[DEFUNCT] AD ASTRA --- Check the latest post and update!

G'th

1.7 Update Preview:

o1y9C4O.png

h9zS3e5.png

jMwLOVM.png

Laythe is obviously going to be changing, which I believe is due to changes in JNSQ itself, but frankly, I LOVE how it looks now so we're stickin with it. 

16 hours ago, G'th said:

While I haven't started on it, I have an inkling to go ahead and update Ad Astra to be up to 1.12.3, or at least whatever the latest version of JNSQ is up to anyway. 

Unlike my Shuttle IVA mod from yesteryear Id rather not end up abandoning this one, particularly considering I want to do a full revamp of it in the long term using the assets I'll be developing for Sol. 

So stay tuned. From what Ive seen getting everything updated, including Scatterer, will be a breeze, so while there may not be anything new, it will at least be confirmed working, which Im sure will be appreciated if nothing else.

Hey @G'th,

Does this mean, that with this beautiful visual mod, we can update Scatterer to the newest version when playing JNSQ?

Edited by N3N

5 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey @G'th,

Does this mean, that with this beautiful visual mod, we can update Scatterer to the newest version when playing JNSQ?

That is 100% correct. That's actually what i'm working on now is going through each body and updating the configs to accommodate the new version. 

Won't have any new bells and whistles that may have been added to scatterer but it will work and still look visually awesome. 

1 minute ago, G'th said:

That is 100% correct. That's actually what i'm working on now is going through each body and updating the configs to accommodate the new version. 

Won't have any new bells and whistles that may have been added to scatterer but it will work and still look visually awesome. 

Hey,

that's great! :wink:

So theoretically this will help to adjust "normal" JNSQ for the newest Scatterer, too?

@Galileo@OhioBob@JadeOfMaar

10 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey,

that's great! :wink:

So theoretically this will help to adjust "normal" JNSQ for the newest Scatterer, too?

@Galileo@OhioBob@JadeOfMaar

Interestingly, for me at least, updating Scatterer has mostly just been to accomodate changes in JNSQ. Whatever changed with Scatterer did not really break my mod, so I can't imagine it actually broke anything with JNSQ.

8 minutes ago, G'th said:

Interestingly, for me at least, updating Scatterer has mostly just been to accomodate changes in JNSQ. Whatever changed with Scatterer did not really break my mod, so I can't imagine it actually broke anything with JNSQ.

Hey @G'th,

on the JNSQ Topic many said that it does have problems:

The last 2 answers of it, for example:

On 4/13/2022 at 7:22 PM, caipi said:

You are not using EVE Redux, are you? I just checked, deleting EVE and using the latest scatterer with JNSQ made Jool, well, it ain't blue or green exactly, but also not turquoise. Let's just say it made it colorful again. :D So I guess if you want to use eve, use scatterer 0.0772. And if you don't use Eve, use the latest scatterer? I dunno. It might just be a question of tweaking the settings properly. I just did a quick check with the "out of the box settings". I have it working in my regular game. This was just a quick test environment.

As for the other part: I just overlooked your edit. I've edited my previous post to reflect your edit. :confused:

On 4/13/2022 at 10:47 PM, OhioBob said:

JNSQ is not updated for any scatterer versions 0.08+.  You should use scatterer 0.0772.*

* Unless the most recent version(s) of scatterer has been updated to be backwards compatible with older configs, but the last time I checked this wasn't the case.

Maybe @caipi and @OhioBob can write more about it?

Edited by N3N

Hmm. I'll give it a try without Ad Astra and see if I can troubleshoot it. I'm pretty quickly picking back up what does what so it might be an easy fix if I can reproduce the bug.

17 minutes ago, G'th said:

Hmm. I'll give it a try without Ad Astra and see if I can troubleshoot it. I'm pretty quickly picking back up what does what so it might be an easy fix if I can reproduce the bug.

Hey,

That would be really great!

