The Rest In Peace thread:James Earl Jones, September 9, 2024.

StrandedonEarth

8 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Bye Bob!

For those that don’t know, this is a reference to the Apple TV+ drama For All Mankind, in which the characters in S1 are left with only tapes of The Bob Newhart Show to watch when a Saturn V explodes and they get stranded on the Moon for a couple months longer than anticipated.

They have a rule where they all have to say “Hi Bob!” whenever one person says it.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The mighty Martin Mars water bomber, Hawaii Mars, has completed its last flight. Her sister aircraft, Philippine Mars, will make its final flight to the Pima Air and Space museum later this year. May they rust, er, rest in peace, not pieces.

454890506_10162296773427164_549240964221

Aw that’s sad. I remember seeing a Smithsonian Channel documentary about them when I was little. I built a boxy mini version of it out of spare Legos from pick a brick. I was lucky to have the exact number of red and white pieces needed, and I had a lot of fun playing with it.

Apparently I haven't been paying attention lately. I have three to report:

Peter Marshall passed away today. My dad loved Hollywood Squares. I think a large part of my sense of humor originated from listening to Paul Lynde's sarcastic answers on that show. But Peter Marshall was the solid center, the rock that anchored us in the midst of the madness. His soothing voice was a memorable part of my childhood.

Wally Amos, the man who created the Famous Amos cookie brand, passed away on Tuesday. If you've never heard his story, it is the classic tale of someone who had more marketing skill than business savvy.

Greg Kihn, of The Greg Kihn Band, also passed on Tuesday. He wasn't quite a One-Hit-Wonder. But he did pump out a respectable body of work in the 1980s.

Okay, @StrandedonEarth, you're gonna have to pick your favorite here. ;)

• 3 weeks later...