yellow on TV) were for captain, helmsman, etc. When Kirk wore his dress uniform it was green, but apparently it was actually the same color as the regular uniform in normal lighting. But due to the different fabrics, the regular uniforms appeared gold-colored on TV while the dress uniform appeared green.

Edited by mikegarrison

7 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Holy smokes, they're now expecting $1m per 100 tons?  I.e. $10/kg?  Last I heard it was $2m.  That's going the opposite direction of what usually happens.

We’ll see. Expectation ≠ reality, and Starship failure rate is unknown beforehand.

Also, in the absence of competing fully reusable rockets they can charge whatever they want for a Starship launch, up to F9-FH numbers.