SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

7 minutes ago, tater said:

Atlas is already man-rated.

F9 Block 5 will be the man-rated F9, which is why they need to launch them soon. They have to launch 5 of them before people. Odd, since SLS will fly with people on the very first "all up" flight (EM-2).

There's no rated capsule or utility module that combined is rated, so there's a ride without a seat.  I say that with one exception, because I don't think you can mate a Soyuz crew module with Atlas and still retain its rating. Who knows. 

Edited by PB666

14 minutes ago, PB666 said:

There's no rated capsule or utility module that combined is rated, so there's a ride without a seat.  I say that with one exception, because I don't think you can mate a Soyuz crew module with Atlas and still retain its rating. Who knows. 

If both parts are human rated, then combined rocket should also be rated. 

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

According to the article over on SpaceFlightNow.com, this time it was nowhere near that other thing. And the NRO has flatly disowned it at this point, which is unusual if it’s really theirs. :/

Could... could that mean a static fire today?? Would they livestream that, given the magnitude of it?

Unfortunate angle in this pic. I only see 1 booster! :D

2 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Uh oh...

Suuuuuure the extra-double-secret-super-black-you-saw-nothing!-satellite is DOA, I absolutely believe that.  :rolleyes: Crying shame, it is. Guess all those amateur satellite trackers can just stop bothering to track it, as well as all our international rivals. Nothing more to see, here, folks. Move along... move along...

And of course, this... we do not speak of...

"Falcon 9 PAZ/Demosat launch out of Vandenberg is slipping out of January, but nothing to do with Zuma....slip was just before Zuma's launch - so posting this to make sure the official date in Feb (when published) isn't seen as related. "https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/950486296673308672/photo/1

Damn, who da f* greased January.

1 minute ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Hearing conflicting information on Zuma atm:

-Satellite is dead in orbit

-Satellite and second stage never reached orbit

-Falcon 9 worked nominally

Which is it? Can't have all of them.

The image I posted above suggests that S2 made orbit nominally. Looks like a week or 2 to confirm spacecraft on orbit.

48 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Hearing conflicting information on Zuma atm:

-Satellite is dead in orbit

-Satellite and second stage never reached orbit

-Falcon 9 worked nominally

Which is it? Can't have all of them.

Its in orbit and the government doesn't want you to know its in orbit. The more confusion there is about its orbital status, the happier they are.

Edited by PB666

3 hours ago, PB666 said:

Its in orbit and the government doesn't want you to know its in orbit. The more confusion there is about its orbital status, the happier they are.

Just saying...  but if the estimates of 50* inclination are correct, that’s useless for overflying most of Russia, however...

”Why, hello there, Mr. Uncooperative Dictator! My, that’s a very nice thing-we-don’t-want-you-to-have you’ve got there, be a shame if someone... dropped a malfunctioning satellite on it...<_<

darn shame about those solid tungsten rods, too. There was this really big light bub, y’see...

A day ago (before Zuma launch) I was going to ask, is Zuma translated into Russian as Skif or Polyus?

(I mean, a heaviest for the moment rocket (Energy/Falcon Heavy), two-stage with parallel stages, in its maiden flight carries a secret military payload).

Is.

P.S.
Also looks like both rockets worked nominally, but the payload did something wrong and failed,
Just don't say that Zuma was trying to perform a 180° turn...

Spoiler
3 hours ago, PB666 said:

Its in orbit and the government doesn't want you to know its in orbit.

"У нас есть такие приборы!
Но мы вам про них не расскажем!"

"We have so special instruments!
But we'll not tell you about them!"

(From a joke song Аквалангисты (Scuba Divers)).

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Just saying...  but if the estimates of 50* inclination are correct, that’s useless for overflying most of Russia, however...

”Why, hello there, Mr. Uncooperative Dictator! My, that’s a very nice thing-we-don’t-want-you-to-have you’ve got there, be a shame if someone... dropped a malfunctioning satellite on it...<_<

darn shame about those solid tungsten rods, too. There was this really big light bub, y’see...

It was less than that or they would not have been spotted close to Khourtum. Try 40N 127E. Remember that from a satellites point of view the best orbit is one that flattens out on the Z axis over its target.

13 minutes ago, PB666 said:

It was less than that or they would not have been spotted close to Khourtum. Try 40N 127E. Remember that from a satellites point of view the best orbit is one that flattens out on the Z axis over its target.

50 degrees puts it right in that area on the upper stage's second pass, as it deorbits:

ZUMA_50deg_400km_Traject_hazardzones_JAN

So, what could be this Zuma thing?

The go-to answer would be a spy sat, basically a telescope, but why such secrecy? US already opetates countless spy sats. Another one is not much of a news. If NRO (or whoever operates it) just said "Yeah, it's one of ours, and it's peeking into your bedroom." the reaction would be "Well, duh!" and it would have been the end of it.

Remember the last SpaceX launch for NRO? They did it and there was next to no talk about it afterwards, but I wonder if this universal gag order isn't going to lead to another Streisand effect.

Edited by Shpaget

4 hours ago, tater said:

The customer in this case provided their own payload separator, they did not use what SpaceX provides, so even a failure to separate is not the fault of SpaceX.

Not that I have any reason to doubt you, but do you have a link for that? Purely because it would be a relief to this SpaceX fanboy. :)  I'm wondering though if that might also explain the unexplained fairing issues with the first launch attempt - there was a problem getting the NG payload separator to play nicely with the SpaceX fairing?