Ultra Graphics Settings features

Vl3d

53 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

but it sure is incredible when you visit Duna, drive up a mountain, and get an stunning vista with beautiful Parallax textures and scattering.

Keyword here is driving, or better, walking.

Because if you're flying then all the immersion would immediately go away as you're constantly chased by a bubble of scatter due to the render distance.

57 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

That said, considering that KSP2's graphics are decent already, they will probably get upgraded, and that modders will probably make graphics mods that will look even better than a fully modded KSP1 (for a price), I don't really think it's worth discussing.

And that's pretty much my problem with the whole forum turning into a wrong pixel hunt.

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

We only get screenshots. So that's what we talk about.

Mostly about the background, probably most people didn't even notice that the wings on the red plane screenshot are actually huge wiglets.

44 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Mostly about the background, probably most people didn't even notice that the wings on the red plane screenshot are actually huge wiglets.

It actually took me awhile to notice that. That plane would have to be really twitchy on the roll axis.

As I understood from communication on the forum in recent years, the KSP2 graphics cannot be compared with anything. Graphics in KSP2 is not the main thing. And performance is not the main thing. And the presence of interesting places on the planets is not the main thing. And marketing is not the main thing. The main thing is to believe in a better future and hope that we are shown the old builds of the game. And you also have to rejoice at the opportunity to become a beta tester for your own money.

29 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

As I understood from communication on the forum in recent years, the KSP2 graphics cannot be compared with anything. Graphics in KSP2 is not the main thing. And performance is not the main thing. And the presence of interesting places on the planets is not the main thing. And marketing is not the main thing. The main thing is to believe in a better future and hope that we are shown the old builds of the game. And you also have to rejoice at the opportunity to become a beta tester for your own money.

Yeah, KSP players are very demanding...

I believe in the game and the devs. I'm sure all the graphics systems will come online until EA launch.

50 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

And performance is not the main thing. And the presence of interesting places on the planets is not the main thing.

No, I'm pretty sure those two are some the key points. 

Especially performance. Nate has said it before, they're going to allow for big ships. Really big ships. The kind of stuff that in KSP 1 made you measure in seconds per frame instead of frames per second. 

And interesting places on planets has been a focus of Intercept. They have literally been talking about "Exploration" in almost every feature video. They even dedicated an entire video to planet creation!

22 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Especially performance. Nate has said it before, they're going to allow for big ships. Really big ships. The kind of stuff that in KSP 1 made you measure in seconds per frame instead of frames per second. 

And interesting places on planets has been a focus of Intercept. They have literally been talking about "Exploration" in almost every feature video. They even dedicated an entire video to planet creation!

Well, we didn't see any big ships, performance, or anything interesting on the planets since beta. Today we were finally shown the parachute in KSP2, maybe because of it the fps was somewhere around 10. But I'm sure that by the time of the full release in 2080 everything will be fine!

Unrestrained opinion follows... skip if you're upset by forum posts.

Every time I see one of the screenshots released recently, it feels like a bit of an insult. 

First it was spring 2020, then delayed, then another, now we're delayed nearly 3 years to get an early access release for 50 bucks of a half-complete game where the planets would be inappropriately barren in a circa 2004 mmo. Compare the nonthingness of the planets surfaces to the scenery of world of warcraft (2004) or morrowind (2002). Go on, have look. The textures here are better, but the emptyness is insulting. Don't tell me about rover gameplay and rock collisions. There's nothing worth roving to in those scenes. Why bother? Looks like KSP1 with marginally better textures.

I just watched the eve probe tiktok... I hope that's potato-mode scenery on the surface for the integrated graphics customers. Zero hype generated by that. I'm more discouraged than anything else. 

When you expend a bunch of time and energy to get somewhere, you should be like: "WOW! This is freaking amazing!" Not: "Meh. This looks like the last repeating-texture undulating-mesh I just landed on, but with a slightly different color."