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, G'th said:

When I was troubleshooting for Scatterer 0.08xx turning Jool black, I found that it only did that when I was using KSP 1.12.3 + latest Kopernicus stable + JNSQ + Scatterer 0.08xx (of course) + EVE Redux (all stock install, no fiddling around in any settings). Without EVE Redux and with Scatterer 0.08xx, Jool became green/blue again in a unique way. I didn't really pay much attention to what else Scatterer was achieving or failing at this point (compared to the JNSQ-stable Scatterer 0.0772, that is). I'm sorry I can't contribute anything else. That was my main nuisance at the time, so that's what I was focussing on. Looking forward to Ad Astra again. I loved it in the past in my previous JNSQ playthroughs.

Your work is highly appreciated! (A sentence that most modders should probably hear much more often. This game has the best and most dedicated modders I've ever seen in any game.)

2 minutes ago, caipi said:

When I was troubleshooting for Scatterer 0.08xx turning Jool black, I found that it only did that when I was using KSP 1.12.3 + latest Kopernicus stable + JNSQ + Scatterer 0.08xx (of course) + EVE Redux (all stock install, no fiddling around in any settings). Without EVE Redux and with Scatterer 0.08xx, Jool became green/blue again in a unique way. I didn't really pay much attention to what else Scatterer was achieving or failing at this point (compared to the JNSQ-stable Scatterer 0.0772, that is). I'm sorry I can't contribute anything else. That was my main nuisance at the time, so that's what I was focussing on. Looking forward to Ad Astra again. I loved it in the past in my previous JNSQ playthroughs.

Your work is highly appreciated! (A sentence that most modders should probably hear much more often. This game has the best and most dedicated modders I've ever seen in any game.)

Hey @caipi,

Thank you, for answering this! :wink:

And yes, Thanks to @G'th and many other modders, too!

Okeedoke folks, v1.7 is released. Do let me know if anything is broken for you guys.  Download links in the OP.

Changelog:

Updated for 1.12.3
All dependencies (Scatterer, EVE Redux, JNSQ) should be updated in full) 

Changes:
All bodies updated for Scatterer + JNSQ Updates. 
Adjustments made to Huygen and Laythe. Will be different from previous versions but will look far better. 
Minor adjustments to other bodies. 

Installing:
Make a clean install of Ad Astra. Do not try to update over top an old version. Follow the instructions in the readme file to correctly install the needed textures. 

1 hour ago, G'th said:

So I loaded up JNSQ by itself and Jool is working fine with the latest version of Scatterer.

Not sure how much help I can be, but I definitely have different results. My log file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qPhNka6MTF-19JqPSbC9TTBHkc6ZMD_q?usp=sharing

And images. Both screenshots were taken on the daylight side of Eve. Huygens is also black.

Spoiler

This is without AdAstra, just JNSQ + Eve + Scatterer 0.834

UtpBo24.png

This is with AdAstra:

tMm9hGN.png

1 minute ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Not sure how much help I can be, but I definitely have different results. My log file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qPhNka6MTF-19JqPSbC9TTBHkc6ZMD_q?usp=sharing

And images. Both screenshots were taken on the daylight side of Eve. Huygens is also black.

Hide contents

UtpBo24.png

This is with AdAstra:

tMm9hGN.png

Yep I corrected myself lol. 

It should be a relatively easy fix though. If you open up Planetlist.cfg (in GameData\JNSQ\JNSQ_Configs\Scatterer), there is a setting labeled usesCloudIntegration. Set these all to true for each body that has this problem. 

That should fix everything. 

3 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Reveal hidden contents

UtpBo24.png

This is with AdAstra:

tMm9hGN.png

Hey @OrbitalManeuvers,

Maybe that can help you:

See the postings after this.

_______

EDIT: @G'th was faster...:wink:

Edited by N3N

32 minutes ago, G'th said:

That should fix everything. 

Unfortunately for me this change has no effect. I changed it for Eve and Huygens, and both are still black. (Deleted the scatterer cache folder before restart just in case)

TBH, I don't really have too much interest in pursuing this, so if it works for other people then that's awesome! Might just be my dumb whatever.

