The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

• 2 weeks later...

There's no way Napoleon isn't the first part of a trilogy. Otherwise something snowy and the size of one-sixth of the planet is missing from the trailer.

346889979815399.jpeg

Spoiler

Also, it's quite ironic that they're trying to push Josephine into the obligatory stronk woman slot when history offers such stellar candidates as Germaine de Staël, a French revolutionary who was too revolutionary for the Corsican, the hawkish Queen Louise of Prussia, whose actions at the time earned her posthumous worship, Catherina Pavlovna of Oldenburg, whom Napoleon actually sought to marry after dumping Josephine, and whom Russian hawks at one point actually wanted to depose Alexander I in favor of... Yegor Kholmogorov has quipped that it is women Napoleon had the worst luck with.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:04 AM, DDE said:

There's no way Napoleon isn't the first part of a trilogy. Otherwise something snowy and the size of one-sixth of the planet is missing from the trailer.

OK, the slogan is downright teasing me.

Spoiler

NapoleonTemporaryPoster.jpg

This is actually rather reminiscent of the contemporary cult of personality that surrounded him. But we all know where that went...

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Ah, yes, a couple of weeks back we quartered a napoleon at work over a project we were happy to see gone. I was buying.

23 hours ago, Nuke said:

im suspicious about that one too. wish film makers would leave politics out of the product. 

Well, there's many reasons to be suspicious..

If I have the timeline right, this movie was finished about 2 years ago, and only being released now.

AFAIK, it's all about exposing what has been going on under our noses for decades, by the political elite perps, in a slow gentle way.

The people running the world show at the moment (the silly sh.t that's been on going for the past 3 years),  seem to believe that they must wrap people up in cotton wool and guide their way on thinking, to change their minds. Essentially re-programming/indoctrination of a different kind.

It comes down to this..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill

Edited by ColKlonk2

2 hours ago, ColKlonk2 said:

Well, there's many reasons to be suspicious..

If I have the timeline right, this movie was finished about 2 years ago, and only being released now.

AFAIK, it's all about exposing what has been going on under our noses for decades, by the political elite perps, in a slow gentle way.

The people running the world show at the moment (the silly sh.t that's been on going for the past 3 years),  seem to believe that they must wrap people up in cotton wool and guide their way on thinking, to change their minds. Essentially re-programming/indoctrination of a different kind.

It comes down to this..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill

idk, if its in the 70th percentile or better on imdb/tomatoes il at least give it a watch if i like the description. im a free thinker so i don't prescribe to any one way of thinking. and generally speaking when people give me pills i tend to take all of them and let my liver sort it out.

im strongly anti-religious but i still watch the ten commandments every time its on, because charlton heston is a movie god. i generally dislike what wokeness does to movies, but every now and again you get someone who knows how to make a movie and can turn down the preaching enough to do that. i watch movies because i like movies and if you make a good movie you will receive my praise, if you don't you will receive my indifference. if you want to send a message, your best bet is to make a good movie. what we have now is a low point in watchable movie production, highlighted with a few that are worth watching. in this drought i will take anything that makes a ruckus. 

Edited by Nuke

On 7/13/2023 at 2:37 AM, Nuke said:

im suspicious about that one too. wish film makers would leave politics out of the product. 

From what I understand the film itself is rather apolitical, but existing speculation about involvement of political elites in child sex trafficking and exploitation evidently makes the Western establishment media extremely prickly about any public discussion of the topic - outside of the esoteric conferences of law enforcement and the NGO sphere, which they feel they can control. And you can't get more establishment than Disney...

The best angle of attack thus far has been the accusation of belief in adrenochroming towards the lead actor... and, well, given the undying interest of the rich in rejuvenate treatments, which these days occasionally involve various forms of blood transfusion or organ transplants from younger and, given the underground red market, not necessarily willing donors... I don't think these conspiracy theories are going away any time soon, and for good reason. Nor are vampire stories.

48 minutes ago, DDE said:

From what I understand the film itself is rather apolitical, but existing speculation about involvement of political elites in child sex trafficking and exploitation evidently makes the Western establishment media extremely prickly about any public discussion of the topic - outside of the esoteric conferences of law enforcement and the NGO sphere, which they feel they can control. And you can't get more establishment than Disney...