The clouds are  ok, and may be an art style choice. I'm hoping they hear this since the game won't be done for another probably 2 years. You'll hear about it on steam reviews too (from a number of people) if it releases looking like the recent screenshots.

The "graphics don't matter" crew won't care if you make them better, but the "graphics matter" crew will.

I've moved from the "definitely buying on day one" group to the "I'll watch some videos first" group, and if it looks like this on release, I'll sadly have to nope out until my first experience with KSP2 won't be a disappointment. 

10 minutes ago, TLTay said:

Every time I see one of the screenshots released recently, it feels like a bit of an insult. 

First it was spring 2020, then delayed, then another, now we're delayed nearly 3 years to get an early access release for 50 bucks of a half-complete game where the planets would be inappropriately barren in a circa 2004 mmo. Compare the nonthingness of the planets surfaces to the scenery of world of warcraft (2004) or morrowind (2002). Go on, have look. The textures here are better, but the emptyness is insulting. Don't tell me about rover gameplay and rock collisions. There's nothing worth roving to in those scenes. Why bother? Looks like KSP1 with marginally better textures.

I just watched the eve probe tiktok... I hope that's potato-mode scenery on the surface for the integrated graphics customers. Zero hype generated by that. I'm more discouraged than anything else. 

When you expend a bunch of time and energy to get somewhere, you should be like: "WOW! This is freaking amazing!" Not: "Meh. This looks like the last repeating-texture undulating-mesh I just landed on, but with a slightly different color."

The clouds are  ok, and may be an art style choice. I'm hoping they hear this since the game won't be done for another probably 2 years. You'll hear about it on steam reviews too (from a number of people) if it releases looking like the recent screenshots.

The "graphics don't matter" crew won't care if you make them better, but the "graphics matter" crew will.

I've moved from the "definitely buying on day one" group to the "I'll watch some videos first" group, and if it looks like this on release, I'll sadly have to nope out until my first experience with KSP2 won't be a disappointment. 

Expecting Morrowind level theme park details on a planetary basis, not just for 1 planet (which is already absurd) but for potentially a dozen planets or more is all kinds of hilarious.

In fact, graphics are not very important in games. There are incredibly addictive games with bad graphics, mind-blowing plots, and unusual mechanics. And there are games in which, apart from graphics, there is nothing else, in recent years these have mostly been released. When I posted a few years ago videos with RSS flights to Pluto, Mars or the Moon on huge stock rockets, I had two problems - terribly low FPS at the start and emptiness at the landing site. Well done, I flew to another planet and finally plant the flag, leaving a record. And what, is that all? Did I follow this? For this I spent many hours? I can only dive into a little throwback craft and go home, there's nothing else to do in the game. Well, let the graphics not be like in AAA projects, not even like in 2019 trailers, but where is the game itself? We have not seen the start of really big crafts, we have not seen a real game, we do not know anything about what will happen with the bases and science. I installed various planetpacks, but due to the limitations of KSP1, there was nothing to do on all dozens of new planets either. What new will we get on the new planets when they appear? The need to build even bigger ships to put a flag on them and fly home? What's the point of advertising the graphics of a game that isn't about graphics? We have two heroes that can make graphics incredible, you can't surprise us with that. If the developers believe that the graphics are the best part of the game, then we are in for severe disappointments. If everything is fine with the game, then the head of the advertising campaign should be fired.

Edited by Alexoff

25 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Expecting Morrowind level theme park details on a planetary basis, not just for 1 planet (which is already absurd) but for potentially a dozen planets or more is all kinds of hilarious.

I think you're too used to the barren and empty KSP1. Devs stated all planets will have unique biomes and a lot of stuff to explore. This is what I expect also.

Does the terrain look like this yet?

Spoiler

HNiMEwx.png

1St0i04.png

ufMDj7X.png

Does the atmosphere look like this yet?

