SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

About 1.5s total load time.
I am seeing a javascript error in console;
kerbal-space-program:169 - Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined(anonymous function) 

Call to jQuery, but jQuery is not being included. But it's just an empty method from what I can see so it's not causing any problems, just throwing an error

On 4/13/2016 at 11:24 AM, Snark said:

Am I the only person who really misses the "Hosting N mods for M users" display that used to be at the top of the main page?

On 4/13/2016 at 11:53 AM, VITAS said:

My thought was that it is  a waste of space taking up nearly the entires page.

You can still see the mod count when youre logged in: "Browse x more Mods"

The problem is that I'm never logged in, and don't want to be.  It messes up the UI whenever I'm looking at my own mods.  The only time I ever log in is when I want to add a new mod or edit/update an existing mod, after which I log right back out again.

Certainly the old display was a lot bigger than it needed to be, just to convery a simple snippet of inforrmation.  But I really liked having that information.

Would it be possible to add the information back, but somewhere smaller and more subtle?  Just a simple bit of text, "Hosting N mods for M users" somewhere.  In the header bar at the top, in the footer bar at the bottom-- anywhere, as long as it's discoverable and doesn't need logging in to see.

since im redoing the startpage atm its possiblre to have the mod count included for everyone.

loading times:

is it slower than say 2 weeks ago?

personaly i think 1.5s is a long time

Edited by VITAS

I had no issues with the loading times recently. But then, I took no measurements and am am used to the (horrible slow) load times of the old KerbalStuff site near its end a bit.

Actually, what I noticed are the quite visible jpg.artefacts on the preview images of some mods.

We just did some succsessfull testing on clustering the sites db in a test enviroment.

The next major update (which will still be a while) will include the Site (not only the downloads) to be on the cdn to speed it up and make it more fault tollerant.

14 minutes ago, VITAS said:

So i made this template to give some guidance:

Template

Can I ask for some clarification on this? That template suggests that you plan to have a slideshow of Dark Multiplayer... sorry, featured mods, sitting over the mod image on a mod's page?

I am a little wary of download v1.1-compatible mods now the official release has happened

I am not sure if they are fully compatible with the actual release version.

I expect it will all get sorted out over time, but at some point it might be worth just changing the version tag for the remaining pre-release v1.1 mods to something like v1.1beta. There shouldn't be many. The people who have been uploading v1.1 mods are the one who I expect will fairly quickly do a test against the release version, but any of us could have an accident. (I did once, and was off-net for 7 weeks.)

yes you can see a preview of this darkslideshow on dev.spacedock.info

i can also tell you that im working on mor sophisticated means of picking featured mods than my love for multiplayer ksp :)

regarding prerelases. the current dev ver has an additional game version flag called "beta" which will make its way into production with the next major update.

59 minutes ago, xD-FireStriker said:

the new ui looks good but it feels harder to use and are you guys thinking of branching out to other games? wouldnt that cost more in the long run to host more mods for other games? well you guys should know what you are doing but i dont rly like it 

Yeah, I think more games should come later. We're too early in development to open it up, maybe once we get to a state where the site won't change much and we have a solid base we could branch out.

Hi,

multiple games are allready a thing. but im only dipping my feet in a bit atm.

The idea is to introduce game admins who are well rooted in that games community.

So i get direct feedback of their needs and problems.

(everyone can volunteer and suggest a game)

There will be more game specific feaures in the future (like ckan is for KSP) and because the site has its origin in ksp (like curse has in minecraft) i wont cut back on any ksp related function but instead expand them.

As i posted earlier we succsessfully tested a mariadb clustering port of the software and will roll that out on our next major update.

The idea to support multiple games came partly because most of the servers are bored to death.

The pre1.1 rush didnt even use 1% of the available bandwidth.

p.s. dev is what it says on the tin: pre alpha so expect it to be broken, missing stuff and not ready (i posted a concept screen some pages back if you want to get an idea on what the final product might look like)

Edited by VITAS

pps i just had the idea that i COULD add widgets to the page so you could customize your game page like you do on your android home screen.

• move arround elements
  • add shortcuts
  • swap widgets (e.g. the slideshow for a listview)

that way everyone can have it exactly like he/she wants it

7 hours ago, VITAS said:

pps i just had the idea that i COULD add widgets to the page so you could customize your game page like you do on your android home screen.

• move arround elements
  • add shortcuts
  • swap widgets (e.g. the slideshow for a listview)

that way everyone can have it exactly like he/she wants it

Yes! Customizability would be amazing!

