When would YOU like to wake up from cryosleep?

Josh IN SPACE

If freezing yourself was perfectly safe and you could be thawed out safely at some other point in the near or distant future, when would you like to be woken up? This also assumes that your recovery period is quick and that the thing you woke up for is ready to happen as soon as you're feeling 100%, for maximum enjoyment of said anticipated event.

Just going off the first thing that comes to mind, and without putting too much thought into this, I'd like to skip ahead to the launch of the BFR. Could just be a test flight even.

Downside: Whatever you want may end up being a huge bust and you missed a lot of time while waiting that you'll never get back.

500 years in the future, i would love to see how life on Earth and possibly beyond would be like in 500 years.

Oh and if someone is reading this in some sort of archive, 500 years in the future, sup dude! How's love going for ya?

21 hours ago, p1t1o said:

CAn I take some stuff with me?

I'd like to jump 10,000 years ahead, see if we made it. And if we did, what its like.

I'd need to take a cargo container full of survival supplies, just in case we didnt.

Being prepared certainly isn't a bad idea.

17 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I wonder what the longest time any one bank account has lasted for is?

Apparently the oldest bank in the world has been operating since 1472.

I also wonder if there'd be rules/laws regarding how your account collects interest while you sleep for centuries. The ideal scenario is that you come out being incredibly rich. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at some point decides that's too easy though, and so when you come out of crysleep, your money is no good with current coin or something.

15 hours ago, Josh IN SPACE said:

Being prepared certainly isn't a bad idea.

I also wonder if there'd be rules/laws regarding how your account collects interest while you sleep for centuries. The ideal scenario is that you come out being incredibly rich. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at some point decides that's too easy though, and so when you come out of crysleep, your money is no good with current coin or something.

Well, most interest on savings accounts doesn't keep pace with inflation, so, technically, your money loses value.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:20 AM, NSEP said:

500 years in the future, -snip-

While that might be interesting for a day, I think you'd find a harsh language barrier to deal with - no matter what language you speak.

On 2/14/2018 at 5:10 AM, p1t1o said:

CAn I take some stuff with me?

I'd like to jump 10,000 years ahead, see if we made it. And if we did, what its like.

I'd need to take a cargo container full of survival supplies, just in case we didnt.

If it all went to hell and we didn't make it, your cargo container idea would be pointless. The container and its contents would have been robbed ages before you awoke... if you awakened at all. Things having gone to hell, there would be no power to keep you frozen, and nobody concerned (or alive) to wake you.

Myself, I'll settle with waking up tomorrow morning.

On 2/17/2018 at 4:07 PM, LordFerret said:

If it all went to hell and we didn't make it, your cargo container idea would be pointless. The container and its contents would have been robbed ages before you awoke... if you awakened at all. Things having gone to hell, there would be no power to keep you frozen, and nobody concerned (or alive) to wake you.

Valid point but terribly depressing.

On 2/17/2018 at 4:07 PM, LordFerret said:

Myself, I'll settle with waking up tomorrow morning.

Well since we get to choose, can we at least make it the afternoon?

On 2/17/2018 at 11:07 AM, LordFerret said:

While that might be interesting for a day, I think you'd find a harsh language barrier to deal with - no matter what language you speak.

Wouldn't the existance of the internet slow down differenciation?  On the other hand, there's so many memetics and inside jokes used on the net, that Darmok at Tanagra sounds familiar...        

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.