[1.8 - 1.12] KSPCommunityFixes - Bugfixes and QoL tweaks

Gotmachine

7 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

If you want anyone to have a hope of investigating this, you'd need to make it as easy as possible for them to reproduce the issue - too much info is always better than not enough.

Alright... I built a space station with a big convertotron (patched with many far and near future and also cryo fuel recipes by nerteas mods. Also there was a nova facility and a vulcan smelter from nerteas mods (Far future in that case)... and some fuel tanks to store fuel for Ion engines (for orbit control), oretanks, fission pellets (FFT-mod, by nertea), some graviolium tanks (Blueshift), a antimatter container. Also there were uranium storages (from Near future by nertea) for enriched and depleted uranium, deuterium and He3-storages for a big fusion reactor from FFT.... I can provide the craftfiles and a complete modlist. 

23 hours ago, Rakete said:

I think I found a new ksp-bug/limitation

Resource conversions have indeed a bunch of limitations, some of them could be qualified as bugs. But the short answer is that the foundation for that subsystem just isn't adequate to make complex resource chains work reliably. Moreover, there are tons of mods relying, extending or even trying to fix some of the shortcomings of that subsystem, so altering it is a nightmare from a mod compatibility PoV.

Not to say nothing can be done, but personaly I'm not interrested in working on this.

On 7/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, Gotmachine said:

Resource conversions have indeed a bunch of limitations, some of them could be qualified as bugs. But the short answer is that the foundation for that subsystem just isn't adequate to make complex resource chains work reliably. Moreover, there are tons of mods relying, extending or even trying to fix some of the shortcomings of that subsystem, so altering it is a nightmare from a mod compatibility PoV.

Not to say nothing can be done, but personaly I'm not interrested in working on this.

Alright... so I will blow up those stations and build smaller ones, dedicated to certain ressource production sub-chains. Goodbye to my mega-complex "Cochrane Station". TAC Selfdestruct will do the job... Preparing an Evac mission ... that's sad.... really sad.

Edited by Rakete

Any idea if it's possible to disable the stock alarm clock feature? It's inferior to KAC and its buttons often get in the way when I'm trying to make nodes.

Also, would it be possible to disable this maneuver thing which I believe was introduced with the maneuver tool.
 SqjnhwH.png

They always pop up over the Pitch/Yaw/Roll indicators, which I never want covered up

9mjKldt.png

@NathanKell Hey, are you currently working on new bugfixes by any chance? I have two bugs that are really annoying, but I think they are not hard to fix, maybe. 

The first one is really simple to reproduce: attach a fuel tank, lock it and copy it. The copy will be unlocked again. It's an old one, I think I even reported it a while back, but it has gotten lost. 
The second one might be a byproduct of the first: install a fuel tank without symmetry and lock it, then grab it and enable symmetry, then install it again. The symmetry counterparts will all be unlocked, only the one you placed will remain locked. 

Edited by dok_377

1 hour ago, dok_377 said:

The symmetry counterparts will all be unlocked, only the one you placed will remain locked. 

That one is caused by the symmetry parts technically being new parts, I think. I've seen a similar issue in Ship Sections: place a part without symmetry, give it a section name, move it elsewhere with symmetry. The counterparts will not inherit the original's section name, but instead get assigned to a default one. Grab the original again and put it back down, counterparts now properly inherit the original's section name.

1 hour ago, Fraktal said:

Grab the original again and put it back down, counterparts now properly inherit the original's section name.

It doesn't work with locked tanks, unfortunately. They're still unlocked after that, I tried.

Edited by dok_377

@Gotmachine @NathanKell

I found a bug in the dragcube generation patch. It makes fairings create excessive drag and it reverses the vector of the body lift. I'm pretty sure it affects all of the sizes of fairings.  Disabling the patch fixes the issue.

Tested on a clean install of KSP 1.12.4. If you need logs, I will provide them. 

Spoiler

LHfQUIJ.jpg
iLpm3zR.jpg
bPCRuou.jpg
eMg8yUP.jpg

Edited by dok_377

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 2:27 PM, Overlocker96 said:

Because the FPS seems uncapped on those facilities, I don't know if anyone has the same issue.

Yeah, it goes to max FPS in 2D. Not efficient. I use Radeon Chill to reduce FPS when I'm not moving the mouse. Helps a little. Also cap FPS to screen max FPS

1 hour ago, Krazy1 said:

Yeah, it goes to max FPS in 2D. Not efficient. I use Radeon Chill to reduce FPS when I'm not moving the mouse. Helps a little. Also cap FPS to screen max FPS

Yeah, I tried capping FPS with NVidia Control Panel, using external programs and KSP VSync and FPS cap in different combinations, it always shows uncapped FPS on the Performance Tab in the Dev Console. It uses more resources than flying 150 parts modded ships :/

Edited by Overlocker96

On 8/3/2023 at 5:27 PM, Overlocker96 said:

There's some way to limit FPS or unload Space Center assets when on 2D Interiors, like Astronaut Complex, Mission Control,... ? Because the FPS seems uncapped on those facilities, I don't know if anyone has the same issue.

