The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

On 3/2/2024 at 1:36 PM, TheSaint said:

Went to see Dune: Part Two today. Totally worth seeing on the big screen. Although, you can tell they had a hard time squeezing 900 pages into two movies. There were a lot of parts where it was like, "So, this is super important to the plot, but we don't have a lot of time to show it. So, here it is. Now, let's move on." The Director's Cut is going to be like a mini-series.

this is where i complain that it takes us months to get movies here. it will probibly be up for streaming before i can go see it. the rest of this month seems to be booked up (with more super hero hogwash), so april maybe.

Edited by Nuke

Thanks for verifying that it's worth it. I was going to see it this Tuesday but my kid  had a hockey game rescheduled then. So now we have to wait for next Cheapskate Tuesday....

Just now, Nuke said:

this is where i complain that it takes us months to get movies here. it will probably be up for streaming before i can go see it. the rest of this month seems to be booked up (with more super hero hogwash), so april maybe.

When we moved to Mackenzie, BC in my teens, the theater there was many months behind. Even though we were only there for four months, it closed down in that time. That was right when VCR rentals were taking off, so that's what killed it.

7 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Thanks for verifying that it's worth it. I was going to see it this Tuesday but my kid  had a hockey game rescheduled then. So now we have to wait for next Cheapskate Tuesday....

When we moved to Mackenzie, BC in my teens, the theater there was many months behind. Even though we were only there for four months, it closed down in that time. That was right when VCR rentals were taking off, so that's what killed it.

its worse then that, we get one movie a week, usually. its run by the high school to pay for student sports programs. assuming the school doesn't need the auditorium or has the operators playing ball in another town.

On 2/13/2024 at 10:11 AM, razark said:

If that’s the one I think it is, it should be airing on CNN in April or May.

"CNN has informed us that they plan to broadcast the first two episodes of the CNN series on the 7th of April, starting at 9pm ET/PT and then the third and fourth programmes on the 14th of April at the same time. This is subject to change if a big news story happens and disrupts the schedule, but these are the planned dates. The series is called Space Shuttle Columbia: The Final Flight. "

• 3 weeks later...

So the Rebel Moon 2 trailer has dropped and word is, it looks as bad as the first film.

You know, some years ago I thought the industry fatcats are going to try and cook up another Star Wars now that the real ones are hollowed out and dying. I just didn't expect them to dip into literal Sequel Trilogy reject pile and fetch someone whose previous (IIRC) big-budget project required bringing Joss Whedon out of the doghouse.

Oh, well, the backstage drama and economics are better than the movies they write these days.

dune2 was up on the high school sign, so that's what im doing friday night. i re-watched part 1 a couple days ago. ive read all the books but decided i dont need a reason to watch a worm movie.

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

I'm a cringe accelerationist now.

The producer had two scripts in development at the time, one starring Margot Robbie in a female-led spinoff and one without.

Let it happen. Let it bomb. Let it burn. We must find out where rock bottom is.

5 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

No.

You're wrong. But you're not a bad person. ;)

not to say i don't like movies about pirates. i just don't like fantasy pirates.

Really, what made the Pirates of the Caribbean movies work was Johnny Depp. Everything else about them, the writing, the directing, the acting, was mediocre at best. If Johnny Depp had not been in the first movie, there would not have been a second. However, I'm sure that everyone else involved (incorrectly) believed that they were what made the movies work. That they're perfectly capable of making a successful Pirates movie without Johnny Depp. Which is why this reboot is happening, and why it is (in all probability) going to fail miserably. One of the (many) things wrong with modern Hollywood is the preponderance of self-conceit.

6 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

However, I'm sure that everyone else involved (incorrectly) believed that they were what made the movies work.

IIRC the series basically ventured past their expiration date, as so many franchises have. The loss of Depp - likely irreversible, what even is the poor guy up to these days? - was just the final nail in the coffin.

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Really, what made the Pirates of the Caribbean movies work was Johnny Depp. Everything else about them, the writing, the directing, the acting, was mediocre at best.

I think the combination of choreography and music also made the first 3 movies - and especially the first movie - stand out. Call me a sucker but if the characters are stepping, jumping, and contacting swords in a seemingly chaotic way that just so happens to match the music I'm gonna be happy.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:32 AM, Nuke said:

not to say i don't like movies about pirates. i just don't like fantasy pirates.

This. Age of sail movies that turn to nonsense/magic suck, IMHO. Ignoring the fact that pirates need to be executed, so I root for the navy.

Would have liked to see an actual movie of Master and Commander (the first O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin book). I enjoyed the one they made, though it was a mishmash of maybe 10 books.

On 3/28/2024 at 11:47 AM, TheSaint said:

Really, what made the Pirates of the Caribbean movies work was Johnny Depp. Everything else about them, the writing, the directing, the acting, was mediocre at best. If Johnny Depp had not been in the first movie, there would not have been a second. However, I'm sure that everyone else involved (incorrectly) believed that they were what made the movies work. That they're perfectly capable of making a successful Pirates movie without Johnny Depp. Which is why this reboot is happening, and why it is (in all probability) going to fail miserably. One of the (many) things wrong with modern Hollywood is the preponderance of self-conceit.

This as well. Minus him the movies are literally less than nothing. Let it burn.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:07 AM, Superfluous J said:

I think the combination of choreography and music also made the first 3 movies - and especially the first movie - stand out. Call me a sucker but if the characters are stepping, jumping, and contacting swords in a seemingly chaotic way that just so happens to match the music I'm gonna be happy.

It's not wrong to enjoy "dumb action". Films don't have to be "high art".

It's just that these days they struggle even with being that much.

3 hours ago, tater said:

Ignoring the fact that pirates need to be executed, so I root for the navy.

I remember discussing the initial stages of a science fiction TTRPG campaign with a friend of mine once.

He says, "I want us to be pirates!"

I said, "So, you realize that if you're pirates you'll be killing innocent people for money?"

He's all, "Well...I want to be...like...the other kind of pirates...."

47 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Privateers. They are both navy and pirates 2-in-1. Should they commit suicide?

Operating under color of law is fine—though the other side might well treat you as pirates, since that's what a Letter of Marque is, legal piracy—which is a fundamental right held by the people in some places (to personally own warships if they feel like it so that they can be granted Letters of Marque and Reprisal).

Edited by tater

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

if you're pirates you'll be killing innocent people for money?

What's the purpose of killing the in-NO-CENT people for money?
As pirates, you should avoid the people with no cent, you should rob the in-A-LOT-OF-CENT people. See the Robbing Hood practice.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Operating under color of law is fine—though the other side might well treat you as pirates, since that's what a Letter of Marque is, legal piracy—which is a fundamental right held by the people in some places (to personally own warships if they feel like it so that they can be granted Letters of Marque and Reprisal).

And here we come to the question: why is the license given by the state, founded by the Normandy usurpator Guillaume le Bâtard, aka William The Conqueror, who later conquered and depopulated England, considered more legal than similar license from any free pirate republic?
Only cuz they can?

(Here we also come to the Ankh-Morpork Guilds of Thieves and Killers.)

Looks like the people behind the new Fallout series got the wrong idea about what the Brotherhood of Steel is. It's not that I mind the aesthetics, it's just those are misplaced aesthetics.

cAobKkY3Ilk.jpg?size=2560x1705&quality=9

Edited by DDE
Replaced non-functional link