Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

Okay, I’m reading Asif Siddiqi’s Challenge to Apollo, and I’m on the section about the R-1 scientific flights with dogs.

And, he’s literally talking about them like they just… happened. Korolev literally had a couple conversations with an aviation medicine doctor and the Minister of Defence and the program got started up.

This is a really stark contrast to the way Anatoly Zak frames the early studies of a satellite project, which he says were stymied by the… work environment… of 1936-1953.

So what gives? Has the difficulty of getting the satellite approved been played up by space historians due to biases? Or is there a lack of literature on the dogs in space program?

I ask as I was planning to base the beginnings of a space program in a world where Stalin lived longer on the way the dog program went, and I’m just shocked at how easy it seems to have been.

I assume the only reason a satellite was so much harder was because it required divesting resources from the R-7 development program, which was still under way in 1956- the R-7 hasn’t even flown yet. But R-1 testing was still going on in 1949, when the dog program started! Of course, it first flew in 1948, a year before. But it didn’t enter service until 1950.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, insert_name said:

Sounds like the Soyuz may be returning to it's ICBM roots soon, not sure that this is going to work too well without a new reentry vehicle, and even then this won't be that accurate

https://www.newsweek.com/putin-roscosmos-bild-rogozin-rocket-soyuz-1837809

It’s Rogozin, so you never know, but I am inclined to think this is either fake or AI generated.

It’s too dumb even for Rogozin. Modern Soyuz vehicles are not equipped with guidance systems like a ballistic missile, and cruise missiles and SRBMs are already being used anyways.

4 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It’s Rogozin

Ostensible recordings dated January 2023. Senator Rogozin was in no longer place to further such plans.

4 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

and cruise missiles and SRBMs are already being used anyways

It seems like a way to get a massive blast without escalating to another option that was somewhat widely discussed ahead of the spring-slash-summer-slash-we-no-longer-disclose-the-date Ukrainian counteroffensive - tacnukes. Even then, a Soyuz offers few advantages over an extant ICBM.

Frankly, I think he just saw one of those robotic MT-LB kamikazes and thought "cool".

Edited by DDE

14 hours ago, DDE said:

Frankly, I think he just saw one of those robotic MT-LB kamikazes and thought "cool".

That desperate attempt to budge the front line hadn't been employed yet at that time, if I'm not mistaken. He's more likely to have been inspired by the rocket that crashed his birthday party the year before, and wanting to do something similar in return.

And yeah, it's not a particularly clever measure, likely to offer no actual advantage and costing a fortune, but considering the overall situation, that's entirely on brand.

13 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

First "Russian S-300 missiles used as tactical"

To be honest I believe there was one case where S-400 was reported by Russian sources in the tactical role... but yeah, Bild gonna Bild. Just an example, they bit the bait on a Zinoviev letter: https://www.titanic-magazin.de/news/miomiogate-juri-kuehnert-bild-und-titanic-9482/

18 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

That desperate attempt to budge the front line hadn't been employed yet at that time

First two videos near Svatovo dated late February 2023. *shrug*

21 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

He's more likely to have been inspired by the rocket that crashed his birthday party the year before

Every report indicated it was a CAESAR 155 mm shell... granted, they were also utterly obsessed with the state of Rogozin's rectum.

20 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It’s Rogozin, so you never know, but I am inclined to think this is either fake or AI generated.

It’s too dumb even for Rogozin. Modern Soyuz vehicles are not equipped with guidance systems like a ballistic missile, and cruise missiles and SRBMs are already being used anyways.

Yeah the only way I actually see this being a practical idea is if the new reentry vehicle they cobble together on top of a platform wholly unsuitable for ICBM work is somehow more reliable than whatever ballistic missiles they have lying around, maybe if the private in charge of maintenance decides to get into the scrap copper business, though I don't think a Soyuz would fare much better against that

I would remind that Rogozin isn't a space boss for more than a year.
But the b/hurt cannonade he had personally caused keeps running.

That's what is called "imprinting"!
When you have quit long ago, but they still see you as an evil god of nightmares.
A showman, a troll of over 99 level, Rogozin is really strong!

And btw, when the people from the Western press were insisting that he could be wounded from top in his rear edge, rather than in the neck/shoulder, this raises a question, in which pose these people are sitting at the table.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

OK, the purge has damaged Korolev's jaw claimed yesterday's launch from Plesetsk. The main payload has turned up in the catalogues as Cosmos 2570. Still presumed to be a Lotos-S.

Also, this is the Yenisei superheavy launch vehicle, in the flesh, so to speak. ROS's chief designer boasted yesterday that they've produced over a thousand chapters of digital documentation...

https://t.me/roscosmos_press/1600

(The forum software can't embed the video due to the tricky character in its title.)

I have a feeling that it is what the real Russian lunar program is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNgoeelGg

The ability to intercept the lunar sats will come sooner that successful lunar craft landing.
Then it will be equipped with a lunar landing warhead payload.

I would spell it "...guard", but the word filter can be against the full version.

(No, seriously, the "A..g..ard" project is for saving the humanity in space. It's guarding our... future. At least, the symbol of it.)

Anyway, are they now going to run "Sirius-500"?
It's like "Mars-500", i.e. "500 days on Mars", but "500 years to Sirius", a simulated generation ship.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, DDE said:

PTK Orel slips to 2028-2029, to no-one's surprise.

https://t.me/roscosmos_press/1620

To quote the Energia chief at that event, "I assure you, we can build actual spaceships and not models".

Hey, if China built Shenzhou 30 years after Shuguang-1 was cancelled due to politics and economic reasons, anything is possible.

14 hours ago, DDE said:

PTK Orel slips to 2028-2029, to no-one's surprise.

https://t.me/roscosmos_press/1620

To quote the Energia chief at that event, "I assure you, we can build actual spaceships and not models".

Wasn't it only a year or so ago that they moved the maiden launch from 2023 to 2025? It seems that the odds of this thing ever flying can, in the most charitable way, be described as "technically non-zero".

Wait, found it. Seems like the date they gave last November was "not before 2025". I guess 2028 qualifies.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:42 PM, Codraroll said:

The first launch of the Orel manned spacecraft of the Russian Federation has been postponed from 2023 to a later date

https://www-interfax-ru.translate.goog/russia/872946?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=no&_x_tr_pto=wapp

"Moscow. November 17. INTERFAX.RU - The first launch of the promising manned spacecraft "Oryol" will take place no earlier than 2025, said Roscosmos executive director for manned programs Sergei Krikalev.

“The planned launch year was actually 2023, that is, the next year, but given the current situation, the ship will probably not launch before 2025,” Krikalev said on Thursday at a meeting with students at the Baltic State Technical University Voenmekh."

Edited by Codraroll

3 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Wasn't it only a year or so ago that they moved the maiden launch from 2023 to 2025? It seems that the odds of this thing ever flying can, in the most charitable way, be described as "technically non-zero".

In addition to my Shenzhou-Shuguang-1 analogy I gave above, another thing to think about is how long it took the Shuttle derived SHLV to fly. First proposed in 1989 under the Space Exploration Initiative, it lingered as a power point slide for years, until finally getting approved at Ares V. Then that got cancelled and turned into SLS, which continued to slip and remain a render. But it flew in 2022, after years of political and economic events.

Another example is NASA’s space station. First proposed as a successor to Skylab in 1969, the space station was continually relegated to pretty artwork and slide show presentations. Freedom was “funded” but never got work done. In fact, it was nearly cancelled in 1993, surviving by one vote in the House. But it flew a whopping 30 years later in the form of the first component of the ISS.