Rational Resources 2.0.6 [Apr 02, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

Alright, I think I've figured out the order of operations between RRSquad and Cryotanks that's causing issues.

1. FOR RationalResourcesSquad, RRSquad's RR_SquadTanks.cfg patches parts from specific manufacturers, deleting the RESOURCE nodes and replacing them with b9partswitch subtypes. The comment suggests it happens "without CryoTanks" but there is no CryoTanks check in the conditions.

2. FOR zzz_CryoTanks, CryoTanksFuelSwitcher.cfg looks for any parts with certain RESOURCE nodes, deleting the nodes and replacing them with b9 subtypes. Because of the earlier step, it finds nearly nothing, but does apply to parts like the MEM because RRSquad doesn't patch parts made by Sean's Cannery. This means basically no parts get the boiloff module.

3. AFTER zzz_CryoTanks, RRCompanion's TankTypes.cfg patches parts from specific manufacturers that have a b9partswitch with an id of "fuelSwitch", like CryoTanks adds. Presumably this only affects things from step 2.

In the end, it mostly works: Parts have the range of fuels you'd expect them to, but basically nothing gets the boiloff mechanics from cryotanks despite the comments seeming to suggest that cryotanks should have been taking priority.

I suspect, but have not confirmed, that checking for !CryoTanks in the step 1 patches would fix this.

The "intake atm" mode from the RR rcs family thruster doesn't seem to consume any energy source to generate thrust, only Intake atm. That seems like magic since you needs energy input to generate a thrust

@Vaskritaya 1, 2. Maybe there is a big hole in my logic that I never realized was there? The idea was: If not CryoTanks: Then RR Squad; If CryoTanks: Then point #3. I personally didn't have much interest in boiloff but I'll address that soon-ish.

Spoiler

Sean's Cannery, eh? I missed a spot.

3. The part where RR Squad and CryoTanks get along is that RR adds its extraneous cryogen tank types (Ammonia, CO2, Nitrogen...) to CryoTanks-compatible parts from many mods. (The mods are manually added. There's no autodetecting CryoTanks' fuel switcher in them.)

@Iso-Polaris Air-breathing RCS assumes pressure-fed power which assumes the same vessel has a turbofan or turbojet engine or a precooler intake for supplying that pressure. In that case, there is no need (and I don't want to open the related can of worms) to find and patch all intakes or engines that are turbofans to generate a  "stored pressure" resource. Related: MonoProp RCS use a catalyzer of some sort (I presume resistive heating) to give energy to the MonoProp. These *should* cost some tiny amount of EC like probe core idle usage but they don't. It's handwaved.

I ran into a sort of similar problem back before 2.0 (I haven't checked to see if it was fixed with 2.0, since I kind of forgot I was running a custom patch to fix it until I was reminded just now) with drills not showing the option to mine uraninite when both NearFutureElectrical (which adds uraninite mining to the two stock drills) and RationalResourcesKerbalism (which then deletes the modules and replaces them with B9 ones without including uraninite) were installed.

1 hour ago, Iso-Polaris said:

However turbofan engines generate ECs, to the air-breathing could consume EC (game balance wise)

I'm going to consider having that be its own part. But having it ask for some EC (to drive a dedicated pump, for example) sounds good.

• 2 weeks later...

Release 2.0.3

• Updated RationalResources:
    • Fixed atmo scanner not detecting "liquid" resources. @Iso-Polaris
  • Updated RationalResourcesCompanion:
    • Added missing LqdDeuterium output to RealFuels Water Splitter process.
    • Doubled the resource flows (except for ElectricCharge) of Methalox, Hydrolox and Water Splitter processes. @kspnerd122
  • Updated RationalResourcesKerbalism:
    • Added missing Uraninite drill option. @AmanitaVerna
    • Doubled the resource flows of Water Splitter process.
  • Updated RationalResourcesNuclearFamily:
    • Added RRTN key to opt-in for targeting thermal nozzle parts.
    • Moved Sterling Systems' thermal nozzles under this. @kspnerd122
  • Updated RationalResourcesParts:
  • Updated RationalResourcesSquad:
    • Fixed CryoTanks detection: Do not add own switcher setup to stock tanks if CryoTanks installed.
    • If CryoTanks not installed, ensure stock tanks have boiloff module.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts on the Rock resource that this mod has endorsed for a while now but not yet allowed for much use of:

