Expanding Kerbin System

Wilhelm Kerman

If Squad ever decided that they were going to implement modded planet/solar system packs into the stock game, which would they be and for what reason?

Eg, implementing Extrasolar along with more powerful engines, (would it end up becoming to much, having to implement parts to get there and antennas).

What are your thoughts?

Considering such a low percentage of total players ever even go interplanetary, it seems like not really a huge priority.

I think a lot of people would agree that we'd rather see improvements made to the existing planets, like more interesting features; instead of just adding a few more planets.

I can certainly envision it being a future DLC at some point though.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I can certainly envision it being a future DLC at some point though.

Agreed. After about 2,500 hours I finally decided to try something different. After looking at different planet packs, I finally decided to try New Horizons. And it is absolutely fantastic. I don't know if any serious Kerbonaut wouldn't be willing to shell out 10 bucks (or more) for so much added gameplay. And I hear GPP is awesome as well (which is next on my list while waiting for Making History). I think this type of development is more than likely the future of the game. It only makes sense.

On 1/24/2018 at 6:12 AM, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

And I hear GPP is awesome as well

It is.  :)

Also, don't forget Outer Planets.

I have to say, that of the three major planetary-system mods I've tried (New Horizons, GPP, and Outer Planets), I think Outer Planets is the most "stockalike" in terms of how its configuration, art style, and general design philosophy goes with the stock game.  That's not a better-or-worse-than-the-others value judgment, I'm just saying it seems more like what I'd imagine a "solar system DLC" would likely look like.

Notably, Outer Planets is simply an expansion-- it leaves the stock system alone, just adds additional planets out on the rim.  GPP and New Horizons are both awesome and well worth a play-through, but they completely rearrange everything and they're more like a drop-in replacement than an "expansion" per se.

10 minutes ago, Snark said:

Notably, Outer Planets is simply an expansion-- it leaves the stock system alone, just adds additional planets out on the rim.  GPP and New Horizons are both awesome and well worth a play-through, but they completely rearrange everything and they're more like a drop-in replacement than an "expansion" per se.

It does turn Eeloo into a moon, but other than that, you're right. I can see it being a really good seller as a DLC; and easier to implement than completely altering the system. I think something of that nature will come around sooner or later. There'll certainly be more DLC. This game's not gonna die anytime soon.

Definitely Outer Planets to start with, it gives a unique experience trying to get all the way out there, and the feeling of accomplishment is that much greater. (I did a mission to all five of Sarnus’s moons), although I kind of think its too easy to maneuver around their systems because their G is so low. Then again, you can just do what I did and raise the gravity in the config files. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.