[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

@jaxmedI haven't used this mod in a while but from past experience from what I remember:

1) The rotation at load time depends on the orientation of the vessel's control point and/or the orientation you set in the BonVoyage controller part. So experiment with changing those first. 

2) In the BonVoyage general settings there's a toggle for disabling rotation IIRC.

3) Slopes are great at messing with BonVoyage - make sure that the target waypoint is on reasonably flat terrain.

4) Even after all of that it can still be pretty finnicky so good luck. You could also try reloading and disabling crash damage until after the rover is in position.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 9:20 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

@The Destroyer @maja I too am interested in using Bon Voyage with RO/RP-1 so I've had a look in the RO files and this is what RO uses to configure its RTGs:

Hello @jimmymcgoochie, @Haukifile, @New Horizons, @cinemagic,

Maybe one of you can help me?

Does somebody here have a MM patch or can help me make one, to add BonVoyage to my RP-1 savegame?
I think what is missing is a MM patch to add the "Bon Voyage Controller" (+ Upgrades) to the tech tree and the parts list.

1 hour ago, N3N said:

Hello @jimmymcgoochie, @Haukifile, @New Horizons, @cinemagic,

Maybe one of you can help me?

Does somebody here have a MM patch or can help me make one, to add BonVoyage to my RP-1 savegame?
I think what is missing is a MM patch to add the "Bon Voyage Controller" (+ Upgrades) to the tech tree and the parts list.

I have a patch that adds the BV controller itself to RP-1 but not any of the upgrades, just making it work was good enough for me. I’ll post it here when I can, probably in a week or so.

If you’re using BV with Kerbalism (which you are if you’re using RP-1) then RTGs don’t register any power generated in the BV control window; turn on infinite power before setting the autopilot to get around that issue when you don’t have solar panels.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I have a patch that adds the BV controller itself to RP-1 but not any of the upgrades, just making it work was good enough for me. I’ll post it here when I can, probably in a week or so.

If you’re using BV with Kerbalism (which you are if you’re using RP-1) then RTGs don’t register any power generated in the BV control window; turn on infinite power before setting the autopilot to get around that issue when you don’t have solar panels.

Thank you!

Thanks to the nice people in the RO/RP-1 Discord, I now use this MM patch:

Spoiler

@PART[BonVoyageModule]:NEEDS[RealismOverhaul]
{
  %RSSROConfig = True
  %rescaleFactor = 1
}

@PART[BonVoyageModule]:FOR[xxxRP0]
{
  %TechRequired = largeScaleAvionics
  !TechHidden = delete
  %cost = 250
  %entryCost = 2500
  RP0conf = true
  @description ^=:$: <b><color=green>From Bon Voyage mod</color></b>
}

@PART[BonVoyageUpgrade_v2]:FOR[xxxRP0]
{
  %TechRequired = advancedAvionics
  !TechHidden = delete
  %cost = 250
  %entryCost = 2500
  RP0conf = true
}

@PART[BonVoyageUpgrade_v3]:FOR[xxxRP0]
{
  %TechRequired = nextGenAvionics
  !TechHidden = delete
  %cost = 250
  %entryCost = 2500
  RP0conf = true
}

• 1 month later...

Does Bon Voyage work with mods that switch the home system? I've noticed that when i try to use rovers in the Kcalbeloh mod it say's i don't have enough power generation, even when i have batteries enabled. If not, does anyone know how to make it work in system switchers?

• 4 weeks later...

What could be the reason that my rover after a system check shows a speed of 40.6 m/s in the rover's control panel, but when I switch scenes, in the Bon Voyage panel it is moving at only 15 m/s?

It has no pilot (only engineer and scientist), and is well powered by a USI reactor. They're going to run out of oxygen at that speed...

ULElDJP.png

Has anyone seen a problem where the rover flips over?  I have an existing rover design and added the BV part.  I set multiple rovers out from the KSC and allowed them to get to their destination.  When I switch over to the rover it is always flipped over and unusable.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.  :)

On 6/24/2023 at 4:59 PM, jd284 said:

What could be the reason that my rover after a system check shows a speed of 40.6 m/s in the rover's control panel, but when I switch scenes, in the Bon Voyage panel it is moving at only 15 m/s?

It has no pilot (only engineer and scientist), and is well powered by a USI reactor. They're going to run out of oxygen at that speed...

They were on the night side of the Moon. Manned rover has a penalty when driving during night due to low visibility.

12 hours ago, Sobivar said:

Has anyone seen a problem where the rover flips over?  I have an existing rover design and added the BV part.  I set multiple rovers out from the KSC and allowed them to get to their destination.  When I switch over to the rover it is always flipped over and unusable.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.  :)

Try to switch off rotation or change rotation vector. 

https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-BonVoyage/wiki/Settings#disable-rotation

https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-BonVoyage/wiki/Settings#rotation-vector-advanced-tweakable

1 hour ago, maja said:

They were on the night side of the Moon. Manned rover has a penalty when driving during night due to low visibility.