Here - follow this awkward template where you are only left with 40% of the overall space to have any meaningful image

Here - Have a content editor with no icons for buttons (missing images) and non conformal markdown

Here - Have a system where the image as it stands fits perfectly in the editor, but tiles on the presentation page

Meanwhile the webmaster will be off perfecting a bunch of 2.0 "features" that offer no real substance...

These reasons and many more are why I am going to GitHub as my "repository of choice", using KerbalStuff was annoying - Spacedock has become rage inducing...  No more.  

Between this increasingly laughable effort (FIX WHAT YA GOT - THEN BUILD NEW) and all the "new kids" showing up lately, smelling death in the air and blood in the water I'd surmise, the whole "community driven mod hosting" landscape has become utter s...   

I just checked the site and ran into an issue. I had my browser... uh, docked? I'm not sure what the word would be. It was pinned to the left side of the monitor, which in windows makes it automatically half width. That caused it to display in an inline manner, rather than rows like it normally does. I assume this is supposed to be responsive for mobile users checking the site. I think another step is needed between the two, perhaps one that just has 2-3 mods in a row, or has multiple rows or 2-3 or whatever. As long as the size of the mod pictures stay the same. As you can see they blow up far larger than the resolution of the thumbnails supports.

Less then 992px width trips a one layout fits all answer for mobile screens and tablets...  All using small images overly upscaled to the point of being completely blurry.  Admittedly this is better then back on KS when you had 2400px wide images being downloaded into your browser no matter how small the presentation size was but still.....

2 hours ago, Enceos said:

@VITAS It's been a while since the "Featured Mods" section was updated. Would be amazing if someone did a pick for that section on a weekly basis.

that was inigmas task but he is rarly on nowdays (as many of the early helpers)

41 minutes ago, tg626 said:

Less then 992px width trips a one layout fits all answer for mobile screens and tablets...  All using small images overly upscaled to the point of being completely blurry.  Admittedly this is better then back on KS when you had 2400px wide images being downloaded into your browser no matter how small the presentation size was but still.....

im working on having different sized thumbnails depending on the box size

51 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I just checked the site and ran into an issue. I had my browser... uh, docked? I'm not sure what the word would be. It was pinned to the left side of the monitor, which in windows makes it automatically half width. That caused it to display in an inline manner, rather than rows like it normally does. I assume this is supposed to be responsive for mobile users checking the site. I think another step is needed between the two, perhaps one that just has 2-3 mods in a row, or has multiple rows or 2-3 or whatever. As long as the size of the mod pictures stay the same. As you can see they blow up far larger than the resolution of the thumbnails supports.

i know mobile is broken and the html&css code is a mess. ive to give me a puss and rewrite the whole frontend. so much work....

57 minutes ago, tg626 said:

Here - follow this awkward template where you are only left with 40% of the overall space to have any meaningful image

Here - Have a content editor with no icons for buttons (missing images) and non conformal markdown

Here - Have a system where the image as it stands fits perfectly in the editor, but tiles on the presentation page

Meanwhile the webmaster will be off perfecting a bunch of 2.0 "features" that offer no real substance...

These reasons and many more are why I am going to GitHub as my "repository of choice", using KerbalStuff was annoying - Spacedock has become rage inducing...  No more.  

Between this increasingly laughable effort (FIX WHAT YA GOT - THEN BUILD NEW) and all the "new kids" showing up lately, smelling death in the air and blood in the water I'd surmise, the whole "community driven mod hosting" landscape has become utter s...   

or you could help

as said above the only way to cure all of this is rewriting the frontend and when i do i can include new features allong the way.

Non-sequitur as it was better before you switched to the current multi-game front end.  Best practice would have been to stand with what you had before - which was closer to KerbalStuff - and roll out the new WHEN IT WAS DONE.  At the moment your telling me that the reason for the systems current UI woes is that it needs to be rewritten - then why the [censored] did you roll it out to begin with?

because its still the old crap with some css slapped over it.

(to be clear im calling the sourcecode crap)

btw i dont want to recreate or emulate kerbalstuff.

Edited by VITAS

3 hours ago, tg626 said:

I am still scratching my head about why a site that hosts mods for a primarily PC game needs to bother supporting mobile devices such as phones and tablets anyway. Bloody Google with their annoying requirements for getting ranked now. Not an attempt to push their OS on most mobile devices.