• It intends to be available in exosphere so you can effectively mine the dust rings of ringed planets or the clouds of nebulous places in KSP. It already is available in the exospheres of airless worlds in supported planet packs.
  • It is nearly omnipresent like Ore but is not omnipotent and completely abstract like Ore.
    • It is made available as a propellant option to the mass driver engines (which run on Ore) in Stockalike Mining Expansion.
  • It yields more than just Oxygen (though, it doesn't yield Oxygen directly) for users of the likes of Molten Rock Electrolysis.
  • It is equivalent to MKS' Dirt resource in that it makes up the bulk of a planet's composition and can be sifted into many common resources (but not every resource that's present on the given planet). My draft for how that works out is visualized here:
    image.png?ex=65dacc78&is=65c85778&hm=23f

Your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 1:06 AM, JadeOfMaar said:
  • image.png?ex=65dacc78&is=65c85778&hm=23f

Your thoughts?

It sounds like this would make it possible to produce LFO or methalox anywhere? I have no clue how to interpret the numbers to know if this would be a fast process or not but I assume the intention is for making fuel from rock to be slower than making it from directly mined resources that don't have to be sifted from rock first?

3 hours ago, AmanitaVerna said:

to produce LFO or methalox anywhere

I've been entertaining the ideas of the following for this exact case:

1. Change the RR LFO process to ask for CO2 + Hydrogen Water and absorb the water splitting step, saving some CPU and saving the user a step.
  2. Introduce a process that may be very slow or wasteful of Rock and represents Petroleum distillation, producing both LiquidFuel and Methane.
  3. Introduce a process for splitting LiquidFuel into Methane.
  4. (Very unlikely) introduce a resource for Coal/Kerogen/Shale which can be distilled with very high speed and efficiency. This kind of thing largely comes from fossilized life but most planets tend to not have evidence of flora and fauna.
4 hours ago, AmanitaVerna said:

I assume the intention is for making fuel from rock to be slower than making it from directly mined resources that don't have to be sifted from rock first?

Yep. That's how that is.

Release 2.0.4

• Added missing Spodumene scanner option.
    • Updated exo templates' Rock resource provisions.
  • Updated RationalResourcesJetFamily:
    • Added cryofuel switcher for rocket engines. (Required by OPT spaceplane and possible other mods.)
    • Added provisions for air-breathing engines that run LFO + deoxygenated IntakeAtm. (Required by OPT spaceplane.)
    • Added provisions for dual-mode thermal nozzle engines (with toggle for fan-based or rocket-based air-breathing mode).
    • Fixed thrust curve issue with thermal nozzle fuel options.
    • Fixed patch problem with Wrapper Intake.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 6:29 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Release 1.49

• Added RR MaterialKits option for Convert-O-Trons. (This currently only appears if Global Construction installed.)

@UltraJohn Let me know how things go. Penny for your thoughts: If there was an all-new ISRU part in RR Parts that could fill a large gameply hole or it reflects an ISRU feature you like in other games, what would you have it be?

https://github.com/JadeOfMaar/RationalResources/blob/master/GameData/RationalResourcesCompanion/CRP/Opt-in_ConvertOTrons.cfg

I checked, and I do have this file.  I do have this part, but I do NOT have what is shown in the screenshot below.

