SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

8 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Once it's flown I will :wink:

Lars don't understand how spaceX works, if this fail its just data on fixes, see learning to land an first stage, this is the second stage :)

One issue today in a lot of companies and organisations is an strong fear for failure as it make them look bad. 
Just imagine NASA tried to do falcon 9 first stage recovery. 
After the 3rd splashdown you would have congress out for blood for not being able to land the stages. 
In short an test program is kind of messy. But its 10 times faster and cheaper than trying to run it without fails. 

5 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Lars don't understand how spaceX works, if this fail its just data on fixes, see learning to land an first stage, this is the second stage :)

He's their (SpaceX's) landing engineer, isn't he?

Think he "gets" their culture.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

He's their (SpaceX's) landing engineer, isn't he?

Think he "gets" their culture.

Did not know. 
And his wording is kind of weird: I read it as, if this fails Starship probably don't work. 
While Musk said, first one most likely crash and I think Musk is a bit pessimistic here. 

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

And his wording is kind of weird: I read it as, if this fails Starship probably don't work. 

That's not what he said at all:

"Today we see whether a new way of flying (falling?) is possible. This has been years in the making, and is a big step towards 100% reusable rockets that can take us to the Moon and Mars. May not work first time, so wish us luck!"

Seems upbeat to me. Might work, might fail the first time.