SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

8 hours ago, VITAS said:

403 errors

Ive blocked some ips of some scrapers. I know most users have dynamic ips. so my blocking could be to broad.

(Send me a private message via the forum with your ip so i can check and make exceptions)

The server also uses mod evasive.So excessive requests can temp block ips.

Replacement code development

I noticed Thomas has done some work on his code replacement for SpaceDock. Thank you for getting baack to it.

@Thomas P. I Dont even recall what i did to my production version but we can find out whats missing by test deploying the github code (I could try to commit/merge the production code). Theres this whole 8 core 64gb server standing arround for month now. And i cant get arround setting it up :/

Downtimes

Apache got stuck again. (My response times are alligned with GMT +1 sleep cycles.)

Because of reasons (see below) i wasnt able to prepare everything for linuxgurugamer to help me  maintain the site (as Sysadmin).

In other news

Im unemployed again. so ive to give finding a new job priority.

(That came unexpected and as always at the wrong time)

Good luck on your job search, I hope you find something good soon.

I'll send you a PM with my IP address so you can check if it's a blocked range (Venezuelan ISP) or that specific one. No pressure though.

Edit: My account is new, so I can't send you a PM just yet. My ISP uses range 201.243.129.xxx -- maybe that would help narrow down the search. The address is dynamic though, so I'll try resetting the modem to see if I get a new one.

Edited by kenshin23

6 minutes ago, kenshin23 said:

I'll send you a PM with my IP address so you can check if it's a blocked range (Venezuelan ISP) or that specific one. No pressure though.

Edit: My account is new, so I can't send you a PM just yet. My ISP uses range 201.243.129.xxx -- maybe that would help narrow down the search. The address is dynamic though, so I'll try resetting the modem to see if I get a new one.

I'm sure your ISP has more than 254 clients.

I would really only bother PMing him your IP address if the site appears to be up but you can't access it.  If you can load the page... obviously you're not blocked.

@VITAS maybe amend your post to only request IPs if there's a problem so you don't get a barrage of IPs?

16 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I'm sure your ISP has more than 254 clients.

I would really only bother PMing him your IP address if the site appears to be up but you can't access it.  If you can load the page... obviously you're not blocked.

@VITAS maybe amend your post to only request IPs if there's a problem so you don't get a barrage of IPs?

You're right, I meant the range I'm on now. I could just paste the full IP here, but I'm assuming @VITAS asked for a PM because of privacy reasons.

I can load the page, but partially. Any other assets (images, CSS) return a 403 for me.

14 hours ago, Li0n said:

Don't this thread belong to the Addon Discussion sub-forum ? It was there not long time ago if I remember correctly.

Yes and no. :)

It's obviously related to add-ons. But it's also not an add-on.  Tis a question for someone with an understanding of the intended use of the various Forum categories.

Also, @vitas, sorry to hear about the employment status.  I hope you find a job that doesn't involve people getting cranky at you.  Some of your prior comments made me wonder how long I'd last without telling them to stick their job where the sun doesn't shine.  You deserve better.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming
FN autocorrect

The thread was moved 2? years back.

My problem in terms of jobs is: im to outspoken and direct (especialy when it it comes to security risks) :)

Im sure enough about my skills (soft and hard ones) that i dont lose faith in myself but i fear not fininding a new job soon.

At least im in Germany and its social system is quite good. so i dont have to fear not beeing able to pay my bills.

I applied for some quite interresting jobs.

One is at the "Daisy". Its the German electron syncotron.

The other is at  "Carlsen". They do the spirou & Phantasio / Masupilami Comics i had as a child.

Lets see.

At least ive more time now to get stuff done. (Hopefully more SpaceDock)

Edited by VITAS

40 minutes ago, VITAS said:

The thread was moved 2? years back.

My problem in terms of jobs is: im to outspoken and direct (especialy when it it comes to security risks) :)

Im sure enough about my skills (soft and hard ones) that i dont lose faith in myself but i fear not fininding a new job soon.