The best angle of attack thus far has been the accusation of belief in adrenochroming towards the lead actor... and, well, given the undying interest of the rich in rejuvenate treatments, which these days occasionally involve various forms of blood transfusion or organ transplants from younger and, given the underground red market, not necessarily willing donors... I don't think these conspiracy theories are going away any time soon, and for good reason. Nor are vampire stories.

well if it is it might be worth watching then (more so than any overdone zombie/vampire romp). there certainly isnt anything else on my radar other than oppenheimer and dune part 2. 

On 7/10/2023 at 3:04 PM, DDE said:

No, it is not.

Honestly, Timothy Chalemet (sp?) would have been a better choice for a movie that starts with Napoleon before he takes power. The trailer shows maybe the Siege of Toulon? Napoleon was 24 then. For Joaquin Phoenix to be even near the right age, it should just be "The 100 Days." Not sure modern audiences would realize what was accomplished by people right now who at that age would worry about... trivialities.

Other than that, looks well filmed, anyway.

On 7/10/2023 at 4:52 PM, Nuke said:

im gonna give historical fiction a pass until they can give up their diversity quotas and their revisionism and do historical fact again. 

Yeah. Put it this way, I get annoyed when WW2 aircraft in movies have the wrong paint jobs for the time of the movie. So more self-evident changes in the look of period pieces are even worse. I ignore any of those.

On 7/12/2023 at 5:37 PM, Nuke said:

How is child-trafficking "political?" Anyone against such a movie presumably supports the practice?

It could be made up for all I care, all such criminals need to be put in a wood-chipper. I'll happily volunteer to chuck them in (feet first).

Edited by tater

9 hours ago, tater said:

How is child-trafficking "political?" Anyone against such a movie presumably supports the practice?

It could be made up for all I care, all such criminals need to be put in a wood-chipper. I'll happily volunteer to chuck them in (feet first).

all hubub about this movie, good or bad, comes from political sources. even though the more positive opinions come from sources i either partially or wholly agree with. but i cant deny its being used as a political bargaining chip. 

but yes this issue needs to be more in the public awareness and trying to bury it is almost an admission of guilt. 

Edited by Nuke

9 hours ago, tater said:

Unfortunately, this is typical political behavior. If the other side attacks you over an issue, you (1) pretend the issue doesn't actually exist, (2) downplay the issue, (3) pretend the issue is actually a good thing, and (4) question why the other side even cares this much about the issue. The issue simply cannot be allowed to exist, and you are not allowed to care for it.

But it's one thing when this is, say, the slow eradication of redheaded characters in Hollywood - they seem to end up first in the line for a race swap - and it's another thing when the same tactics end up used against child trafficking.

natural hair colors have no place in hollywood.

i wonder if the state of california considers those hair products to cause cancer or if the lobbyists have done a good job. 

The same Hollywood people complaining likely hung out at parties with Harvey Weinstein, knowing exactly the kind of human he was, and saying nothing. It's probably because I am politically unaffiliated, but I am so used to my worldview not being celebrated by popular culture, that I have to actually take movies and TV on a case by case basis, rather than forming an opinion based on what actor happens to be employed, etc.

Like the rest of us here (nerds ;) ) I have to worry most about books I like being turned into tripe by the current Hollywood meat grinder. I used to hope for a cinematic version of this or that novel (thinking science fiction), but now they can stick with ruining comic books, I'd rather not see them spend 100s of millions making a movie version of a book I love, just for me to see so many things wrong in a 1 minute trailer I don't want to see it. "Wow, they just spent a LOT of money just to liquid off fans!"

(filter, lol, I'll just leave it)

3 hours ago, tater said:

The same Hollywood people complaining likely hung out at parties with Harvey Weinstein, knowing exactly the kind of human he was, and saying nothing.

Don't forget the other Weinstein.

13 hours ago, tater said:

It's probably because I am politically unaffiliated, but I am so used to my worldview not being celebrated by popular culture, that I have to actually take movies and TV on a case by case basis, rather than forming an opinion based on what actor happens to be employed, etc.

Am I used to my worldview not being celebrated by popular culture? LOL

Like the rest of us here (nerds ;) ) I have to worry most about books I like being turned into tripe by the current Hollywood meat grinder.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about that for the near future.

2023 SAG-AFTRA strike

Maybe if we're lucky they'll all get made redundant by AI.

(filter, lol, I'll just leave it)

As a complete aside, I always LOL over the content filter here. My father fought the real pedants. The ones who almost conquered the world, not these lame posers that are prancing around these days. But for some reason I'm not supposed to talk about that.

9 hours ago, DDE said:

Don't forget the other Weinstein.

I could fill this thread with memes. But I like @Vanamonde, so I play nice.