mod creators lying?

Does the game work?

Do the mods work?

If so, they aren't lying.

From your other threads, the validity of your install is questionable, so I would get that in order first.

In particular, if a thread states it's 1.4.5 compatible, and it's requesting a 1.3.1 install, then you downloaded the wrong version, or there's some hiccup in a version file somewhere that actually has no impact on gameplay. 

As I just mentioned in the other thread.  Get CKAN, install it, use it.   99% of your problems will disappear (and others will appear as people will tend to over mod the game).   As you get more comfortable with how the file structure of how KSP works, you can move into manually modding the game. 

Edited by Gargamel
typos

Oh boy, I hope none of the 'great ones' will see this thread...

If a mod is labeled with [1.4.5] AND you have downloaded the correct version AND you installed correctly, than the mod will run despite any compatibility warnings you get.
Sometimes a mod creator forgot to update the .version file or the mod doesn't require an update for 1.4.5. Some mods still have a .version file, telling AVC that 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 is the max. compatible version but when the other updates beyond 1.4.2 were released, these mods still worked fine and there is no reason to recompile the mod and/or to update the .version file so you will still get a notification from AVC but the mod will be labeled with [1.4.5] anyway.

On the other hand, it is more usual that a mod is installed wrong or you accidentally downloaded a wrong version. This can happen pretty easy since many mods provides a version for 1.4+ and one for 1.3.1 in the same thread. So before you start to accuse mod creators of lying (in general!), you better check if you have installed the correct version or if the mods run anyway.

Like @Gargamel suggested, CKAN is a great tool to avoid these version conflicts and prevents you from accidentally downloading a wrong version. The UI is intuitive and it is almost guaranteed that a mod installed through CKAN will run without any problems.

It could be that they are lying, or it could be that no piece of significant software is completely without bugs and they're trying their best to provide content for their fellow players without being paid for any of it. Which do you think is more likely? 

Please don't let your frustration get the better of you. 

2 hours ago, FlexT_ape said:

why are mod makers lying?

A better question is: Why are you insulting people who make you stuff for free? Mod authors are under no obligation to create anything at all, be thankful that they do.
From you other thread, I'm pretty certain you are installing mods incorrectly - i.e. in the wrong directory.
But i"m going to go no further than that, if you want help around here, I suggest you sort out your attitude first.

Edited by steve_v

7 hours ago, FlexT_ape said:

I download so many mods (all of them having 1.4.5 in the name) except when I load up my game it there's like 20 notifications saying "please use 1.3.1" or "please use 1.4.1"

If mod makers say that they have updated to 1.4.5, then you can believe them. They have no motivation to tell you something that's not true and flood themselves with support issues.

Instead of jumping to the conclusion that they are lying, can you think of any other possibility?

Spoiler

E.g.:

• maybe they just forgot to update the version checker
  • maybe you installed the mod wrongly
  • maybe you downloaded the wrong file
  • maybe something else...

My point is, why assume bad motives from someone who is just in this for the fun of it and who gave you something for free? :(

7 hours ago, FlexT_ape said:

I download so many mods (all of them having 1.4.5 in the name) except when I load up my game it there's like 20 notifications saying "please use 1.3.1" or "please use 1.4.1"

I'm going to assume you are just extremely frustrated and give you the benefit of the doubt.

I maintain a lot of mods.  and when a new major version of the game comes out (ie:  1.3, 1.4, and eventually 1.5), I spend several weeks rebuilding all of my mods for that version.  and then I have to go and up date all the threads.  It takes a lot of time to do.  I do it for fun, and I don't get paid.  Yes, I do get some small contributions, but believe me, it doesn't pay all my bills.  Far from it.

So, once my mods are working in a new version of the game, AND all the .version files are updated, AND I've updated all the threads AND I've updated CKAN and Spacedock, some problems are inevitably going to be found in the first batch of mods I update.  Even though they are listed as compatible with whatever version is current.

Now, the .version files contain information as to what version the release is for.  It can contain, among other things, a specific version of KSP, or a range of versions for KSP.  For example, a mod can be specific to 1.4.1, or it can be compatible with 1.4.1-1.4.9.

When I did my updates to 1.4, initially I made them specific to 1.4.1 because of the way 1.4 and then Making History was released, and I did not want to bother supporting a version of the game which was literally only available for a week.  So, most of the version files got set to 1.4.1 specifically.  Then 1.4.2 was released, then 1.4.3, and eventually 1.4.4 and 1.4.5.  As I continue to work on mods, I do update the .version files, but in most cases, I don't.  I do try to keep the titles of the threads updated, and as time goes on I do slowly update the older .version files.  But, because of this, and because I don't have hours of time to go back through all of the mods, the situation ends up with KSP-AVC telling you that the mods weren't made for that version of KSP.

It is a bit annoying, and I do have plans to eventually fix KSP-AVC, but that won't help you now.  But all of my mods will work on all versions of 1.4, regardless of the messages you receive.  If you don't want to receive those messages, then there is an option:

Before you do, if any message says that a mod is for 1.3.1, then you should either remove that mod or verify that the 1.3.1 version is still compatible with 1.4.5

First, if you have it installed, delete the KSP-AVC mod.

Then, you can find and delete all the MiniAVC.dll files, but that is tedious and can be prone to mistakes.

or, you can install this mod: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/174445-141-malahs-quick-mods/ which will delete all the MiniAVC.dll files

Edited by linuxgurugamer