The Analysis of Sea Levels.

Btw, the tobacco plantation requires water, fertilizer, fuel, other sources of CO2, and its usage is a pure air carbonization itself.

If the things are that bad, why tobacco is still farmed?

Why no clean and loud voices from the ecoactivists?

Didn't the passive smoking steal a part of Greta's childhood?

All these resources could be used for food growing, it's a food crysis in the world, don't they know?

40 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

I'm not trolling, it's an obvious question: why do they not first cut the obviously harmfull spending of resources.

Sorry, I respect your intellect and maturity too much to believe that you think that question doesn't have obvious answers.

If you think it's a serious question, why don't you go ahead and tell me what YOU think?

11 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That’s the general answer to “Why does society (industry) keep doing these harmful things?

On an individual level, another common answer is “It feels good”

...and it's not universally harmful, nor fast acting.  Case in point - my grandfather who started smoking at 9 did not die until he was in his 80s. 

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

...and it's not universally harmful, nor fast acting.  Case in point - my grandfather who started smoking at 9 did not die until he was in his 80s. 

That's an uncontrolled experiment. Maybe your grandfather would have lived to be 105 otherwise.

7 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

That's an uncontrolled experiment. Maybe your grandfather would have lived to be 105 otherwise.

Shrug - there's quality of life as well.  He enjoyed smoking. 

Look - I'm not recommending smoking 

... but it should be acknowledged that the anti smoking crowd has overstated their case. 

I've also told my kids that of the two, I'd rather them smoke than vape.  Vaping destroys lungs much faster 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see this as a long term abandonment of less polluting goals - rather a short term recognition that with one major supplier taking themselves out of the world market countries need to be able to take care of their domestic markets / people. 

Covid and *geopolitics* have shown the fragility of many supply chains for key commodities and after some realignment, resilience should be back in the system. 

If the perpetrator decides to rejoin the rational world... There could be surplus again and renewed investment in less polluting power. 

On 8/19/2023 at 4:19 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Same with my grandfather, still the danger of smoking is at least two order of magnitude more sure than climate change, not that climate change is not real but the effects are way less known than smoking where we has lots of data. Obviously its blown up an high order of magnitude.  Yes working years in an poorly ventilated bar then most smoked is very unhealthy, outside and some is smoking, why are you in a city center, even with the insane improvements in car engines.
Sorry did not see that this was on the off list, just my rant about tobacco. 

Edited by magnemoe

7 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I don't see this as a long term abandonment of less polluting goals - rather a short term

https://www.ft.com/content/33bdc745-0702-48b5-89be-857164859aa2

From the wrong supplier to the right supplier for twice price.

Strange, why not build moar windmills and use the native German coal to produce plastic for them.

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

https://www.ft.com/content/33bdc745-0702-48b5-89be-857164859aa2

From the wrong supplier to the right supplier for twice price.

Strange, why not build moar windmills and use the native German coal to produce plastic for them.

Wasn't the wrong supplier until the hetmon decided to be.  Also... There are costs and costs.  Price isn't the only metric. 

The German foolishness was listening to good intentioned Greens and shutting down nuclear. 

In fact, most of us are guilty of that. 

Costs and costs is why we are having this discussion in the first place. We spent too many years focusing only on price. 

Now the cost of rampant pollution is being reaped in dollars and (hopefully) sense... So the bean counter is finally paying attention.  As is the customer. 

Still, before we can dance in the green fields we need to get through the winter. 

<shrugs>

life 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

In fact, most of us are guilty of that. 

In fact, none of us is even aware of the set of existing parties on the party.

ISS is still international, for reasons you don't see, and the spacenauts fly there in the ships of each other. Even when the UV telescope is down. Even after the antisat debris incident. Even after all sanctions. Are you sure that you see a whole picture?
The known territory is still a transit way for Russian hydrocarbons, and doesn't declare a war state, and so on.

So, no need to feel guilty.

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

no need to feel guilty

My comment was about the global failure to develop effective nuclear power at anything approaching scale since the scares of 3Mile Island and Chernobyl. 

.  failure to avoid the pitfalls of kleptocracy is a different problem, and keeping some kind of relationship open is just smart 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

My comment was about the global failure to develop effective nuclear power at anything approaching scale since the scares of 3Mile Island and Chernobyl. 

Most recently it was the Fukushima mess, actually. The German announcement that they were ending all nuclear power production came in the wake of Fukushima.