KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

On an unrelated note, I started using the "all-in-one ISRU" module with atmospheric extraction.

It works fine when the vessel it the current one, in both real time and in warp mode, but I can't seem to make it to work offline - when returning to the vessel, I do see the message saying it was working for X seconds, but I doesn't actually provide me the resources. (specifically, I'm trying to harvest CO2, and have both CO2 and liquid CO2 tanks with enough free space, and I have overflow enabled)

Am I doing something wrong?

Hi, @FreeThinker

There is a text error at line 315 in file NuclearTurboJet.cfg located at \GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\NuclearTurbojet. This is for part name KspiNuclearJetEngineOx.

Current text is:
scaleFactors = 1.25, 1.875, 2.5, 3.75, 5, 7.5, 10,

Either there is one too many commas or a number is missing.

Thanks

Hey, I'm kind of new to this mod and loving it so far, but am having issues dealing with the fuel types, tanks, and ISRU, and I'm not sure if I'm just thick or if the mod is incomplete or needs some other mods. More specifically:

-Is it currently possible to create all the fuels and propellants with some setup of the KSPI-E ISRU and drills? Is it intended to eventually stop using the stock ISRU and drills entirely?

-Are there tanks to hold all the fuel types or intermediate products for the ISRU? I made a test bed of drills and ISRU and thought I had taken all the tank types I could find but I didn't find a tank setup for LiquidWater. Did I miss it? Is it possible to convert LiquidWater to Water? 

-Should I add RealFuels to fit better with KSPI-E? I find the mix of realistic fuels and stock fuels confusing, especially with fuel tank limitations.

26 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

-Is it currently possible to create all the fuels and propellants with some setup of the KSPI-E ISRU and drills? Is it intended to eventually stop using the stock ISRU and drills entirely?

Yes, it should be, but there might be some processes not working correctly or missing.

-Are there tanks to hold all the fuel types or intermediate products for the ISRU? I made a test bed of drills and ISRU and thought I had taken all the tank types I could find but I didn't find a tank setup for LiquidWater. Did I miss it? Is it possible to convert LiquidWater to Water?

Yes there should be and most tanks can also switch there contens when emptied. Notice that many ISRU parts have small capacity which can be used  as intermediate converters

-Should I add RealFuels to fit better with KSPI-E? I find the mix of realistic fuels and stock fuels confusing, especially with fuel tank limitations.

That is certainly an option as KSPIE was developed with RealFuels as a sister mod They might not go along always but they are family ;)

Personally, I think LiquidFuel is an abomination but most players want to use them so I was forced to integrate it into KSPIE as good as I could but I rather see player don't use it at all. Liquid Hydrogen  gives about 25% isp advantage over liquid fuel and to compensate their low density I made IFS mass ratios for Liquid Hydrogen equal or better than Liquid Fuel giving it a distinct edge.

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker

If you are going to include mods without the author's permission, you need to at least keep them up to date.

I'm specifically referring to the ToolbarController.

The ToolbarController is very out-of-date, and I a bit annoyed at having to help people whose problem is an old, bundled mod.  You have version 0.1.5.8, and the current version is 0.1.6.16

And, I see you've included my unofficial version of KJR.  I'm rather unhappy about that, since it was done as a courtesy for people, was not intended to be presented as an official release, which you seem to do.

Filter Extensions is also out-of-date.

Given the discussions over the past year about mod packs,  I'm very surprised that I wasn't asked for permission to include my mods in your pack.  And I'm also wondering if you bothered to ask permission of any of the other mod authors/maintainers.

If you get the idea that I'm annoyed, then you are correct.

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@linuxgurugamer I'm sorry and was unaware of updates. I was wrongfully assuming AVC would automatically warn me of any updates. I know it not an excuse but I will take updating your mods more seriously in the future

AVC is having a problem checking against github version files, which unfortunately is where I keep all of mine.  I may need to change that if this continues.  It's an ssl issue

19 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, it should be, but there might be some processes not working correctly or missing.

Yes there should be and most tanks can also switch there contens when emptied. Notice that many ISRU parts have small capacity which can be used  as intermediate converters

That is certainly an option as KSPIE was developed with RealFuels as a sister mod They might not go along always but they are family ;)

Personally, I think LiquidFuel is an abomination but most players want to use them so I was forced to integrate it into KSPIE as good as I could but I rather see player don't use it at all. Liquid Hydrogen  gives about 25% isp advantage over liquid fuel and to compensate their low density I made IFS mass ratios for Liquid Hydrogen equal or better than Liquid Fuel giving it a distinct edge.