57aNcjP.png

Global Construction (GroundConstruction 2.7.1)
Global Construction Core (GroundConstruction-Core 2.7.1)

Rational Resources (RationalResources 2.0.4)
Rational Resources Companion (RationalResourcesCompanion 2.0.4)
Rational Resources Kerbalism (RationalResourcesKerbalism 2.0.4)
Rational Resources Parts (RationalResourcesParts 2.0.4)
Rational Resources Squad (RationalResourcesSquad 2.0.4)

Kerbalism (Kerbalism 3.19)
Kerbalism - Default Config (Kerbalism-Config-Default 3.19)
Kerbalism Side Patches (KerbalismSidePatches 1.0)
Kerbalism System Heat (Kerbalism-SystemHeat 0.5.0)

ReStock (ReStock 1.4.3)
Restock Waterfall Expansion (RestockWaterfallExpansion 2.2.0 (PR))
ReStock+ (ReStockPlus 1.4.3)

8 hours ago, Ker Ball One said:

I checked, and I do have this file.  I do have this part, but I do NOT have what is shown in the screenshot below.

You won't have the RR MaterialKits chain because the screenshot doesn't apply to Kerbalism. However, since you mentioned it, I've written a Kerbalism version of it. Is this sufficient?

1PeusYt.png

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You won't have the RR MaterialKits chain because the screenshot doesn't apply to Kerbalism. However, since you mentioned it, I've written a Kerbalism version of it. Is this sufficient?

Thank you.  I managed to create a part module for the Mobile Processing Lab, which makes more sense since MaterialKits should be more complex than what might be a chemical conversion in an ISRU.  I modified from a SCON config.  Plus, I didn't want to interfere with how Kerbalism is reworking the stock Convert-O-Trons.
I probably have to do the same with SpecializedParts too.  Might make it more complicated and slower, like with Exotic or Minerals so I have to mine another resource.

I still need some help storing Metals and MetallicOre.    Configurable Containers has all the resources provided by CRP it seems.  But not Metals and MetallicOre. 

Edited by Ker Ball One

On 3/8/2024 at 1:41 AM, Ker Ball One said:

I still need some help storing Metals and MetallicOre.    Configurable Containers has all the resources provided by CRP it seems.  But not Metals and MetallicOre. 

This should be quite helpful.

TANKTYPE
{
    name = RRMetals
    UsefulVolumeRatio = 1
    TankCostPerSurface = 1
    PossibleResources = Aluminium 1; Lithium 1; MetallicOre 1; Metals 1; RareMetals 1;
}
TANKCONF
{
    name = RR Metals
    TANK
    {
        TankType = RRMetals
        CurrentResource = MetallicOre
        InitialAmount = 1
        Volume = 100
    }
}

6 hours ago, Rasmus932 said:

hello! is this mod compatible with ksp interstellar extended? 

To some small degree, yes, but with how much is going on with KSPI-E and that I don't use it, largely no. Compatibility exists (as far as I'm aware) in that:

• Alumina, Mopedantte and Spodumene are kept around, they get placed and get abundance bonuses in some planet templates.
  • Every compatible planet gets rich resource loadouts in their atmospheres, near space and oceans.

If there's anything in particular that you're interested in, let me know. I'm curious enough but I can't simply promise it since I want to not end up committing to a big project I might not be very motivated for.

• 3 weeks later...

Release 2.0.6

• Added Kerbal Star Systems 2 support.
    • Updated JNSQ support.
    • Removed an odd need of RationalResourcesCompanion that resulted in B9PS fatal errors.
  • Updated RationalResourcesKerbalism:
    • Added MaterialKits prcoess.
    • Added boiloff configs to RR CryoTanks for a rather wide array of cryo resources.
    • Removed Sterling Engines. RRNF will be baked into Sterling Engines.

57 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Release 2.0.6

Sorry to say I'm getting log spam and major lag. I have JNSQ and was orbiting Minmus. Didn't try elsewhere.

Reverted to 2.0.4 and it did stop BUT I think it still did it the first KSP session after reverting RR and the second attempt was good. That seems krazy; just full disclosure in case it matters. 