At least im in Germany and its social system is quite good. so i dont have to fear not beeing able to pay my bills.

I applied for some quite interresting jobs.

One is at the "Daisy". Its the German electron syncotron.

The other is at  "Carlsen". They do the spirou & Phantasio / Masupilami Comics i had as a child.

Lets see.

At least ive more time now to get stuff done. (Hopefully more SpaceDock)

Where I work, the security team I'm in, stick with pointing out the risks, then asking people to sign of on the risk, go on record basically, before we proceed. A lot of the time when you ask someone to go on record as the idiot who said it's OK after being advised of how stupid it was, it mysteriously becomes less important.  Mostly.  And you can just present it as an issue that needs sign off.  "Telnet from the internet?  Well not normally, but here's the list of risks, if you still want to go ahead, get the system owners involved and yourself to accept those risks.".  It's all friendly and helpful and kills it dead most of the time. 

I've recently had my business unit moved from the department of science. Now public works.  Which sucks. It's just less interesting. Good luck with the Daisy.  That sounds awesome

Isnt that normal? Youre pationate about something and someone else isnt. You get into it and discover how ugly the truth is. You get angry and confused because noone cares. They in turn get angry at you for the same reasons.

Always write mails. But that only helps if they take you to court. It doesnt if you want to have a good feeling about the stated of your area of responsibility.

Im simply amzed that there are so few companies getting robbed like sony did. Its like a takeaway datadinner out there.

Well, you do have to let people know you're serious about keeping those records by having a history of telling your management who choose to ignore the security advice.

And the reason so few companies get robbed like Sony, is because most wouldn't know if they were.   Without checking, who knows how much data you've leaked?

12 hours ago, VITAS said:

True.

Answering the comment that was edited out after the forums sent me the notification, no, no it doesn't.  I've been there, and it's like a piano wire tightrope.  You get cut whichever way, and the best you can hope for is butchered feet.  Which is one of the reasons I went government.

(Quoting me lying, my cheeks off, from a previous life, "oh yes, the license plate number from the car you keep talking about to everyone is a great password.  And yeah, so good of you to tell me what it was.")

Yes. Thats why i dont blame myself for the result. :)

Im currently setting up a vm to migrate SpaceDocks backend to (so linuxgurugamer can get acc to it and it stops blocking the whole server when it locks up)

19 hours ago, kenshin23 said:

I found your ip range in my blacklist and added an exception for your isp (i hope its wide enough to cache all future ips you might get)

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

I found your ip range in my blacklist and added an exception for your isp (i hope its wide enough to cache all future ips you might get)

Thanks! We had a 6-hour long blackout yesterday -- really helps with productivity! #not

In between one of the cuts, I got a new IP, so I tested again: blocked, too. Different range also (186.something.something.else.) My ISP sucks.

I ended up tethering my phone and downloading the mods I wanted through it.

• 2 weeks later...

@VITAS I dont know if you know yet, i know youre busy :wink: , but KSP 1.4.0 has dropped, and 1.4.1 is expected next week...

I guess when you get the chance, can you update the KSP versioning on SD, as there are some mod devs already posting 1.4.0 updates under 1.3.1 :(

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, notquitehalf said:

Hey @VITAS not sure if this is something to be concerned about, but there's a new mod on the front page of spacedock that looks like someone uploaded the KSP DLC. Just don't want you to get in any trouble :/

Yeah they made it pretty obvious that it's exactly what they did.

@Darth Badie or @bewing or someone else at @SQUAD might want to know. Already has 25 downloads.

I deleted that "mod", and kept a copy of it, in case it could be useful. (I legally got the DLC before.)

I also have screenshots of the important parts of the modlisting and the uploaders profile.

@Squad/T2 if anything of this is useful for you (i.e. for planning further legal steps) just send me a message. I am not going to share these files otherwise.

Edited by Thomas P.