Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

Well it's thematically appropriate anyway;  having an organisation that hasn't managed to get much up, be led by a CEO called Limp.

This would be the same Dave Limp that was fired retired from Amazon after his pet projects bombed?  Must be nice to be in the golden parachute class.

1 hour ago, 55delta said:

I'll say it. BO overburdened themselves with so many project that they now walk with a Limp. 

Maybe the new guy can give them some focus. But considering how Amazon works, I think the problem might be one level higher than him.

Given the current market and trend in trimming personnel across tech and the bloat and red ink at BO I'd guess the reaper is swooping in with the new guy

On 9/26/2023 at 11:20 PM, 55delta said:

I'll say it. BO overburdened themselves with so many project that they now walk with a Limp. 

Maybe the new guy can give them some focus. But considering how Amazon works, I think the problem might be one level higher than him.

I say its higher up, their gaming division is also an mess.  Now Amazon cloud services seems to work? But its also mass volume in another way. 

37 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

If it's not too early to speculate, are they deprioritzing on just what they need to complete for milestones at the moment, or downscaling the station itself? 

I'm guessing that the entire "uncertainty of Orbital Reef" thing was far more journalistic drama than reality.  Sure, new management will mean reprioritizing things, but I seriously doubt BO would signal backing out on the reef when they don't have to signal that or do that.  I'm guessing reef might have to get more properly in line behind items with sooner delivery dates and staff (and $$$)  may be shuffled accordingly

Edited by darthgently

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, tater said:

Another thing which I will take seriously when they do, well, literally anything real first. And no, New Shepard doesn't count.

F8lYUGIWEAAf7ZT?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Kind of reminds me of the old soviet orbiters shape. Oh well, another ambitious project we'll never hear from again :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Kind of reminds me of the old soviet orbiters shape. Oh well, another ambitious project we'll never hear from again :rolleyes:

On the plus side it's launch vehicle agnostic. So maybe it actually flies?

Meant to be refueled in orbit, and they mention it being able to move the Blue Moon lander. A larger, upgraded, NG-dedicated version could move their Artemis lander, either replacing the Lockheed Cislunar transporter, or allowing additional missions. I've said this before, but Blue is developing all the technologies and capabilities ULA wanted for their Cislunar-1000 concept. Now they just need to put it all together, easier said than done.

8 minutes ago, insert_name said:

They said that this thing can go interplanetary, and even interstellar in the aviation week article. Think that might be overpromising a bit much?

Large solar panels. Could stick an RTG and a high-gain to it I suppose. Dunno what the dv of it is. Doesn't need much to slingshot out of the solar system.

Edited by tater

20 hours ago, tater said:

Large solar panels. Could stick an RTG and a high-gain to it I suppose. Dunno what the dv of it is. Doesn't need much to slingshot out of the solar system.

yeah maybe,  but I don't think there are many missions worth using an RTG on where you would use a cheap ESPA ring bus instead of a custom design, not to mention the thermal control, micrometeoroids, radiation hardening, and the rather scarce nature of ground stations that can reach that far

• 2 weeks later...

They are really maximizing the utilization of space by having the big LH2 tank up top. If you recall from the Artemis thread, the volumetric utilization for the old Altair lander design was awful, on the order of 19%. Doing this really big lightweight LH2 tank up top takes maximum advantage of the square-cube law so that you can fit a LOT of liquid hydrogen into a relatively small volume.