Thanks! Somehow I missed the advanced ISRU flowchart on the first page, which answers a lot of the questions I had. Am I right in understanding that it's possible to collect, refine and refuel for all your nuclear reactors in-SITU as well?

I'm giving RealFuels a try, but I don't know if I want to deal with things like tank ullage, boiloff, or the engine changes. >.<

By the way, are KSPI engines balanced around real scale performance already, or would they need some scaling?

I can't quite settle on a fuel mod and container setup. RealFuels doesn't seem to play well with some mods I like such as Procedural Wings and the Mark IV Spaceplane system. I love the flexibility of Configurable Containers, but it seems to be missing a lot of the KSPI fuels, and inter. Just because of that, I was one of those dirty Liquid Fuel users, and now this newest update broke it for the thermal ramjets :D 

20 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

Thanks! Somehow I missed the advanced ISRU flowchart on the first page, which answers a lot of the questions I had. Am I right in understanding that it's possible to collect, refine and refuel for all your nuclear reactors in-SITU as well?

Only Actinides can be reprocessed

25 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

I'm giving RealFuels a try, but I don't know if I want to deal with things like tank ullage, boiloff, or the engine changes. >.<

Perhaps you should first try nerteaCry Engines mod, which fuel configuration Liquid Hydrogen + Oxidiser is supported by IFS and KSPIE

27 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

By the way, are KSPI engines balanced around real scale performance already, or would they need some scaling?

Both depending on used propellant. If you use stock propellants like LiquidFuel, you get stock performance, if you use real fuels Liquid Hydrogen, you get real scale performance

44 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

I can't quite settle on a fuel mod and container setup. RealFuels doesn't seem to play well with some mods I like such as Procedural Wings and the Mark IV Spaceplane system. I love the flexibility of Configurable Containers, but it seems to be missing a lot of the KSPI fuels, and inter.

Well IFS contains a MM script which will allow you to use KSPIE propellants on most stock tanks and mods with stock fuels. It might be that these mods have setup their ons fuel switch configuration in which case it is disabled. In the past there was a  patch that would allow better integration of KSPIE with other parts mods, perhaps I should revive them

11 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

Oh? Could you not eventually refine new Uranium Nitride through the processes here on your chart here?7rvV02o.png

When Uranium Nitrite is used for power production, it is convected directly into DepletedFuel. Although it is theoretically possible to represses it, in comparison to molten sal reactor this is much harder to automate. As a consequence, molten salt reactor are potentially much more efficient as they can achieve close to 100% burn while  UraniumNitride is only burning for 20%

Edited by FreeThinker

43 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Perhaps you should first try nerteaCry Engines mod, which fuel configuration Liquid Hydrogen + Oxidiser is supported by IFS and KSPIE

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

32 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well IFS contains a MM script which will allow you to use KSPIE propellants on most stock tanks and mods with stock fuels. It might be that these mods have setup their ons fuel switch configuration in which case it is disabled. In the past there was a  patch that would allow better integration of KSPIE with other parts mods, perhaps I should revive them

Well it's quite possible I missed some simple way to configure them. I'm pretty noob to that sort of thing.

36 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

When Uranium Nitrite is used for power production, it is convected directly into DepletedFuel. Although it is theoretically possible to represses it, in comparison to molten sal reactor this is much harder to automate. As a consequence, molten salt reactor are potentially much more efficient as they can achieve close to 100% burn while  UraniumNitride is only burning for 20%

What I meant is refining new UraniumNitride by finding a spot with uranitite and other needed ingredients, then processing those to create it through the steps in the flowchart. That way I can refuel my nuclear reactors without supply runs. This is in the context of a very long multi solo decade mission.

Ok, so I just tested it now on the runway with this setup and went through the flowchart, starting with mining uranitite, processing it into enriched uranium, then to UF4, then combining with ammonia to make UraniumNitride. Everything worked except for two bugs in the process:

1. The Haber Process (Nitrogen+Hydrogen --->Ammonia) doesn't seem to work at all. I made sure I had the container space, tried with overflow enabled, nothing worked. So I hyperedited some ammonia for the next.

2. Uranium Tetrafluoride Ammonolysis (Ammonia+UF4) will work fine if you have both reactants. However, it will still run if you have only one reactant, and it'll consume that reactant (but not make any product). This is true with or without overflow enabled.

By the way, is there a mod for a better resource display? There are more resource types than stock can handle :sticktongue:

3 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

1. The Haber Process (Nitrogen+Hydrogen --->Ammonia) doesn't seem to work at all. I made sure I had the container space, tried with overflow enabled, nothing worked. So I hyperedited some ammonia for the next.

