One Axon  Battlecrusier vs one Olympian: One battle with the olyimpain broadside and vice versa

So what happened was in the first battle 9 Abrams guns tore into the citadel of the olympian. It survived. Another came in and finished it. The second battle the olympian juked out almost all fire from the AXON but took a serious bow hit. it survived and threw 2 shells into the AXON, ending it.

Tweaked the Vinaigrette a bit - it seems in the current version of BDA most radars achieve locks on smaller craft only at ranges of 4-5 km, so ditched the aim-120 missiles in favor of more 30mm ammo boxes. Still 150 parts. Not the smallest of ships, but quite conservative for its size.

Spoiler

I do not know why the AXON Destroyer decided to shoot itself in the posterior, but we've got excellent footage of that at 2:20.

Looking at that battle I see we are gonna have a serious problem. People like me build ships that look like ships but are much reduced in effectiveness, but then we have ships like the Vinaigrette that are just ABSOLUTELY ridiculous and overpowered, and yet have lower part counts. Well designed ships like the Castellum might stand a tiny chance but ships like mine will disintegrate. I suggest that we hold one section for regular ships, one for i dunno, unique designs like AXON ships which just don't look like normal ships but match them(which can still compete with normal ships) and one for those crazy 200-gun behemoths we just have to make. Tell me what you think.

Edited by Sidestrafe2462

7 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

I do not know why the AXON Destroyer decided to shoot itself in the posterior, but we've got excellent footage of that at 2:20.

You know a vessel is OP when your own drone ships commit suicide :D

@Sidestrafe2462 Yeah we should draw up some rules regarding the composition of ships :P So far, though, the battles are just for fun, but yeah, if/when we hold an actual competition, we'll need some rules regarding OPness :D

Edited by Earthlinger

5 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

Looking at that battle I see we are gonna have a serious problem. People like me build ships that look like ships but are much reduced in effectiveness, but then we have ships like the Vinaigrette that are just ABSOLUTELY ridiculous and overpowered, and yet have lower part counts. Well designed ships like the Castellum might stand a tiny chance but ships like mine will disintegrate. I suggest that we hold one section for regular ships, one for i dunno, unique designs like AXON ships which just don't look like normal ships but match them(which can still compete with normal ships) and one for those crazy 200-gun behemoths we just have to make. Tell me what you think.

If it was a competition, I would mostly agree. Well, I'd probably throw my designs out, and use one category for the pretty ones, because having categories would have one entrant in each.

But since I don't think anybody's keeping track I can just unilaterally agree that:

Unfortunately, I'm building weird floating things, not ships. @Earthlinger's and @Sidestrafe2462's are just better. I'll try to improve, but so far none of the pretty things float upright. :)

I'll just label mine "tests" instead of "battles", and we don't count them. Or, if you'd prefer I can keep them out of the thread, but I still find them interesting to watch, so let me know if you feel different. :)

2 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

I'll just label mine "tests" instead of "battles", and we don't count them. Or, if you'd prefer I can keep them out of the thread, but I still find them interesting to watch, so let me know if you feel different. :)

I don't mind having OP craft - they're fun to watch :D

I stated in the original post that there would be no leaderboard, since this was all for fun and to test designs, etc, so I'm perfectly okay with having overpowered ships like yours.

I'm relatively sure six Berzerker drones might be able to deal with the Vinaigrette though :D

Edited by Earthlinger

37 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

I'm relatively sure six Berzerker drones might be able to deal with the Vinaigrette though :D

Challenge accepted!

The huge parts are just very resistant to .50 cal fire. But they did manage to shoot off a cruise missile. I'll go make a bomber and see how it fares.

Though 20 drones did manage to kill it when they all started firing in unison. But, uh, video unavailable due to technical problems. :(

Edited by Eidahlil

2 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

Challenge accepted!

The huge parts are just very resistant to .50 cal fire. But they did manage to shoot off a cruise missile. I'll go make a bomber and see how it fares.

Though 20 drones did manage to kill it when they all started firing in unison. But, uh, video unavailable due to technical problems. :(

I spoke too soon :o

Well, a proper bomber cannot do it. While it makes sense that GPS guided bombs cannot follow their target, and thus land where the target was when they were dropped, I wasn't expecting the same from the AGM missiles.

That does not mean the AI cannot be distracted with a barrage of said missiles while we shoot it the old fashioned way.

Thus our challenger for this "military simulation exercise and not a battle :P" shall be https://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Bomberite-HM

I hope it's alright I used my own craft to challenge my own craft. :D

Also, small strike craft can be quite successful, provided they carry sufficient firepower. They are quite hard to hit with cannons at long range.

10 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

I hope it's alright I used my own craft to challenge my own craft. :D

Sure, that's totally fine.

BTW, I built a new frigate, 77 parts, and tested it out against one of my air-to-air fighters. The ship is supposed to be for ship v ship combat, but it's actually okay at stopping missiles: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tp4mwp6no9dl2p/Frigate.craft?dl=0

Spoiler

Edit 3: I'm still unable to post images

Edit 4, 5 and 6: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edit 7: Now Dropbox isn't working :P:P

Edit 8: Dropbox now working. I think...

Edited by Earthlinger

11 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

Unfortunately, I'm building weird floating things, not ships. @Earthlinger's and @Sidestrafe2462's are just better. I'll try to improve, but so far none of the pretty things float upright. :)

Why.... Thanks......

I like having them here we can test our armor systems against all the ridiculous stuff.

14 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

My ships aren't that good :P

You saw, my missile destroyer even committed suicide for fear of facing your ship :D

2 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

@Eidahlil maybe it failed vs the bomber due to targeting the missiles that were going to miss it.

Yes, most definitely. That's what I meant by "distracted with a barrage of missiles". :)

Also, TIL torpedoes are awesome. Too bad I cannot seem to make the AI fire them. :(Please ignore the fact I'm flying with the handbrake on. I definitely do not do that when driving. Most certainly.

Edited by Eidahlil

2 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

maybe it failed vs the bomber due to targeting the missiles that were going to miss it.

There should be a 'set priority' button of sorts

Or is there already one and I just don't know it? :D

Uhhh....those torpedoes don't act like torpedoes...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.