KSP2 tutorials (Developer Insights #5)

I love how this blog post once again refers to Nate Simpson's repeated attempts to indoctrinate his co-workers and family into Kerbal Space Program. KSP truly is a game worth sharing, and I believe these tutorials will go a long way towards making KSP 2 an approachable and entertaining game for future Kerbalnauts.

Edited by prestja

I am actually really worried about how many times these devs keep emphasizing explosions, "They want to fly things and blow them up! " the game isn't about explosions, explosions just come with being bad at holding down SAS, its fun time to time to make things for the mere enjoyment of destruction but this isn't the motivation of the game. I don't know if I'm being too serious or the devs are just generalizing the game.

8 minutes ago, prestja said:

I love how this blog post once again refers to Nate Simpson's repeated attempts to indoctrinate his co-workers and family into Kerbal Space Program

Also confirmed the fact that Nate has another forum account and that actually used it to share crafts.

8 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I don't know if I'm being too serious or the devs are just generalizing the game.

I think it’s generalization, but it also is an essential part of the game. While we try to avoid them, seeing things go “boom” is way more satisfying than some cracks drawn across the screen “windshield”) or your vehicle just stopping dead on the surface without significant damage.

17 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I am actually really worried about how many times these devs keep emphasizing explosions, "They want to fly things and blow them up! " the game isn't about explosions, explosions just come with being bad at holding down SAS, its fun time to time to make things for the mere enjoyment of destruction but this isn't the motivation of the game. I don't know if I'm being too serious or the devs are just generalizing the game.

As much as rockets fly, they also come crashing back into the ground. In a game where you can't avoid having at least half the things you make go hurtling into the ground, it's probably a good idea to emphasise the fact that things will blow up in your face often. It's not like "holding down" (spoiler alert: you can toggle it) SAS can avoid all catastrophes.

As @Bej Kerman  said.  Crashing is a part of the learning process, to let new players know that crashing often does not necessarily mean they are rubbish at it is no bad thing.

There is a difference between 'glorifying' the crashes and giving the idea that it's 'normal' and not to lose heart when it happens frequently.

I like the style of the tutorial artwork, it doesn't need to be flashy, it just needs to convey a message as easily as possible.

18 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

I like that they know kurzgesagt

I saw the animation style and could see the heavy inspiration, then it got mentioned and thought "yup"

18 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

When people start playing the game, there will be lots of explosions and  if you want to retain more people that just blew up a craft they spent 15 minutes working on only for it to instantly be destroyed... You might want the destruction of said vehicle to at least be worth watching. 

Also I am sick of seeing fireballs when landing gear debris hits the ground and the russian proton rocket crash was awesome to see

Edited by mcwaffles2003