[1.12] FreeIva

JonnyOThan

This is an installation nightmare. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it working right. I'd either not be able to move, or I'd move right through all the walls and not be able to open hatches. Even after removing the mod, some files that I can't find are still present, as indicated by module manager when loading the game.  This is latest game version. If anyone has ANY help I'll take it. This seemed like such a cool idea... And it was the bane of my existance.

15 hours ago, Jebby Boi said:

Even after removing the mod, some files that I can't find are still present, as indicated by module manager when loading the game.

Do you use any mod manager or all manual install? Im the latter and I sometimes will accidentally drop a mod into another mods folder causing me to have to go through every folder in gamedata and find it. So you may have a duplicate somewhere. If not then I would start looking at other camera/iva mods as suspects.

Edited by Motokid600

16 hours ago, Jebby Boi said:

This is an installation nightmare. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it working right. I'd either not be able to move, or I'd move right through all the walls and not be able to open hatches. Even after removing the mod, some files that I can't find are still present, as indicated by module manager when loading the game.  This is latest game version. If anyone has ANY help I'll take it. This seemed like such a cool idea... And it was the bane of my existance.

I’d suggest starting from a clean install and using CKAN.  Otherwise, I’d need to see your KSP.log file to be able to help.

7 hours ago, Alexflier said:

Amazing!! Is it compatible with KerbalVR?

Not yet, but this is very close to the top of my todo list.  However some recent real-life events have reduced the amount of time I can spend working on this stuff.

So, I installed FreeIVA, and it worked fine with the centrifuges, but then one day the centrifuges stopped working. The IVA didn't spin around and trying to get into the centrifuge just showed "hatch is locked". I can send Gamedata if needed. Also I can't get into the centrifuge central part from any other part. And when I put the kerbal into the centrifuge it doesn't give the artificial gravity and the centrifuge is just spinning outside. I think it might be something to do with Reviva. Even when I completely reinstall all my mods and it still breaks itself. I found some log errors involving the centrifuge iva "exiting" certain parts, and also one involving the first person EVA (from ThroughTheEyes)

Edited by KerbalOnKerbin
more stuff

8 hours ago, KerbalOnKerbin said:

So, I installed FreeIVA, and it worked fine with the centrifuges, but then one day the centrifuges stopped working. The IVA didn't spin around and trying to get into the centrifuge just showed "hatch is locked". I can send Gamedata if needed. Also I can't get into the centrifuge central part from any other part. And when I put the kerbal into the centrifuge it doesn't give the artificial gravity and the centrifuge is just spinning outside. I think it might be something to do with Reviva. Even when I completely reinstall all my mods and it still breaks itself. I found some log errors involving the centrifuge iva "exiting" certain parts, and also one involving the first person EVA (from ThroughTheEyes)

Your ksp.log and the craft file would probably be useful, thanks!

Just now, KerbalOnKerbin said:

Actually I figured out that Kerbalism was the problem, as when I removed it everthing worked fine

I was *just* going to ask that - the next release will support Kerbalism (as well as the gravity ring part from Kerbalism itself).

I've put together a release candidate build of 0.2.4 - you can get it here: https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/releases/tag/0.2.4-prerelease0

Please test it and report any issues you find.  I'd appreciate if you include the ksp.log file with any reports.

Assuming no major issues are found, this will go live in a few days.

0.2.4 is now available! https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/releases/tag/0.2.4

Controls: https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/wiki/Controls
Support: https://discord.gg/vBDzZAq3AF

Dependencies

• ModuleManager
  • Reviva is recommended if you use certain structural parts from Planetside or StockalikeStationPartsExpansion that change their shape based on B9PartSwitch variants. Reviva will allow for altering the internal model as well.

Notable Changes

Bug Fixes

• Raised camera height when standing in gravity
  • Internals of distant parts are no longer visible when looking out windows
  • Can no longer interact with hatches and seats through walls
  • Fixed an issue that would occasionally block mouse clicks while unbuckled
  • Fixed some issues related to crew transfers
  • Tweaked console collider in mk1pod so you can squeeze under it

Known Issues

• Windows in distant parts do not render correctly

On 11/10/2022 at 8:39 AM, JonnyOThan said:

FreeIva allows you to get out of your seat in IVA mode and move around your ship - even between parts.  You can buckle up in another seat in a distant part to transfer crew, or use a hatch from the inside to go EVA.  All stock and DLC crewed parts, docking ports, and many adapters are supported.

Totally Amazing!!

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

OMG nice! May I ask why it took 7 long years in WIP? Was this mod so hard to make? I always thought it was not possible or would have been done already. 

There are a number of very hard technical challenges that had to be overcome.  Pizzaoverhead started it seven years ago and certainly hadn’t been working on it all this time. I’ve been working on KerbalVR and wanted to do FreeIVA integration, so I came on to help out.

One of the biggest obstacles was creating colliders for all the parts.  I came up with a way to use concave meshes which are easier to build in a modeling program. Previously this wasn’t believed to be possible.