@G'th Is there a reason that there are two identical(!) planetsList.cfg in AdAstra, one in \Ad_Astra\scatterer\ and the other one in \Ad_Astra\scatterer\Planets\ ?

I'm currently testing Ad Astra 1.7 in a controlled environment with just Kopernicus, JNSQ, Scatterer, and EVE and I ran into a few issues. It might be caused by an installation error on my part, though I did try to follow your installation instructions. Still, I'm doing it while I'm at work (don't tell my boss! xD ), so I might be slightly distracted and some errors might have happened after all... (just as a disclaimer/explanation). I've just checked the planets from the tracking center though. No surface contacts yet.

Let's go from inner to outer planets and moons:

Moho: Is it supposed to have that "dust cover" and is it supposed to be only visible if you look at it from the sun? (see screenshots). I assume this is supposed to be some intentional dust effect to be connected to Moho's low Sun orbit and solar winds. It looks nice, really nice! I'm just asking if it is supposed to look like that.

Spoiler

screenshot074k0j.png

screenshot1ockzw.png

Eve: It looks a bit pale and textureless (when CloudIntegration is enabled. Disabled it's black). Is that what you meant by planets being turned nearly white? I wouldn't really call it white or nearly white, but it still looks a bit overly smooth as if a texture was missing. If it's supposed to look like that, that's fine. Just asking to double check.

Spoiler

screenshot8ehjze.png

Tylo has some weird atmosphere effects with usesCloudIntegration = True (first two images with the planet rotated a bit, to show that it's atmosphere-/lighting-related and not ground texture only). I deactivated CloudIntegration and they were gone (picture 3).

Spoiler

screenshot2vnj8a.png

screenshot342krb.png

screenshot7f1kvr.png

Lindor: It looks a bit dark. Just doesn't feel right to me. Also, there's a weird visual glitch with the rings (last image). So I manually set CloudIntegration to enabled for Lindor and it was fixed (third image).

Spoiler

screenshot4nyjy2.png

screenshot59yjir.png

screenshot92dkjm.png

Tam, one of Eloo's moons, has a weird almost invisible sphere. I don't think it's supposed to look like that.

Spoiler

screenshot6sqkdg.png

Edited by caipi

Oof. So yeah definitely shouldn't be two planetlists. The one in the planets folder should be deleted. 

Moho: Yes that is intentional. It represents material being blasted off by the sun so it isn't as visible if the Sun isnt in view.

Eve: Yes I believe JNSQ changed how EVE looks so now its very washed out. This will need a cloud redo I believe as scatterer just won't make it any darker without redoing JNSQs own irradiance files. 

It should be fine up close from what I saw but yeah from a distance, fairly washed out. 

Tylo: yep, you want that set to false. Thats one of the planets where it shouldn't be turned on. If its like that in the download Ill have to fix that. 

Lindor: Hmm, it shouldn't look like the third one either. I think the two planetlists may not actually be identical and I may have only changed one. Ill have to check the download when I get home. Something definitely is wrong. 

Tam: Yeah thats actually normal and is a limitation of Eve. That should be a dust layer but as a result of how Eve works you end up with that even if its mostly transparent. Seems like that got missed from past versions. Probably because the game was much darker when working under KS3P. 

Should be an easy fix, just have to adjust its settings. 

Well, I fiddled around with the planetlist.cfg a bit more. I checked yours (both are actually identical according to PSPad's text comparison) and the original JNSQ-one. It has some properties which yours are lacking, such as "sunColor" (I don't know what they do, though). Since I didn't want multiple config files competing each other and only one place to edit them, I ended up incorporating most of your old settings or suggestions (here and elsewhere) into the JNSQ planetlist cfg file and deleted yours (this is just for me, but I do think it would be wiser if your install would replace the JNSQ file). This is the one I'm currently using and I think it might be a good basis for you to continue from - if you choose to use it. Just a friendly and humble offer.

