CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network) - v1.33.2 Laplace - KSP 2 support!

DasSkelett

On 3/25/2023 at 2:24 PM, CaptainThunder said:

Ckan is just fully not working for me? I uninstalled Ckan and Ksp1 fully and its still not doing it. Its giving me an error but I have no clue what any of it means. I have no clue if it's my fault or not.

Just a guess on my part but it seems as if there's a version mismatch somewhere.  Have you registered a game under File > Manage Game Instances?

6 hours ago, tomkpunkt said:

Maybe someone can help. I use ckan to install and update mods, but when I start the game there are a few mods that do not have the latest version (from GIT). Do I have to update these mods manually or can I add the github repository? 

Which mods specifically?  Perhaps the CKAN team can help.

If the mod author has not released the "latest version" for CKAN by updating the Netkan file it will not appear.  In that case, yes, you would need to install manually but, beware, if you do that, CKAN will only be able to advise you that the mod was "auto detected" ('AD' in the AD column - go figure) and won't update that mod in the future unless you uninstall and reinstall the mod with CKAN again.

If the mod author supports CKAN - not all do - then approach them.

5 hours ago, Brigadier said:

If the mod author has not released the "latest version" for CKAN by updating the Netkan file it will not appear. 

This is not correct. CKAN has a bot that runs in the background and automatically adds new versions of mods that have netkans. Questions about missing updates can be answered on a mod-by-mod basis, if we are told which mods.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

This is not correct. CKAN has a bot that runs in the background and automatically adds new versions of mods that have netkans. Questions about missing updates can be answered on a mod-by-mod basis, if we are told which mods.

I stand corrected.  So no modifications are required on a Netkan file when updating a mod?

Hello. Thanks for creating CKAN. It is awesome. I'm having a problem where CKAN freezes and crashes anytime I click on a box to check or uncheck a box in the program. I suspect it may be related to how CKAN has been asking me to reinstall a mod whose repositories were updated, and then fails every time to reinstall that mod because it conflicts with some other mod. I tried re-downloading CKAN but I still have the same problem. Does anyone know how to solve this, or what steps I could take to figure out how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

31 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I stand corrected.  So no modifications are required on a Netkan file when updating a mod?

Changes to netkans are only required when something changes with regard to how the mod is downloaded or installed. If it's downloaded from the same place and the structure of the ZIP file is the same, the same netkan will work without changes.

7 minutes ago, Joontry said:

CKAN freezes and crashes anytime I click on a box to check or uncheck a box in the program.

That's a known bug, which will be fixed in the next release (see https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/3707). In the meantime, you might be able to work around it by selecting to uninstall ZeroMiniAVC.

On 3/29/2023 at 1:59 PM, tomkpunkt said:

Hello, i unfortunately have not found a quick answer.
Maybe someone can help. I use ckan to install and update mods, but when I start the game there are a few mods that do not have the latest version (from GIT). Do I have to update these mods manually or can I add the github repository? 

Had the same problem since yesterday. Checked CKAN again and again, and right now it tells me >finally< I got alot of updates for my mods ready.

Fly safe :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):

1 hour ago, CaptainThunder said:

No? I'm not even sure what that means. Sorry I can't be more help with this.  

Have you identified a KSP install under CKAN's menu item File > Manage game instance?   If not, that's where you must start.

Have you read the user guide referenced in the OP/Download section?

On 3/29/2023 at 10:36 PM, Joontry said:

Hello. Thanks for creating CKAN. It is awesome. I'm having a problem where CKAN freezes and crashes anytime I click on a box to check or uncheck a box in the program. I suspect it may be related to how CKAN has been asking me to reinstall a mod whose repositories were updated, and then fails every time to reinstall that mod because it conflicts with some other mod. I tried re-downloading CKAN but I still have the same problem. Does anyone know how to solve this, or what steps I could take to figure out how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Having same exact issue!!!