Spoiler

[ERR 21:59:05.291] [RESOURCES] - Error in - ResourceMap_GetAbundance - System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
  at System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) [0x00083] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) [0x00000] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.IFormatProvider provider) [0x0000e] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Convert.ToSingle (System.String value, System.IFormatProvider provider) [0x00009] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.String.System.IConvertible.ToSingle (System.IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Convert.ChangeType (System.Object value, System.Type conversionType, System.IFormatProvider provider) [0x0018e] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Convert.ChangeType (System.Object value, System.Type conversionType) [0x0000c] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at ResourceUtilities.LoadNodeProperties[T] (ConfigNode node) [0x00081] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at ResourceUtilities.ImportConfigNodeList (ConfigNode[] nodes) [0x00041] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at ResourceCache.LoadResourceInfo (System.String node) [0x0000d] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at ResourceCache.get_BiomeResources () [0x0001c] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at ResourceMap.GetAbundance (AbundanceRequest request) [0x00135] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 

[ERR 21:59:05.294] [RESOURCES] - Error in - ResourceMap_GetAbundance - System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
  at System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) [0x00083] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) [0x00000] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.IFormatProvider provider) [0x0000e] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Convert.ToSingle (System.String value, System.IFormatProvider provider) [0x00009] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.String.System.IConvertible.ToSingle (System.IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Convert.ChangeType (System.Object value, System.Type conversionType, System.IFormatProvider provider) [0x0018e] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at System.Convert.ChangeType (System.Object value, System.Type conversionType) [0x0000c] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0 
  at ResourceUtilities.LoadNodeProperties[T] (ConfigNode node) [0x00081] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at ResourceUtilities.ImportConfigNodeList (ConfigNode[] nodes) [0x00041] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at ResourceCache.LoadResourceInfo (System.String node) [0x0000d] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at ResourceCache.get_BiomeResources () [0x0001c] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at ResourceMap.GetAbundance (AbundanceRequest request) [0x00135] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 

The logs are 80 MB for a short session.

KSP log

Player log

@Krazy1 As it so happens I left a null in a JNSQ config. Please open GameData\RationalResources\Deployment\Pack_JNSQ\JNSQ_Custom.cfg and go to line 237 (if you have an advanced text editor) or (if you don't) find ResourceName = RareMetals then where you see MinAbundance with no value, give it a value.

BIOME_RESOURCE:NEEDS[JNSQ]
{
	ResourceName = RareMetals
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Edna
	BiomeName = Whites
	Tag = Applied
	Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 100
		MinAbundance = 8 // There was no value here
		MaxAbundance = 12
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 10
	}
}

If the exact error continues, let me know.

17 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

comma as the decimal separator?

USA

16 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

where you see MinAbundance with no value, give it a value.

Reinstalled v2.0.6 (obviously). Found missing value, set =8.

That seems to work. No issues.

Just browsing the JNSQ files I noticed in JNSQ_Default.cfg line 225 doesn't follow the pattern of starting with @. Maybe typo? No idea what I'm looking at however.

@LindorInSpaceHigh = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_AtmGasIIHigh$
		@LindorInSpaceLow = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_AtmGasIILow$
		@KrelInSpaceHigh = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneHigh$
		@KrelInSpaceLow = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneLow$ $@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_ExoNone$
		@AdenInSpaceHigh = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneHigh$
		@AdenInSpaceLow = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneLow$ $@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_ExoNone$
		@HuygenInSpaceHigh = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneHigh$
		@HuygenInSpaceLow = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneLow$ $@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_ExoNone$
		HuygenSrfSplashed = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_OcnMethane$
		@RigaInSpaceHigh = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneHigh$
		@RigaInSpaceLow = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneLow$ $@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_AtmIceNitrogen$ 
		@TalosInSpaceHigh = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneHigh$
		@TalosInSpaceLow = #$@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_SrfIceMethaneLow$ $@RR_SCIDICT/RR_Class_ExoNone$

For anybody reading this trying to figure out they see no resources on the Mun or Minmus (and presumably other bodies), the missing minAbundance mentioned above is the root cause and the fix is to add that number

On 4/3/2024 at 2:48 AM, Krazy1 said:

Just browsing the JNSQ files I noticed in JNSQ_Default.cfg line 225 doesn't follow the pattern of starting with @. Maybe typo? No idea what I'm looking at however.

Actually, the keys for JNSQ's added planets should have the @ prefix on them. idk how but I confused myself and did that and the experiment gives the default answer "unsupported planets" for all of those. That's fixed now.