[1.12.x] Through The Eyes of a Kerbal

linuxgurugamer

58 minutes ago, littlecaptian said:

i cant use this in command chairs now , what's going wrong? thank you!

Please always include your ksp.log file when you have an issue.

Random guess: do you also have probecontrolroom and have a probe core on the craft?  They seem to fight each other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Just a small thing : I used this mod recently for cinematic filming, and even with "show sight angle" option toggled off, it still appears in first person view (the green bars when you pan the camera).

19 hours ago, kurgut said:

Hi,

Just a small thing : I used this mod recently for cinematic filming, and even with "show sight angle" option toggled off, it still appears in first person view (the green bars when you pan the camera).

Open an issue on github

On 6/28/2023 at 7:40 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Open an issue on github

Nvm, on a test lightly modded install it worked.

So maybe it was a conflict before, or I messed up... ^^

Sorry for the disturbance !  :) 

Hi again ^^

I'm having a weird one : same install, same save : two different craft files with external cmd chair : one is allowing to first person view on the chair, the other doesn't...

Any idea why ?
Attached a zip with 3 craft files in question in case you want to test it (they're stock) : "test" and "cesnuk 2" don't work, "smal planuk 1" does.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0w2v8k68fkt1e8/craft files tests.zip?dl=0

ksp log : https://www.dropbox.com/s/14waidz2z44dicf/KSP.log?dl=0

Thank you :) 

Edited by kurgut

31 minutes ago, kurgut said:

two different craft files with external cmd chair : one is allowing to first person view on the chair, the other doesn't...

Found the answer ! When a craft has a probe core, it doesn't allow Kerbal view on command chair. And it's weird since I don't have probe control room.

Do you think it would be possible to change this behavior ?

thx

31 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Found the answer ! When a craft has a probe core, it doesn't allow Kerbal view on command chair. And it's weird since I don't have probe control room.

thx

Wow that's funny; I checked to see if you had PCR because there were some bugs with that before - but they should be fixed now, so maybe the answer is *installing* PCR.

37 minutes ago, kurgut said:

thx

I can take a look, thanks for identifying the problem

6 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Wow that's funny; I checked to see if you had PCR because there were some bugs with that before - but they should be fixed now, so maybe the answer is *installing* PCR.

Not really, not everyone nerds/wants PCR

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

maybe the answer is *installing* PCR.

Haha, tried it : it didn't solve the issue. It would have the first time I'd fix a mod's own issue, by installing a different mod :D

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I can take a look, thanks for identifying the problem

Thank you, also feature idea : it would be sweet to be able to switch between Kerbals view on command chairs, within a same vessel having multiple of them !

6 hours ago, kurgut said:

Thank you, also feature idea : it would be sweet to be able to switch between Kerbals view on command chairs, within a same vessel having multiple of them !

While in IVA mode I think the stock game allows this by pressing V.  

59 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

While in IVA mode I think the stock game allows this by pressing V.  

Yes but precisely this doesn't work for command chairs, since they're not an actual IVA. (just a kerbal sitting on part) : )

Edited by kurgut

• 5 months later...

Hi,

What does the EVAKey do ? go EVA from the ext comand seat ? The key is marked as default in the settings, but what is the actual keyboard key for it ?

Also tought about an enhancement/QOL idea : be able to open the Kerbal's PAW (via hotkey maybe?), so you don't need to constantly go to the external view to do science, or manage cargo, etc. With this you could all the time in 1st person view. 

Would this be achievable ?
Thanks ! :) 

EDIT : Wait sorry, I didn't read well the first post about PartComander... : /
EDIT 2 : Well it also appears that if you look down you can right on the Kebal's body and open the PAW..

Sorry again, I'll let this post here just for reference for other people like me that don't read carefully the first post ^^

Edited by kurgut

@linuxgurugamer Also, I started developping an IVA mod, that adds an interactive ASET IVA for the stock ext cmd seat. 
I first attached an internal to the part, and looked through the eyes, but the props didn't render, unless I turned IVA overlay ON. Also none of the props were producing sound, since there is no "Active IVA Kerbal" indeed.
So I did find a way around it : create a variant of the chair, remove the kerbalseat module, and add a command module, to make it behave like a pod, add hatches modules, built an IVA around it, and it works ( see the WIP thread below) !
But in the future, maybe it would be nice to have this working with TTE ? To avoid adding a new part ? What is the camera method you're using right now ? I'd guess it's not an internalseat,  but just the same as when being in EVA mode ? Since the Kerbal is technically in EVA mode when on the seat...

Thanks again !

Edited by kurgut

4 hours ago, kurgut said:

What is the camera method you're using right now ?

I changed it to use the InternalCamera in order to fix clipping and z-fighting issues, mainly in VR.  The helmet and body are changed to the IVA layers so that they draw on top of everything else.  I think TTE would need to be adjusted to spawn the IVA for external command chairs if it exists (kind of like how PCR does the same for probe cores).

The behavior you reported about your mod when using the IVA overlay is interesting; I wonder if the game is force-rendering the internal camera again on top of the scene.

The audio issue probably just means that the audio listener on the internal camera is disabled or not set up correctly....or maybe RPM is trying to be smart and optimized when you're not actually in IVA mode.  Needs investigating.

• 1 month later...