This does seem like something that could be fixed in kspcf

On 7/18/2023 at 10:02 AM, OldMold said:

Is it fair to say that with FAR installed, the current implementation of drag cube generation still gives you the benefits in VAB, but without the drag issues in flight?

On 7/19/2023 at 5:07 AM, dok_377 said:

But does FAR even use dragcubes? It's supposed to be voxel aerodynamics model AFAIK, so it wouldn't have issues in flight with dragcubes. 

The issue is that other systems in KSP (buoyancy, thermo) use drag cubes. So FAR being installed or not is irrelevant here. And as you can see in relevant issue on github leading to drag cube generation patching being disabled, one of the specific symptoms was a vessel (and its orbit) not appearing  in map view, nothing to do with aerodynamics. 

Edited by NathanKell

• 3 weeks later...

Tantares parts cfg has a line to hide parts (category     = None),   but the valid value should be none (n instead of N). If you keep the invalid value and have ksp community fixes installed, deprecated parts can appear when you click on the search bar.

Edit: Log:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AbMk8hD8jh2PLdSfEBo5I2TBCTrFqlIY?usp=sharing

Edited by ssd21345

8 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

Tantares parts cfg has a line to hide parts (category     = None),   but the valid value should be none (n instead of N). If you keep the invalid value and have ksp community fixes installed, deprecated parts can appear when you click on the search bar.

Edit: Log:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AbMk8hD8jh2PLdSfEBo5I2TBCTrFqlIY?usp=sharing

Wow nice catch.  I've confirmed that this issue is caused by the PersistentIConfigNode patch, but I haven't figured out exactly why it's any different than the stock behavior.  I suspect it’s because the `none` category is -1 instead of 0, but both the stock code and KSPCF seem to be doing case-sensitive parsing.

Edited by JonnyOThan

2 hours ago, Keko said:

how the hell do i disable the collapsed sections in the parts menu? its so extremely inconvenient that it makes me delete this mod every single time after one session of playing with it

// Part Action Window groups for a selection of stock modules
  PAWStockGroups = true

Change that to false in the settings.cfg (or even better, make a MM patch for it; there's a template in KSPCommunityFixes/Extras/KSPCF_UserSettings.cfg)
Edited by JonnyOThan

Hello,

I'm having a problem with the KSPCommunityFixes mod on my Mac:

**Problem:**
- When I set the game's texture quality to 50% or 25% (by changing TEXTURE_QUALITY to 1 or 2 in KSP's settings.cfg), the game freezes during loading.
- If I have other mods installed, it stops at: "Loading texture asset (buffer=xxMB)".
loading-texture-asset-bufferxxmb.jpg

- But if only KSPCommunityFixes and Harmony are installed, it just says "Loading texture asset..." and then freezes.
loading-texture-assets.jpg

**What I Tried:**
- I changed all settings to "false" in Settings.cfg in GameData/KSPCommunityFixes, but it didn't help.
- I also turned off textureCacheEnabled in /KSPCommunityFixes/PluginDataPNGTextureCache.cfg, but the problem is still there.

**Results:**
- The game works fine at 100% texture quality (TEXTURE_QUALITY=0), but it makes my old Mac really slow.
- At 12% texture quality (TEXTURE_QUALITY=3), the graphics look bad.

**My System & Game Info:**
- Game Version: 1.12.5
- KSPCommunityFixes: 1.3.0
- ModuleManager: 4.2.3
- HarmonyKSP: 2.2.1.0

Can you help me fix this? If you need logs, just tell me which ones and where to find them.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

V1.31.0 is out :

• New KSP bugfix : DockingPortConserveMomentum [KSP 1.12.3 - 1.12.5], make docking ports conserve momentum by averaging the acquire forces between the two ports. Thanks to @Jules-Bertholet for the contribution.
  • DragCubeGeneration : fixed issue #154, fix broken map view (and various other issues) when a drag cube is generated on a root part having multiple drag cubes.
  • DragCubeGeneration : fixed issue #162, fix incorrect drag cubes generated for stock procedural fairings (and potentially mods doing procedural mesh generation).
  • DragCubeGeneration : patch enabled by default, hopefully all bugs fixed :)
  • PersistentIConfigNode : adress issue #159, add some logging when an enum parsing error happens instead of swallowing it silently.