Another challenge was that most internal models have opaque geometry over the places where hatches should go.  Previously this was solved by a depth mask shader but it still had artifacts when you were close to it.  We recently came up with a way to edit the meshes at load time to cut out holes so you could see through.

1 minute ago, JonnyOThan said:

There are a number of very hard technical challenges that had to be overcome.  Pizzaoverhead started it seven years ago and certainly hadn’t been working on it all this time. I’ve been working on KerbalVR and wanted to do FreeIVA integration, so I came on to help out.

One of the biggest obstacles was creating colliders for all the parts.  I came up with a way to use concave meshes which are easier to build in a modeling program. Previously this wasn’t believed to be possible.

Another challenge was that most internal models have opaque geometry over the places where hatches should go.  Previously this was solved by a depth mask shader but it still had artifacts when you were close to it.  We recently came up with a way to edit the meshes at load time to cut out holes so you could see through.

That's really interesting, thanks for the explanation.

Now for your next challenge.........

On 1/3/2023 at 1:51 AM, JonnyOThan said:

0.2.4 is now available! https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/releases/tag/0.2.4

Controls: https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/wiki/Controls
Support: https://discord.gg/vBDzZAq3AF

Dependencies

• ModuleManager
  • Reviva is recommended if you use certain structural parts from Planetside or StockalikeStationPartsExpansion that change their shape based on B9PartSwitch variants. Reviva will allow for altering the internal model as well.

Notable Changes

Bug Fixes

• Raised camera height when standing in gravity
  • Internals of distant parts are no longer visible when looking out windows
  • Can no longer interact with hatches and seats through walls
  • Fixed an issue that would occasionally block mouse clicks while unbuckled
  • Fixed some issues related to crew transfers
  • Tweaked console collider in mk1pod so you can squeeze under it

Known Issues

• Windows in distant parts do not render correctly

I'm a little confused, how do you access the tutorial and such? Thanks for adding it based on my suggestion btw.

8 minutes ago, Clayel said:

I'm a little confused, how do you access the tutorial and such? Thanks for adding it based on my suggestion btw.

When you enter IVA mode (press C) you should see a prompt to unbuckle (Y by default).  If you press that, a window should appear with all the context-sensitive controls.

Well, a few hours after posting my joyous review, I realized something was amiss...

With FreeIVA installed, some of the IVA's no longer act right.  As I mentioned before, I was using FreeIVA with Reviva, but I realized that might be throwing too much in the pot for troubleshooting.  So I made a fresh install and looked at FreeIVA with the "'Mk1 Cockpit' IVA Replacement by ASET" and "DE IVAExtension" seperately.  I used the Mk1 Cockpit on an aircraft and an unmanned probe on the launchpad with "Probe Control Room".   An easy example of the issues follows:

Mk1 Cockpit by ASET:

Aircraft -- Radio buttons/knobs do not work,  GPS knob on overhead no longer works

Probe Control Room -- No issues.

DE IVAExtension:

Aircraft -- Some Raster Prop Monitor buttons do not work

Probe Control Room -- Many Raster Prop Monitor buttons do not work

-----------

All of these issues went away by uninstalling FreeIVA.

KSP logs:

FreeIVA with Mk1 Cockpit by ASET

FreeIVA with DE IVAExtension

KSP without FreeIVA and with DE IVAExtension (this works and so does mk1 ASET)

I hope there's a fix!  Let me know if you need any more info.

Matt

3 hours ago, orionguy said:

Well, a few hours after posting my joyous review, I realized something was amiss...

With FreeIVA installed, some of the IVA's no longer act right.  As I mentioned before, I was using FreeIVA with Reviva, but I realized that might be throwing too much in the pot for troubleshooting.  So I made a fresh install and looked at FreeIVA with the "'Mk1 Cockpit' IVA Replacement by ASET" and "DE IVAExtension" seperately.  I used the Mk1 Cockpit on an aircraft and an unmanned probe on the launchpad with "Probe Control Room".   An easy example of the issues follows:

Mk1 Cockpit by ASET:

Aircraft -- Radio buttons/knobs do not work,  GPS knob on overhead no longer works

Probe Control Room -- No issues.

DE IVAExtension:

Aircraft -- Some Raster Prop Monitor buttons do not work

Probe Control Room -- Many Raster Prop Monitor buttons do not work

-----------

All of these issues went away by uninstalling FreeIVA.

KSP logs:

FreeIVA with Mk1 Cockpit by ASET

FreeIVA with DE IVAExtension

KSP without FreeIVA and with DE IVAExtension (this works and so does mk1 ASET)

I hope there's a fix!  Let me know if you need any more info.

Matt

Thanks for the report.  I'd guess that these props have their colliders on layer 16 instead of 20 (which most props should be).  Without FreeIVA, both layers are interactable with the mouse but when FreeIVA is installed, layer 16 is reserved for kerbal colliders and layer 20 is for props.  I can probably fix this by changing the collider layers at runtime, but it would need a patch for every broken prop.