What is Your Favorite Movie? (Oldies Included)

Mr. Peabody

I have several "favorite" movies I go to. It all depends on my mood:

• Just needing an escape from reality or depression (no particular order):
    • A Knight's Tale
    • The Three Musketeers
    • Robin Hood: Men in Tights
    • Spaceballs
    • Dracula: Dead and Loving It
    • Smokey and the Bandit
    • Star Trek III: Search for Spock
    • Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
  • Wanting a movie with a good story line and mental stimulation (again, no particular order):
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
    • Star trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek: Into the Darkness
    • Star Trek: First Contact
    • The Last Starfighter
    • Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
    • Star Wars: Rogue One
    • Apollo 13
    • Contact

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Wanting a movie with a good story line and mental stimulation (again, no particular order):

• The Last Starfighter

"That's the spirit!"

A good list there. Reminds me that I haven't seen Smokey in ages. Which reminds me of his other movies, like  Hooper and  The Cannonball Run

Is it safe to assume that movies like those also inspired the epic cop chase  scene in The Blues Brothers?

Star Wars (would watch more often but the household is rowdy about it)

Harry Potter (not that much often but ok)

Lord of the Rings (the movies helped explain a lot of the book but I don't like the love addition to the movies)

most Pixar films (I like childhood classics, but not the first movie I would want to watch)

The Princess Bride (you killed my father, prepare to die)

The Iron Giant (cold war cartoon that is humorous, emotional, great plot, and my favorite superhero)

and some more.

Edited by Guest

On 9/21/2020 at 3:13 PM, adsii1970 said:

• Just needing an escape from reality or depression (no particular order):
    • Spaceballs
  • Wanting a movie with a good story line and mental stimulation (again, no particular order):
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
    • Apollo 13

Ah, I see that you are a man of culture as well!

My all time fav' is Strange Days, by Katherine Bigelow with Ralph Fienes, Juliet Lewis and Angela Basset.

It's a techno thriller about events similar to the one who started the LA's racial riots of 1995. You have paranoid infused conspiracy, SQUIDS which allow you to record your sensory input on minidisks and to replay it later, a live concert of Skunk Anansie and a racist, violent and militarized LAPD (we're talking checkpoint in the street defended by tanks), all with a end of the world feeling that you can only feel during the 2000 new years eve in a society on a brink of chaos.

Second one would be Jonhy Mnemonic probably. Or the John Wick trilogy. But I do have a soft spot for anything Keanu Reeves soooo...

I had to think about this for a long time.... If I had to choose just one, it would be the 1954 classic "Them!"
This was the one that really got me when I was growing up, and just seemed so much more believable than other movies of the time. Most were just silly. 
But something as simple and mundane as an anthill on the edge of White Sands???  White Sands, New Mexico???
That could almost be believable... 

This is a real gem, and a must if you're into old classic sci-fi

Spoiler

Edited by Just Jim

Planet Of The Apes (The orginal, not the new ones). Apcolypse Now, Back To The Future, Bridge on the river Kwai

On 9/22/2020 at 5:07 PM, Okhin said:

My all time fav' is Strange Days, by Katherine Bigelow with Ralph Fienes, Juliet Lewis and Angela Basset.

It's a techno thriller about events similar to the one who started the LA's racial riots of 1995. You have paranoid infused conspiracy, SQUIDS which allow you to record your sensory input on minidisks and to replay it later, a live concert of Skunk Anansie and a racist, violent and militarized LAPD (we're talking checkpoint in the street defended by tanks), all with a end of the world feeling that you can only feel during the 2000 new years eve in a society on a brink of chaos.

Second one would be Jonhy Mnemonic probably. Or the John Wick trilogy. But I do have a soft spot for anything Keanu Reeves soooo...

Speed

Oh, it was not about the quality of the movie, I genuinely forgot about it, and I do not why. maybe I haven't watched it enough to remember it ? My memory collection devices works in the strangest ways. And I'm OK for cheesy too, I do watch a lot of rom coms after all. Or movies without much of a scenario. I'm easily entertained, as long as you do not try to explain me everything's happening (show, don't tell). Or as long as your not just showing of and pretend you don't (like the Star Wars movies made since the eighties. And well, there's only Empire Strikes back that I do appreciate, but I'm probably not the targeted audience anyway).

3 hours ago, Okhin said:

Well, I tend to think that we should keep JJ Abrams away from classic sci-fi. After all he also did bad things with Star Trek.

I still like JJ. Lost is one of my favorite television shows of all time, rewatching it with the kids right now. Personally, I liked the new Star Trek movies, although I totally agree with the Star Trek fan base: They were not Star Trek at all. They were summer blockbuster popcorn action flicks. But they were good summer blockbuster popcorn action flicks. The Star Wars sequels were not good, but I suspect they suffered more from Death By Committee than Death By Abrams. There were a great many people who needed them to be successful who felt like they needed to be involved that had no creative talent at all. Or too much creative talent and not enough personal restraint. If JJ committed a crime there I suspect it was failing to rule with an iron fist. But I digress.

I don't know if I have a favorite movie, as such, although Star Trek II is my favorite science fiction movie of all time. I have some favorite screenwriters. (Because it's about the script. It's always about the script.) Charlie Kaufman is amazing, probably the best screenwriter of his time. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Adaptation are incredible screenplays. I've liked Christopher Nolan ever since I saw Memento on a lark at an art house showing twenty years ago. I like Wes Anderson too, although I find his direction and visual style more engaging than his writing.

5 hours ago, Okhin said:

Wait, Memento is from Nolan ?

(When I told you I'm bad at names :p)

It was. It's funny for me because Memento was filmed all around where I grew up. The motel Leonard was staying at is about ten minutes from the house I grew up in, our favorite Chinese restaurant was just a couple doors down from it. (Restaurant is gone now, but the motel is still there.)

On 9/22/2020 at 5:07 PM, Okhin said:

Absolutely fantastic film. I go back and rewatch that every half decade or so. A film that was way before its time and yet impossible to move anywhere else. Was an absolute favorite in my groups of high schools and college friends. Had a tiny bit more punch back in the previous century, especially when cybernoir was still a living genre. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.