1 hour ago, goober_one said:

Hey, is there a way to check licenses of every mod I've installed without doing it manually? Just wondering.

That depends what you mean by "check licenses." Can you tell us about what you want to do?

Here's a jq command that prints them:

jq -rM '.installed_modules[].source_module | [.identifier,(.license | join(", "))] | @tsv' CKAN/registry.json
Edited by HebaruSan

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That depends what you mean by "check licenses." Can you tell us about what you want to do?

Actually, issue's solved. I'm not going to bother on how to make a modpack without breaking laws, I'm just going to copy and paste the history file and rename it so I can import it again.

1 hour ago, goober_one said:

Actually, issue's solved. I'm not going to bother on how to make a modpack without breaking laws, I'm just going to copy and paste the history file and rename it so I can import it again.

Ahh, that's good. For what it's worth, there's a menu option that makes it somewhat easier:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Sharing-a-modlist-(metapackages)

The CKAN client v1.32.0 "Kepler" is released!

68747470733a2f2f75706c6f61642e77696b696d

Changes since v1.31.2

Features

• [GUI] Red highlight for dependencies on missing DLC (#3698 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [GUI] Clarify mod list saving options, add menu hotkeys (#3771 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [Multiple] Italian translation and other localization fixes (#3780#3781 by: frankieorabona, WujekFoliarz, vinix38, Kalessin1; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [Core] Fix mkbundle executable crash (#3767 by: memchr; reviewed: HebaruSan)
  • [GUI] Show conflicts in changeset (#3727 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [Multiple] KSP2 support (#3797#3808#3811#3817 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)

Bugfixes

• [GUI] Remove duplicate Install changes for upgrades (#3706 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [GUI] Fix GUI freeze with non-empty changeset at startup (#3708 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [GUI] Use changeset tab for reinstall (#3726#3728#3739 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [Core] Fix handling of empty builds.json file (#3733 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: DasSkelett)
  • [Core] Fix FIPS-mode exceptions on Windows for SHA256 (#3774 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [Core] Support cancellation of download checksums (#3778 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [Core] Skip duplicate repo URLs during update (#3786 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [Core] Mark new deps of upgrades as auto-installed (#3702 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [GUI] Fix index -1 exception in Manage Instances (#3800 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [Multiple] Cache path setting fixes (#3804 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)
  • [GUI] Make grid ampersand workaround platform specific (#3807 by: HebaruSan; reviewed: techman83)

Notes

• CKAN releases are built in clean-room conditions and do not contain viruses. If your virus scanner reports a problem, it's a false positive. Please report it to the company that produces your virus scanner, not us, since it's their software that's not working properly.
  • This release of the CKAN has not been tested on Mono releases prior to 5.20.0. We highly recommend that Mac and Linux users upgrade to the latest stable release of Mono from mono-project.com. You will need the equivalent of the mono-complete package for your OS.

Release image under public domain (created by NASA), courtesy of Wikipedia

Obviously the major change in this release is:

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

After you install the latest CKAN version, you'll be able to add instances of KSP2 to CKAN and use it to install mods. It will mostly work the same as it did for KSP1. A few notes and caveats:

