Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

53 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Well a cyclogram would probably be part of the navigation system right?

Cyclogram is a timeline, nothing more.

https://www.interfax.ru/russia/917185

Impact site: crater Pontecoulant G (diam. 42 km), Southern hemisphere.

The minute of glory of the Pontecoulant G crater.

Otherwise who could remember it?

On 8/20/2023 at 7:56 PM, DDE said:

* given the effect on Luna-27, it would be logical to expect a Luna-25 redux, potentially scratched together from the more sophisticated test stands and spares, to be inserted into the program schedule, which would upset the number scheme

Early speculation of Luna-25bis as Borisov floats the idea of a repeat lander to the South Pole in 2025-2026.

https://t.me/roscosmos_gk/10620

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Early speculation of Luna-25bis as Borisov floats the idea of a repeat lander to the South Pole in 2025-2026.

https://t.me/roscosmos_gk/10620

Whatever happened to the Soviet practice of building a back up spacecraft and launching two at a time?

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

A twin command pod with flight instructor?

No, that would be Luna-25UTI. Luna-25bis has an improved engine with greater reliability and thrust.

19 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

No, that would be Luna-25UTI. Luna-25bis has an improved engine with greater reliability and thrust.

Luna-25M3M UTTKh Obr. 2025... I always liked the way "bis" sounded, it's a pity this postfix has been largely abandoned.

20 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Whatever happened to the Soviet practice of building a back up spacecraft and launching two at a time?

The tendency of Roscosmos's budget to shrink, even in nominal terms, and even at a time the "black" portion of the Russian budget is shooting skyward like a 53T6.

4 hours ago, DDE said:

Luna-25M3M UTTKh Obr. 2025...

The Soviet designation system is so fascinating.

The original chief designers often came from an aviation background (at least I think, rocket powered aircraft and guided missiles were a big part of early development by Korolev and Chelomei respectively), but the development of rocketry was championed by the army and therefore they are given designations similar to gun artillery. But crewed spacecraft are called ships (korabl) and thus might theoretically use naval designations.

On the other hand, probes are called stations (stantsiya(?)), which I am unfamiliar with the origin of, but is a pretty widely used word with multiple meanings. Satellites are called sputnik (specifically iskustvenny Sputnik, artificial satellite [of the Earth]). So there appears to be an influence on naming from scientists and engineers, rather than the existing organizational bureaucracy.

But the term used universally for all “spacecraft” is space apparatus (kosmochyeskyy apparat). I’m blanking, but this is either a term used for flying vehicles sometimes (such as famously in the lyrics of the anthem of the Soviet Air Force) or is a term used for weapon systems across the Soviet armed forces, but I might be confusing it with complex. So this either brings us back to aviation origins or to the beginning of rocketry as weapons.

The Soviet weapon designation system can be confusing at times. For example, the suffix “K” for aircraft has had at least five meanings throughout history- large caliber (Yak-9K), K-5 complex (Yak-25K), K-20 complex (Tu-95K), corrector (artillery spotter Mi-24K), and commercial (Su-25K). I’m pretty sure something else had the K designation for “shipboard”. I wonder if a similar situation has ever arisen in the space sector.

4 hours ago, DDE said:

The tendency of Roscosmos's budget to shrink, even in nominal terms, and even at a time the "black" portion of the Russian budget is shooting skyward like a 53T6.

I suppose it might be somewhat ironic given that that practice probably originated in the culture of doing things cheaply and shooting off multiples of them a la artillery development.

Fun fact: RKK Energia has publicly traded stonks. They were up 165% when Luna-25 launched (despite having pretty much nothing to do with the mission) and then dropped by 20%.

Hm... this gives me ideas...

"K" also means "crane" for Mi-10K.

And "Kosmicheskiy" for UR-500K aka Proton-K.

"Sputnik" as an Earth satellite was first used by Dostoyevskiy in Brazze... Brothers Karamazzers.

Popularized by Korolyov, while, say, Myasishchev was designating his projected spaceplane as "satelloids".

KA kosmicheskiy apparat is any craft to reach the space, including the suborbital probes.

"Stantsiya" i.e. "station" originally meant everything staying somewhere, regardless of size and crew.
Say, "AUOS" ("automatic universal orbital station") is an official name of several generations of few-tonnage satellites derived from DS (Dnepropetrovskiy sputnik).
Later is meaning something heavier than a spaceship, to what it could dock.

The spaceships also have a GRAU (i.e. originally artillery) code, 11F and 14F.
Because they are just kinds of rocket head.

14 minutes ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

what happened to the Soyuz 5 rocket concept I haven't heard much about it

The first launch is scheduled for the end of 2025. As I understand, they are still testing the RD-171MV engine. One engine is completed, two more are planned to be delivered before the first launch.

edit: ghost quote!

Edited by sh1pman

5 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

The first launch is scheduled for the end of 2025. As I understand, they are still testing the RD-171MV engine. One engine is completed, two more are planned to be delivered before the first launch.

edit: ghost quote!

Ran out of likes pretend this purple heart is a like.

:purpleheart:

Spoiler

Vanamonde also gets a like for doing there job.

Edited by Royalswissarmyknife