SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

31 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Prototype StarLink sats were 400kg each. Meaning that one expendable F9 can get up to 50 of them to orbit. Maybe 40 or so with droneship landing. 

I'd imagine it's volume limited.

16 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Uggggggh...Starlink is going up at 3:30 AM for me. I'm not particularly motivated to get up at three so I'll have to watch the replay when I'm actually awake.

For everyone else:

May 15/16Falcon 9 • Starlink 1
Launch time: 0230-0400 GMT on 16th (10:30 p.m.-12:00 a.m. on 15th/16th)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

v9zgxiyno0x21.png

Amusingly, I was just toying with Ven’s rendition of those legs while picking the mods for the 1.7 install.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:30 PM, zolotiyeruki said:

Don't get too excited--this is just speculation on my part, and I have no supporting evidence for it.  It just sorta makes sense in my mind.  And in KSP. :P

A counterexample would be Spiral, which used the wing actuators for reentry attitude control.

On 5/7/2019 at 4:55 PM, tater said:

I'd imagine it's volume limited.

If not, they'd almost certainly be using Falcon Heavy.  I wonder just how much pressure the satellite design teams had to make a compact satellite (low mass wasn't the issue you'd normally think).

Edited by wumpus

1 hour ago, wumpus said:

If not, they'd almost certainly be using Falcon Heavy.  I wonder just how much pressure the satellite design teams had to make a compact satellite (low mass wasn't an issue you'd normally think).

Reminds me of the James Webb Telescope.

It's just a shifty way of doing things by the channel. They re-play past launches without removing [LIVE] part, or disabling the then-live chat. It's confusing as heck and rather... clickbaity. Simplest way to tell what you're watching is to check the date of upload.