Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

• 2 months later...

Howdy, @Angelo Kerman. It's been a while since I used Pathfinder/Buffalo/MOLE to colonize the Kerbin system and I've had a hankerin' to do it again lately, so I guess I'm back to asking questions when they arise. Had to sunset a lot of my old craft with the release of Buffalo 2; the one that stung there was the Echo Flyer, but I'm slowly working up a replacement.

Anyway, this happened to me the other day while I was trying to figure out all the new bits. Trying to grok what might've happened.
fyEZXyV.png

Any ideas? Any additional data you need from me?

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

Trying to grok what might've happened.

Try to move the base away from the runway. It's actual status might be "Standby to launch" and not "landed", don't trust any external mods :D

UPD: the mission timer is not running so it's definitely not landed, it's standing by to launch.

Edited by Manul

Can I get y'all's help with something? I'm trying to build the TBD 7f base-seeding rover, using the TBD 7e (my old equivalent Buffalo 1 craft) as a guideline. What's the replacement for the old very-large Wagon storage part? The 7e had two of them, one that held Equipment, the other a huge KIS inventory which I used for Pathfinder parts - a screwdriver, a Saddle, a Pondy, a Casa, three Haciendas, four Chuckwagons,  a small Buckboard, a Rangeland, 6 SAFER reactors and 17 Gaslights. You know, everything to get a huge base started (just not all at once). Here's the 7e's part list via KML.

Su9RBnW.png

I can't get the B2 Logistics Module to give me more than 100L of KIS inventory, even if I configure it for nothing but that. I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong part or if I might have a mod conflict somewhere (which has been known to happen before).

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2024 at 12:51 AM, Alpha_star said:

Hmm, no more discussions in a while. Is the mod still under development or is it considered to be finished? (Just asking)

I haven't been back this way in awhile. Yes, Buffalo 2 is feature complete at this point and is just in maintenance mode. I may have some bug fixes in a few days, mostly configuration errors.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2023 at 8:04 PM, Ooglak Kerman said:

Interesting behavior of the B2 shortSideHatch.  It has to be an end piece in order to exit into the part - not inline between 2 crewed modules.  If it's between crewed parts, you get "hatch obstructed".  Kind of a bummer, but not terrible.  The ladders lack colliders though.

It's a KSP hatch obstruction bug,  you need to have 2m of space in front of the airlock to EVA and the shortSideHatch is obviously shorter than that. I tried to override the default hatch obstruction check distance and it seems to work

B2rfQQJ.png

his is the part with default obstruction check distance

WXdCC7J.png

And this is the actual size of an airlock transform

SqyP620.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Angelo Kerman. Having some issues with the Omni on the Logistics Module (I've started over yet again, and once again I've gotten to the part of the game where the changes to Pathfinder/Buffalo are starting to impede further progress). I'm trying to set it up for KIS Storage, but the game's not letting me actually put things anywhere other than seat inventory:

JR1Qj0o.png

I had tried assembling a base using just the stock building system, but unfortunately there are some things that require the flexibility of KIS to get to working correctly (namely the stock game thinks Mineshafts are too big for a single Kerbal to carry on their own, and being able to move SAFER reactors has proven to be more annoying than usual...

I tried looking through the configuration files for KIS references. Didn't see any but I'm not sure I was looking in the right place either.

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

Hey @Angelo Kerman. Having some issues with the Omni on the Logistics Module (I've started over yet again, and once again I've gotten to the part of the game where the changes to Pathfinder/Buffalo are starting to impede further progress). I'm trying to set it up for KIS Storage, but the game's not letting me actually put things anywhere other than seat inventory:

JR1Qj0o.png

I had tried assembling a base using just the stock building system, but unfortunately there are some things that require the flexibility of KIS to get to working correctly (namely the stock game thinks Mineshafts are too big for a single Kerbal to carry on their own, and being able to move SAFER reactors has proven to be more annoying than usual...

I tried looking through the configuration files for KIS references. Didn't see any but I'm not sure I was looking in the right place either.

I don't recall adding KIS modules to Buffalo 2, only stock inventory. It should be straightforward for you to do though, just look at the storage capacity of the stock inventory module and plug that into the KIS inventory module.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I think a part is missing or just can't be loaded in through Ckan. The Inline ballast for the Guppy isn't present. I went into the resource intake thing to try and show you. Note I have both the old Buffalo mod and this one. Please advise or I guess help out. I'm new to installing mods with Ckan. I cant show a picture but what one can see are the engines and old ballast from the first mod. 

6 minutes ago, Foxalpha09 said:

Ok, so I think a part is missing or just can't be loaded in through Ckan. The Inline ballast for the Guppy isn't present. I went into the resource intake thing to try and show you. Note I have both the old Buffalo mod and this one. Please advise or I guess help out. I'm new to installing mods with Ckan. I cant show a picture but what one can see are the engines and old ballast from the first mod. 