• The KSP2 modding scene is brand new and still quite volatile (much like the game itself), with major incompatible changes occurring without warning. You probably will have problems! Please be patient with mod authors and CKAN maintainers and understand what you're getting into.
  • Since KSP2 has no buildID.txt file, you instead pick the KSP2_x64.exe file in the file open dialog (and CKAN gets the game version from that file). If/when the game is updated to support non-Windows platforms, a new CKAN client release will be needed because that won't be the filename on other platforms (and hopefully Nate will heed my pleas to add an equivalent of the buildID.txt file so we can still get the version info!).
  • SpaceDock was updated yesterday to have proper support for CKAN across multiple games, so if you want your KSP2 mod on CKAN, just check the checkbox:
    BhXde6B.png
    (This checkbox was available previously some of the time, but this was a bug and not quite fully working. Nonetheless, any mods whose authors checked the box previously should be included in CKAN already, please let us know if any are missing.)
  • If you don't use SpaceDock, you can submit an issue here to request that your mod be added:
    https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/KSP2-NetKAN/issues
  • Note that after you request addition, the CKAN team needs to review the metadata to make sure it works (things like tags and dependencies/conflicts can only be managed manually). See this wiki for details:
    https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Adding-a-mod-to-the-CKAN
  • We're supporting the BepInEx/plugins install path, since that's what all current mods use. If/when official mod support is released, a new CKAN client release will be needed to account for the standard mod install path, whatever it may be.
  • If a mod includes an swinfo.json file for SpaceWarp, CKAN's back-end bot can parse it for game version compatibility and a few other fields. This works very similarly to version files, so the way to turn this on in your netkan is:
    $vref: '#/ckan/space-warp'

Since new users might be reading this, there are now three places to report problems:

1. https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues - for bugs in the CKAN code or feature suggestions
  2. https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues - for problems with KSP1 metadata
  3. https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/KSP2-NetKAN/issues - for problems with KSP2 metadata

If you're not sure which one to use, just pick one, since it's easy to transfer issues elsewhere.

Edited by HebaruSan

I am playing KSP2 on an M1 MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.3.1 through CrossOver 22.1.1 in a Windows 10 64-bit bottle.  I have manually installed some mods (SpaceWarp, MicroEngineers, LazyOrbit, KontrolSystems2) and was hoping to use CKAN as I have with KSP1.

I downloaded the Windows version of Kepler, but when I ran it it threw an error.  Here is the message:

```

Unhandled exception:

System.FormatException: One of the identified items was in an invalid format.

at CKAN.Versioning.GameVersion.Parse (System.String input) [0x0001a] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.Games.KerbalSpaceProgram2.DetectVersion (System.IO.DirectoryInfo where) [0x0002e] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.GameInstance.DetectVersion (System.String directory) [0x0000c] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.GameInstance.Version () [0x00016] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.GameInstance.get_Valid () [0x00018] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.GameInstance..ctor (CKAN.Games.IGame game, System.String gameDir, System.String name, CKAN.IUser user, System.Boolean scan) [0x00067] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.GameInstanceManager.FindAndRegisterDefaultInstance () [0x0004a] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.GameInstanceManager._GetPreferredInstance () [0x000c7] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.GameInstanceManager.GetPreferredInstance () [0x00000] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.GUI.Main..ctor (System.String[] cmdlineArgs, CKAN.GameInstanceManager mgr, System.Boolean showConsole) [0x00157] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) CKAN.GUI.Main..ctor(string[],CKAN.GameInstanceManager,bool)

at CKAN.GUI.GUI.Main_ (System.String[] args, CKAN.GameInstanceManager manager, System.Boolean showConsole) [0x0003b] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Gui (CKAN.GameInstanceManager manager, CKAN.CmdLine.GuiOptions options, System.String[] args) [0x00030] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.RunSimpleAction (CKAN.CmdLine.Options cmdline, CKAN.CmdLine.CommonOptions options, System.String[] args, CKAN.IUser user, CKAN.GameInstanceManager manager) [0x002cb] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Execute (CKAN.GameInstanceManager manager, CKAN.CmdLine.CommonOptions opts, System.String[] args) [0x00296] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x000e9] in <e35182a57ef448cb98a7a3c3b7ae4093>:0

```

It looks like it couldn't find the KSP2_x64.exe binary.  Is there any way I can feed it the file location via a command-line option or something?

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, mathuin said:

It looks like it couldn't find the KSP2_x64.exe binary.  Is there any way I can feed it the file location via a command-line option or something?

Nope, the EXE is the only source we have for the game version. Hopefully the game's devs will add a buildID.txt-style file as noted!

You could try running CKAN inside the emulator as well (I'm assuming you tried it via Mono?). Maybe that would provide enough of the Windows runtime to successfully parse the EXE. I have not tested that, though, and if it doesn't work, there's not anything we can do about it.