Huh, did not expect it to be quite that much of a reduction... in any case then the popup should really state that speed and not explicitly a speed at night of 40.6 m/s!

Though I don't really get why it's that much slower, there's no pilot or driver bonus so clearly it uses the same navigation tools as an unmanned rover. I could understand the driver bonus being dropped at night, but not going at only a quarter of the normal speed.

This is going to make exploration pretty tedious during those long lunar nights.

5 hours ago, Sobivar said:

I disabled rotation and that solved the flipping problem.

Thanks for the help maja.  :)

Note that if you drive too far, this means your rover arrives in the original orientation but now the ground is in a different direction due to the curvature of the planet. So disabling rotation can work over short distances only, less than 30 or so degrees of latitude or longitude at a time.

You can also just set the correct orientation it should use on the Bon Voyage controller PAW, and then re-enable the option. Though it's good to save before, because there's five wrong settings and only one right one, depending on how you've placed the part. Or maybe it depends on the control direction, I forget...

In any case, go somewhere close, save when you get there but before switching to the rover, and enable rotations. Then switch to it and see if it was the right setting; if not then reload and turn off rotations and try again with a different setting.

19 hours ago, jd284 said:

You can also just set the correct orientation it should use on the Bon Voyage controller PAW, and then re-enable the option. Though it's good to save before, because there's five wrong settings and only one right one, depending on how you've placed the part. Or maybe it depends on the control direction, I forget...

It depends on the root part orientation.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an odd issue where Bon Voyage doesn't recognize the power generated from NFE fission reactors and RTGs. It recognizes power from solar panels just fine. I know I must have done something, since they used to work a few months ago. I'm running entirely too many mods at the moment (Kerbalism, KSRSS, plus lots more). I just now removed and re-downloaded the Bon Voyage mod from CKAN, so it should be fully updated.

Apparently the easiest way around is just to set it for infinite electricity. Can't believe that didn't occur to me.

https://imgur.com/a/3Nb95tN

Edited by AlSlea
adding pic

On 7/10/2023 at 5:11 PM, AlSlea said:

I'm having an odd issue where Bon Voyage doesn't recognize the power generated from NFE fission reactors and RTGs. It recognizes power from solar panels just fine. I know I must have done something, since they used to work a few months ago. I'm running entirely too many mods at the moment (Kerbalism, KSRSS, plus lots more). I just now removed and re-downloaded the Bon Voyage mod from CKAN, so it should be fully updated.

Apparently the easiest way around is just to set it for infinite electricity. Can't believe that didn't occur to me.

https://imgur.com/a/3Nb95tN

It can be some change in NFE (there is one issue on github I need to check) or combination of mods. I have a lot of work, so BV is a little bit neglected, but KSP 2 does not seem to be ready anytime soon, so it's time to do a revision.

I made a little MM patch to add BV controllers to every command module, but then had the problem that my Bon Voyage control panel was full of irrelevant craft, as all the modules start out active.

I eventually found with a small addition I can make it so the pods initialize with the BV controller inactive:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:AFTER[BonVoyage]
{
	//gets rid of existing BV modules so you don't end up with doubles
	!MODULE[BonVoyageModule]{}

//adds BV controller to every part
	MODULE
	{
		name = BonVoyageModule
	}

//makes it so it starts out inactive
	@MODULE[BonVoyageModule]
	{
		shutdown = True
	}

}

I already had many craft with their modules active, but was able to fix that without too much trouble with multiline find and replace in notepad ++, changing all the shutdown = False in the BonVoyageModules to shutdown = true.

Just posting this here in case anyone else runs into the same issues.

Edited by 1straycat
added part to avoid duplicate BV modules

• 4 months later...

Hi, I made an amphibious rover that can also submerge.  What engines should I use on my craft to get Bon Voyage to understand that my craft is on the water, and has engines that can move it through the water? Even though it has electric prop engines that can move it on the water at about 7 m/s, it thinks that no engines are active. What engines for naval situations does this mod understand?

10 hours ago, AtilliaBug554 said:

Hi, I made an amphibious rover that can also submerge.  What engines should I use on my craft to get Bon Voyage to understand that my craft is on the water, and has engines that can move it through the water? Even though it has electric prop engines that can move it on the water at about 7 m/s, it thinks that no engines are active. What engines for naval situations does this mod understand?

This post touches on what engines work with the mod for naval purposes.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/172447-ksp-1123-bon-voyage-141-2022-10-02/?do=findComment&comment=3651625

On 11/26/2023 at 2:07 PM, Syczek said:

Is there way to add engines from Sunkworks to supported naval engines by bon voyage? Why controller doesn't recognize that my vessel is splashed down

Can you link the Sunworks mod here? If you have mostly stock vessel, the also craft file can help.

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, BravoAlpha101st said:

Mod killed an Eve rover I had set to go somewhere as soon as I switched to it.

Is this a bug or is it on purpose?

its a KSP physics problem.
more noticed wen using bon voyage but can bee seen less frequent any time you move to a landed ship