Spoiler
@Scatterer_planetsList:AFTER[scatterer]
{		
	!scattererCelestialBodies {}
	scattererCelestialBodies
	{
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Eve
			transformName = Eve
			loadDistance = 300000000
			unloadDistance = 500000000
			hasOcean = True
			flatScaledSpaceModel = False
			usesCloudIntegration = True
			mainSunCelestialBody = Sun
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Gilly
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Kerbin
			transformName = Kerbin
			loadDistance = 300000000
			hasOcean = True
			flatScaledSpaceModel = True
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Mun
				Item = Minmus
			}
			planetshineSources
			{
				Item
				{
					bodyName = Mun
					color = 1,1,1
					intensity = 0.0799999982
					isSun = False
				}
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Duna
			transformName = Duna
			loadDistance = 300000000
			hasOcean = False
			usesCloudIntegration = False
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Ike
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Jool
			transformName = Jool
			loadDistance = 500000000
			unloadDistance = 1E+09
			hasOcean = False
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Laythe
				Item = Vall
				Item = Tylo
				Item = Bop
				Item = Pol
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Laythe
			transformName = Laythe
			loadDistance = 300000000
			hasOcean = True
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Jool
				Item = Vall
				Item = Tylo
				Item = Bop
				Item = Pol
			}
			planetshineSources
			{
				Item
				{
					bodyName = Jool
					color = 0.600000024,1,0.400000006
					intensity = 0.25
					isSun = False
				}
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Tylo
			transformName = Tylo
			loadDistance = 300000000
			hasOcean = False
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Jool
				Item = Vall
				Item = Laythe
				Item = Bop
				Item = Pol
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Lindor
			transformName = Lindor
			loadDistance = 500000000
			unloadDistance = 1E+09
			hasOcean = False
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Aden
				Item = Krel
				Item = Riga
				Item = Talos
				Item = Huygen
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Huygen
			transformName = Huygen
			loadDistance = 300000000
			hasOcean = True
			flatScaledSpaceModel = False
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Aden
				Item = Krel
				Item = Lindor
				Item = Talos
				Item = Riga
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Riga
			transformName = Riga
			loadDistance = 300000000
			hasOcean = False
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Aden
				Item = Krel
				Item = Lindor
				Item = Talos
				Item = Huygen
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Eeloo
			transformName = Eeloo
			loadDistance = 300000000
			hasOcean = False
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Celes
				Item = Tam
			}
		}
		Item
		{
			celestialBodyName = Nara
			transformName = Nara
			loadDistance = 500000000
			unloadDistance = 1E+09
			hasOcean = False
			sunColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0
			eclipseCasters
			{
				Item = Amos
				Item = Enon
				Item = Prax
			}
		}
	}
	!celestialLightSourcesData {}
	celestialLightSourcesData
	{
		Item
		{
			bodyName = Jool
			color = 0.600000024,1,0.400000006
			intensity = 0.25
			isSun = False
			scaledRange = 45000
			fadeRadius = 1
		}
	}
	!sunflares {}
	sunflares
	{
		Item = Sun
	}
}

No guarantees though. I only learn by doing and haven't really done anything in this regard. It still has the washed out Eve and the Tam issue. Lindor looks fine to me, but I don't know what you were expecting there.

As for Tam, I'll have to see how it plays out in my normal modded game, which also includes TU and TUFX. The profile I'm using there might actually hide that layer or sphere or whatever it is.

Well the planetlist I provide -is- replacing JNSQs, and it overwrites any settings that are mutual between the two files, leaving whatevers left alone. (Like sun color which is specific to JNSQ and Ad Astra has no reason to change)

Im at work so Im not able to check, but I actually have a feeling I put the wrong files into the download and it might be that the one we're looking at is 1.6, and not the new one. I ended up accidentally deleting some stuff and having to restore it, so Im thinking thats what happened.

And it makes sense if you had to flip those settings at all; they already should have been. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.