Do you have SunkWorks installed?

1 hour ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Do you have SunkWorks installed?

No, but I did figure out the thing that allows to use of the tanks as ballast. I feel like now it is more of a thing of resource management and finding a balance as the two props (the radial ones) drain energy at a rapid rate (even when I turn the tanks into batteries, but to be fair that's on full throttle and be intended) and the balance I ended up with for my sub was back-heavy (and having positive buoyancy).  I know this may sound weird, and I mean no offense, but may I suggest an addition that tells what one's buoyancy is in an given ocean (depending on if its Kerbin, Eve or Lathe)? Or it it an issue that i don't have the Skunk Works mod? Like I said, I installed it with Ckan. But to be fair, I tried to create a large submersible with many research and passenger sections. But at the end of the day I feel my problem might have to do with weight and buoyancy, which the latter is harder to tell with the only way to figure it out with trial and error. Not to knock your mod. Your mod is perfect to make subs, and with the BD armory mod it can be very fun. Thank you for your time.

1 hour ago, Foxalpha09 said:

No, but I did figure out the thing that allows to use of the tanks as ballast. I feel like now it is more of a thing of resource management and finding a balance as the two props (the radial ones) drain energy at a rapid rate (even when I turn the tanks into batteries, but to be fair that's on full throttle and be intended) and the balance I ended up with for my sub was back-heavy (and having positive buoyancy).  I know this may sound weird, and I mean no offense, but may I suggest an addition that tells what one's buoyancy is in an given ocean (depending on if its Kerbin, Eve or Lathe)? Or it it an issue that i don't have the Skunk Works mod? Like I said, I installed it with Ckan. But to be fair, I tried to create a large submersible with many research and passenger sections. But at the end of the day I feel my problem might have to do with weight and buoyancy, which the latter is harder to tell with the only way to figure it out with trial and error. Not to knock your mod. Your mod is perfect to make subs, and with the BD armory mod it can be very fun. Thank you for your time.

Buffalo 2's submarine parts are intended to work with SunkWorks, which handles buoyancy control. The ballast wedges and tanks will automatically be controlled by the dive computer that's built into the Guppy command module. If you don't have that, you'll need this:

Mb3d4uI.png

If you don't use the Buffalo 2's ballast tanks and wedges, then you'll need to use this:

SyPdTYT.png

And don't forget these for your kerbals:

c02c0fT.png

JbWOEzm.jpg

K56aTbe.png

To be honest I don't know how the Buffalo 2 will respond without the dive control computer, so I'm not surprised that you're having trouble trimming the boat and getting it to dive. At any rate, please give SunkWorks a try with your boat and see if the dive computer can help you out. :)

7 hours ago, Natso said:

Is there a way to charge while underwater? , my submarine ran out of power so quickly

Using a bioreactor and aquarium module you can convert fish to energy.

10 hours ago, Natso said:

Is there a way to charge while underwater? , my submarine ran out of power so quickly

WildBlueTools provides a tiny nuclear reactor, the S.A.F.E.R. Put that on your ship.

13 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Buffalo 2's submarine parts are intended to work with SunkWorks, which handles buoyancy control. The ballast wedges and tanks will automatically be controlled by the dive computer that's built into the Guppy command module. If you don't have that, you'll need this:

Mb3d4uI.png

If you don't use the Buffalo 2's ballast tanks and wedges, then you'll need to use this:

SyPdTYT.png

c02c0fT.png

JbWOEzm.jpg

K56aTbe.png

To be honest I don't know how the Buffalo 2 will respond without the dive control computer, so I'm not surprised that you're having trouble trimming the boat and getting it to dive. At any rate, please give SunkWorks a try with your boat and see if the dive computer can help you out. :)

Thx, this will help greatly. You are the best.

4 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Using a bioreactor and aquarium module you can convert fish to energy.

Subnautica:

14 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Mb3d4uI.png

SyPdTYT.png

c02c0fT.png

JbWOEzm.jpg

K56aTbe.png

Actually, speaking of SunkWorks (and CKAN), will SW be coming to CKAN?

On 6/17/2024 at 11:22 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

WildBlueTools provides a tiny nuclear reactor, the S.A.F.E.R. Put that on your ship.

Thank you for sharing about nuclear reactors, now I have finished making "Poseidon" torpedoes equipped with nuclear warheads and nuclear reactors..

screenshot609eb32d13de7a930.jpeg

screenshot5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

why don't the cargo bays have a wide flatbed variant? In the OG, there were wide flatbeds, so why not do something similar for the existing cargo beds here?

Edited by Av8tor8a