13 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Nope, the EXE is the only source we have for the game version. Hopefully the game's devs will add a buildID.txt-style file as noted!

You could try running CKAN inside the emulator as well (I'm assuming you tried it via Mono?). Maybe that would provide enough of the Windows runtime to successfully parse the EXE. I have not tested that, though, and if it doesn't work, there's not anything we can do about it.

I get that the EXE file is the source of truth -- I was just wondering how CKAN finds it and whether there's a way to manually provide a value to CKAN.

In my run above, I did run CKAN inside the emulator -- I didn't know how to try it via Mono.

I copied the CKAN.exe file into my KSP2 installation directory, and ran it inside the emulator with the `--debug` flag.  Here are the relevant messages:

1573 [1] INFO CKAN.GameInstanceManager (null) - Loading KSP instances
1736 [1] INFO CKAN.CmdLine.CommonOptions (null) - Debug logging enabled
1954 [1] INFO CKAN.GUI.Main (null) - Starting the GUI
3934 [1] DEBUG CKAN.GameInstance (null) - Checking if KSP is in my current dir:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2
3937 [1] DEBUG CKAN.GameInstance (null) - Checking if KSP is in my exe dir: c:\P
rogram Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2
3938 [1] DEBUG CKAN.GameInstance (null) - Checking if KSP2 is in my current dir:
 c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2
3948 [1] INFO CKAN.GameInstance (null) - KSP2 found at c:\Program Files (x86)\St
eam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2
3960 [1] INFO CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass (null) - CKAN exiting.
3975 [1] ERROR CKAN.GUI.ErrorDialog (null) - Unhandled exception:
System.FormatException: One of the identified items was in an invalid format.

So it found the binary okay, at least.  Not sure what went wrong after that.

I also tried to use CLI arguments to add the game instance and it ran for about ten seconds, but never added the instance.  Alas, --debug didn't seem to work with the instance add command. :-(

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

On 4/16/2023 at 10:18 AM, tilliepops said:

does CKAN work for the steam deck?

To follow up on what @HebaruSan said, yes it works, I installed it following the instructions above just yesterday.

The primary functionality works great, but some little things, like hyperlinks don’t seem to work, and windows folder paths are hardcoded for some reason. 
big thanks to whoever wrote the instructions 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am trying to transfer my mods from my laptop to my pc by exporting my mod list as a .ckan file. However it would not transfer to my other computer. Upon further investigation, it turns out that the ckan on my laptop (the computer with the mods I am trying to transfer) has 1841 compatible mods listed. The ckan on my pc (the computer that I am trying to transfer my mods to) has only 1596 compatible mods listed. This is why the mod list won’t fully download.

I don’t understand why some mods are missing from the ckan on my pc. Some of these mods include FreeIva, Kcalbeloh System, and Planetside Exploration Technologies, which I was able to install through ckan on my laptop. The version of ckan on both devices is v1.32.0 and I am on KSP 1.12.5.3190, also on both devices. Under compatible game versions in both instances of ckan, I have versions 1.5 through 1.12 checked.

So far, I have tried reinstalling ckan on my pc, and checking all of the incompatible mods on the ckan on my pc as well. The above mods are not listed at all, not even as incompatible.

If anyone has any insight into why this is happening or how I can get all of my mods from my laptop to my pc, it would be greatly appreciated.

After the latest update to tweakscale I got a showstopper error and crash.  I downgraded the tweakscale companion 'uber packet' since it just updated (I also tried uninstalling it) but I am still getting the fatal error. help?

2 hours ago, Hipser said:

After the latest update to tweakscale I got a showstopper error and crash.  I downgraded the tweakscale companion 'uber packet' since it just updated (I also tried uninstalling it) but I am still getting the fatal error. help?

Try the threads for those mods:

CKAN can help if there's some indication that they were installed wrong.