Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

On 7/16/2023 at 10:12 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

It is probably intended to sink lower in the water when cruising, as are cargo ships. It just looks this way because it is in port.

Cargo ships sit lower in the water then full of cargo, this is most visible on bulk or oil carriers.  This does not apply to cruise ships to much degree, yes they used up fuel and supplies but only that. 
But I'm very sure they will not tip over unless they take damage who would sink it anyway. The heavy stuff in down in the bottom while the superstructure is pretty lightweight. Yes you have the pools but they can be drained. 
If needed you could add an concrete ballast in the bottom, or better  but more expensive use thicker steel than needed as this would provide extra impact protection. You also have various fuel, fresh water, brown water and ballast tanks. 

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Cargo ships sit lower in the water then full of cargo, this is most visible on bulk or oil carriers.  This does not apply to cruise ships to much degree, yes they used up fuel and supplies but only that. 
But I'm very sure they will not tip over unless they take damage who would sink it anyway. The heavy stuff in down in the bottom while the superstructure is pretty lightweight. Yes you have the pools but they can be drained. 
If needed you could add an concrete ballast in the bottom, or better  but more expensive use thicker steel than needed as this would provide extra impact protection. You also have various fuel, fresh water, brown water and ballast tanks. 

Exactly. If you look at deck plans of large cruise ships, most of the upper decks are composed of staterooms, which if you think about it, by volume are mostly just air. The dense parts of the ship, the fuel and water tanks, machinery, engines, supply storage, etc, are all down in the hull. So the ship actually ends up having a very low COG.

13 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

So the ship actually ends up having a very low COG.

What have its drawbacks - besides none of them being so bad as tipping over, of course! :)

The lower the CoG, the bigger is the distance to the top floors, and so bigger is the linear distance the floor is moving given an angular movement.

(at least the piano was firmly bolted into the ground - that one would cause some damages by wandering around).

So, in heavy seas, is usually better to shelter yourself on the lower floors. But they have their own problems, however:

We have invented transoceanic airlines for a reason! :) 

Edited by Lisias
Ugh.. bad grammars...

27 minutes ago, Lisias said:

The lower the CoG, the bigger is the distance to the top floors, and so bigger is the linear distance the floor is moving given an angular movement.

It's also a known problem in naval gunnery - ships with an overly strong righting momentum tend to snap back to vertical with excessive violence, making it much harder on the gunners, people aboard, and even furniture.

Edited by DDE

50 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Exactly. If you look at deck plans of large cruise ships, most of the upper decks are composed of staterooms, which if you think about it, by volume are mostly just air. The dense parts of the ship, the fuel and water tanks, machinery, engines, supply storage, etc, are all down in the hull. So the ship actually ends up having a very low COG.

Spoiler

Before

service-pnp-pga-09000-09034v.jpg

After
5e4420e3597c3.image.jpg

The Sikorsky S-58 is powered by a…. R-1820 Cyclone radial engine (yeah, that one used on WW2 warbirds) on the nose. The main gearbox is behind the cockpit, under the main rotor, and the damned thing is coupled to the engine by a hydraulic clutch, also responsible for the fan to cool down the engine.

3lamtqtrvto61.jpg

And people questioned my engine choices on my crafts… :P 

7 hours ago, Lisias said:

The Sikorsky S-58 is powered by a…. R-1820 Cyclone radial engine (yeah, that one used on WW2 warbirds) on the nose. The main gearbox is behind the cockpit, under the main rotor, and the damned thing is coupled to the engine by a hydraulic clutch, also responsible for the fan to cool down the engine.

3lamtqtrvto61.jpg

And people questioned my engine choices on my crafts… :P 

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-4

# Mi,too

Hide contents

24958695_849709041873951_332570873390190

I suppose it works well to balance the craft. Interesting shaft angle though, no doubt chosen for some arcane engineering reason like gyro or torque effects

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Interesting shaft angle though, no doubt chosen for some arcane engineering reason like gyro or torque effects

Or besides that! :)

On 7/26/2023 at 2:17 PM, DDE said:

The Soviets actually strapped this to a T-26:

i?id=811f248fb3f0386abfbb1d8853dab7b2_l-

I assume these to be rotating legs to help propel the tank if stuck in mud or uneven terrain. The top makes no sense however, I assume I look at the rear, because of the legs. 
I have used legs to help rovers in KSP. 

21 hours ago, DDE said:

Safer than a Pinto so long as the fuses aren't in place?

xdhho9Ur7v4.jpg?size=1229x955&quality=95

I say this is an very surrealistic image. First how all the carts follow the truck like an train. And the guys riding the bombs, yes the danger is falling off but why are they so spaced out. 

Also why use single bombs carts? But I probably know that, they started with planes who could just carry 1 or two bombs, might also make loading equipment who worked with this carts, if you put them on an truck it could not load them. No idea how they loaded WW 2 bombers, today they tend to use some sort of scissor lift lift stuff on fighter jets who is to heavy to manhandle.