Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

5 hours ago, miklkit said:

Moving the goalposts.   First it is scarcity and then it is inflation.  Actually 2019 seems to be a high point in production as it went down 1% in 2020, 2% in 2021, and 3% overall in 2022.  Still, 3% = 718%?  Inflation is at a 40 year high while corporate profits are at a 50 year high. 

Didn't move the goal posts.  There are multiple goalposts.   It isn't simple.  There was an avian flu, millions of hens euthanized. There were fires at facilities.  There was scarcity for a time.  But the main reason the price increased was increased transportation cost.   Sales ≠ Profits.  If both costs and sales go up, it doesn't mean profits go up.

But really, your rage on this is off-putting.  Converse with yourself. I'm out

Igor Sikorsky built a rubber band-powered coaxial helicopter when he was twelve, and he kept at it until the Kiev aeronautical exhibition of 1909, where this thing literally failed to take off.

pic_6.jpg

Solar furnaces are interesting.  But issues of keeping the mirrors clean, buffering energy peaks to fill energy gaps (night time) and not frying rare birds midflight need to be addressed more fully.  There has been progress in some of these.  The bird issue remains recalcitrant

9 hours ago, darthgently said:

Solar furnaces are interesting.  But issues of keeping the mirrors clean, buffering energy peaks to fill energy gaps (night time) and not frying rare birds midflight need to be addressed more fully.  There has been progress in some of these.  The bird issue remains recalcitrant

Agree, I say they looks much more promising in space, you can build huge lightweight mirrors, simply have the metal you melt float at focus and don't have to worry about birds.
At least in the medium term, long term I don't trust pigeons. 
And don't ignore robots. 
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff2100/fc02028.htm

The 1918 Soviet orthographic reform collapsed "миръ" (peace) and "мiръ" (world, society) into the homonym "мир". This has become the subject of wordplay. Sometimes it's of the benevolent kind, such as the Soviet slogan "миру мир" (мир to мир, using dative), or indeed the bame of the space station. Sometimes it gets darker, as in the Radio Yerevan joke "There will be such a struggle for мир that no stone will be left unturned", or the seemingly more recent and rather... topical quip/patch slogan "We need мир. Preferably all of it."

4 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

There is only decision maker in KSP, the player.

But the price is all the kerbals are then mere serfs/sockpuppets.   Multiplayer will add a bit more emergent solutions from other players I suppose.  But if all but the dictator/player is a sockpuppet I'm not sure any realistic bar for success can be met

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

I've never seen the Kerbal economy as centrally planned.  I'm not sure how to measure it's success either.  A true conundrum 

Most strategy games has an central planned economy run by you. Pharaoh was an exception as you just allowed shops to open but if it was not an customer demand it would close up. 
This might force you to design the city around it more so then it got larger. 

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Most strategy games has an central planned economy run by you. Pharaoh was an exception as you just allowed shops to open but if it was not an customer demand it would close up. 
This might force you to design the city around it more so then it got larger. 

Ok, but game economies aren't real economies.   Maybe computer games are behind so many people wanting to play Sim Earth IRL with everyone else relegated to sockpuppetdom.  Who knows?

Edited by darthgently

13 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

*Ahem*

May i remind you that parts are made by companies

This is easily parried by many planned economies retaining corporate structures for ease of management.