The Rest In Peace thread: Joe Flaherty, April 1, 2024

StrandedonEarth

Wasnt a fan of either show, cant say i recall much about Night Court other than I think Brent Spiner was on it at one point. As to their deaths: Perry was a decent enough actor and his death is surprising. As to Moll Im not aware enough of him to comment beyond RIP. 
RIP both.

new page. May this page know no new deaths

Edited by AlamoVampire

11 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Wasnt a fan of either show, cant say i recall much about Night Court other than I think Brent Spiner was on it at one point. As to their deaths: Perry was a decent enough actor and his death is surprising. As to Moll Im not aware enough of him to comment beyond RIP. 
RIP both.

new page. May this page know no new deaths

I cannot recommend Night Court enough. It was a brilliant classic. 

As for Matthew Perry. If you haven't seen Friends, you may still recognize him from a gaming classic: Fallout New Vegas. 
Matthew did a character voice... And not just any voice. Matthew was Benny... Yeah, Benny. The jerk that shoots you in the head during the now famous NV intro.

RIP both of you... You will be missed, but never forgotten!!!  :valsob:  :sob:

17 hours ago, Ryaja said:

For a moment I thought that said Robert Ballard had died and I had a brief heart attack. Still very sad : /

Norman Milton Lear (July 27, 1922 – December 5, 2023) was an American screenwriter and producer who produced, wrote, created or developed over 100 shows.

Lear enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces in September 1942. He served in the Mediterranean theater as a radio operator and gunner on Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress bombers with the 772nd Bomb Squadron, 463rd Bomb Group of the Fifteenth Air Force; in a 2014 interview, he talked about bombing Germany. He flew 52 combat missions and received the Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters. Lear was discharged from the Army Air Forces in 1945. 

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 12/6/2023 at 8:40 AM, AlamoVampire said:

Norman Milton Lear (July 27, 1922 – December 5, 2023) was an American screenwriter and producer who produced, wrote, created or developed over 100 shows.

He flew 52 combat missions in B-17s as a radio operator—trumping all his TV shows as an accomplishment.

On 12/10/2023 at 8:45 AM, tater said:

I've managed to talk to quite a few, and all of them basically say, "I was just doing my job" and/or something like, "The real heroes are all still there, buried."

My dad readily admitted that he spent most of the war skirting the ragged line between getting shot by the Germans and getting shot for desertion. If there was an opportunity to not see combat he took it. I don't blame him either, he was just a kid for Pete's sake.

Edited by TheSaint
Typo

49 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

My dad readily admitted tbat he spent most of the war skirting the ragged line between getting shot by the Germans and getting shot for desertion. If there was an opportunity to not see combat he took it. I don't blame him either, he was just a kid for Pete's sake.

Those USAAF guys had no real choice. Their casualty rates were insane, too. I went to an 8th AF luncheon, and sat with a few old guys. A fighter pilot (P-47) gave the talk that day, and he talked about them all being kids and that they felt invulnerable. He said, "If you had told us at the briefing early in the morning that 9 out of 10 of us were not coming home, we all would have all looked around the room and thought, 'You poor bast*ards'."

On 12/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, tater said:

Those USAAF guys had no real choice. Their casualty rates were insane, too. I went to an 8th AF luncheon, and sat with a few old guys. A fighter pilot (P-47) gave the talk that day, and he talked about them all being kids and that they felt invulnerable. He said, "If you had told us at the briefing early in the morning that 9 out of 10 of us were not coming home, we all would have all looked around the room and thought, 'You poor bast*ards'."

Yeah, Dad's brother was a waist gunner on a B-17, KIA. It's funny, the story that the family was told, that my father always knew, was that he was shot down over Germany. But I came to find out, after reading stories on his unit's reunion site, that it was suspected sabotage. His plane was taking off for a mission and exploded just after lifting off at the end of the runway. In the investigation afterwards they found evidence that there were German spies operating in the area who may have infiltrated the base and planted explosives on the planes. The War Department decided to tell the families that they were shot down over Germany to preserve morale back home.