2. Uranium Tetrafluoride Ammonolysis (Ammonia+UF4) will work fine if you have both reactants. However, it will still run if you have only one reactant, and it'll consume that reactant (but not make any product). This is true with or without overflow enabled.

ALright, I will try to fix them

I don't know how uranium reprocessing is supposed to work, but I couldn't get it to work with half full tanks (outside the reactor) of actinides, DepletedFuel, and UF4, with overflow on or off.

Having tested the other refinery processes, I think they all work fine. The only other issue I see is that some reactions give the wrong status message when stopped because of missing reactants. For example, here the partial oxidation of methane process stopped because I ran out of methane, but next to Status, it says Insufficient Storage. HTP production, Sabatier process, peroxide, and aluminium electrolysis also show the wrong status when running or stopped.

17 hours ago, Mcglin250 said:

I'm trying to figure out the warp drives is the "Current Power for Warp"  the amount of power your ship needs to produce or just the total amount on the ship? If its just the total amount then its not using the Lithium Air Batteries I have.

Its actively produced power on your ship

On 10/8/2018 at 9:29 AM, FreeThinker said:

@linuxgurugamer I'm sorry and was unaware of updates. I was wrongfully assuming AVC would automatically warn me of any updates. I know it not an excuse but I will take updating your mods more seriously in the future

Hey, I'm one of the people who was bit by your 'modpack' being out of date.

If your mod is going to work on CKAN, you can assign dependencies. Do any of the mods bundled with KSPIE  have custom tweaks required for Interstellar? If not, I would strongly suggest you cut the mod down to just what Instellar needs and then assign dependencies. I cannot possibly see how a mod like PersistentRotation really needs to be included in KSPIE since that's pretty much just a realism/flavor tweak... 

This would also shrink the filesize down since KSPIE is already pretty beefy.

I want to use KSPIE but the threat of several of these mods overwriting other mods without any real clear purpose is concerning.

Edited by Frostiken

8 minutes ago, Frostiken said:

Hey, I'm one of the people who was bit by your 'modpack' being out of date.

If your mod is going to work on CKAN, you can assign dependencies. Do any of the mods bundled with KSPIE  have custom tweaks required for Interstellar? If not, I would strongly suggest you cut the mod down to just what Instellar needs and then assign dependencies. I cannot possibly see how a mod like PersistentRotation really needs to be included in KSPIE since that's pretty much just a realism/flavor tweak... 

This would also shrink the filesize down since KSPIE is already pretty beefy.

I want to use KSPIE but the threat of several of these mods overwriting other mods without any real clear purpose is concerning.

I always used the CKAN version of KSPIE.  I dislike modpacks and went that way instead.  I did extract a few things out of the modpack for use (kjr before it received newer updates for example).  But as far as I can tell the CKAN version works fine and has a decent set of dependencies.

10 hours ago, BadlyDrawnBoy said:

Is it a bug or is it wanted that pure hydrogen is not available on the Thermal Turbojet anymore? (Instead just the combination IntakeAir/Hydrogen is available)  I've tested it with a virgin 1.4.5 & kspie 1.20.5.

It not a bug. Hydrogen, Ammonia, Hydrazine and Methane (and by extension LiquidFuel) are reducing substances, which would corrode and engine capable of heating oxidizing substances like Atmosphere, Air, Water, CO2. The Fact is that thermal engine heat exchanges can only have either an anti-oxidizing coating or an anti-reducing coating but not both.

One problem with solid-core NTRs is that if the propellant is corrosive, that is, if it is oxidizing or reducing, heating it up to three thousand degrees is just going to make it more reactive. Without a protective coating, the propellant will start corroding away the interior of the reactor, which will make for some real excitement when it starts dissolving the radioactive fuel rods. What's worse, a protective coating against an oxidizing chemical is worthless against a reducing chemical, which will put a crimp in your wilderness refueling. And trying to protect against both is an engineering nightmare. Oxidizing propellants include oxygen, water, and carbon dioxide, while reducing propellants include hydrogen, ammonia, and methane. Carbon Monoxide is neither, as the carbon atom has a death-grip on the oxygen atom.

source: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#ntrsolidcore

I would recommend using Liquid Helium, which isp is reasonably compatible with Hydrogen but twice as dense

Alternatively you can connect a reactor to multiple nozzles and switch between the reducing and oxidizing resistant engines.

Edited by FreeThinker