Spoiler

ItoHdBd.png

TSLNhJo.png

Do the clouds have layers like this yet?

Spoiler

qJuvVt5.png

Do we have weather visual effects? Not yet? Then let's see it all brought together for the release. Because the individual pieces are there.

43 minutes ago, TLTay said:

I feel you @TLTay. Your expectations are normal. Just wait a little bit longer, it will all come together. I'm as exited for the good graphics as I am for the gameplay mechanics improvements.

11 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

What's the point of advertising the graphics of a game that isn't about graphics? We have two heroes that can make her incredible, you can't surprise us with that. If the developers believe that the graphics are the best part of the game, then we are in for severe disappointments. If everything is fine with the game, then the head of the advertising campaign should be fired.

Clearly the graphical features are being progressively integrated and the gameplay mechanics.. we'll have to discover when EA releases. I'm still waiting to see the new mission planner and the actions recorder. I'm waiting to go though a long list. And I don't think we're going to be disappointed. It's just a weird teasing cheap marketing campaign...

Edited by Vl3d

9 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I think you're too used to the barren and empty KSP1. Devs stated all planets will have unique biomes and a lot of stuff to explore. This is what I expect also.

You have played KSP 1, yet somehow have no concept of the scale you are talking about here.

The only way it would be possible to have something interesting to look at no matter where you landed would be through absolutely ridiculous looking procedural generation and it would look absolutely terrible at any sort of elevation above 500 meters. 

Edited by MechBFP

10 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I really want to start a conversation with players that have the rigs to max out the graphics and also want very high quality visuals.

What do you want to see in the game from a graphics standpoint? Are you satisfied with what was shown up to this point?

I think the parts currently look good, the planets look good in the show and tell videos.

I'm hoping to see very nice weather visuals.

Can we hope for Ray Tracing? Can we hope for good looking dynamic terrain surface (like tracks in dust and mud and snow)? God Rays? Massive scatter? True volumetric clouds (also on alien worlds)?

What else should we have for maximum immersion and visual pleasure?

These demo videos show what's possible in Unity.

I'll be on the game the moment of launch to test its maximum capabilities.  I recently splurged and decided to build a practically blank check rig.  Running Ryzen's new 7950x, 32gigs of the fastest speed and latency ram my motherboard and cpu support, RTX 4090, and a Samsung 980 pro m.2.  

I will be streaming KSP2 the minute it releases for approx 8 hours a day for 3 days straight on my twitch channel.  If anyone is on the fence, or even just wants to see how ksp2 runs at max settings on a "spared no expense" machine, please stop by on the big day!  twitch.tv/drchives53

11 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It's just a weird teasing cheap marketing campaign...

I think T2 has a staff of well paid professional advertisers. They may not, of course, be involved in the KSP2 ad itself, but they could oversee what is being shown to the community. Still, this is an investment of a large company, they are unlikely to let ads go by their own accord.

Just now, MechBFP said:

The only way it would be possible to have something interesting to look at no matter where you landed would be through absolutely ridiculous looking procedural generation and it would look absolutely terrible at any sort of elevation above 500 meters. 

Do games exist which model the whole planet with insanely good graphics? Yes. Then it's not ridiculous to at least have 100 interesting places to visit on every planet.

3 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Do games exist which model the whole planet with insanely good graphics? Yes. Then it's not ridiculous to at least have 100 interesting places to visit on every planet.

Do you understand how extremely small of an area 100 places would take up on a planetary scale?

Edited by MechBFP

19 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It's just a weird teasing cheap marketing campaign...

I don't think they want the early access release to be a big thing, I think the marketing right now isnt too much for your newcomers, its for us. They dont want a bunch of people to get into ksp2 when only 20% of the content they want to put in is available to the public. They want those who are comfortable with purchasing it to buy it and already have a baseline understanding of ksp1 to buy it, so they can get that feedback, and as they move along that roadmap then theyll ramp onto more widely reaching advertising.

31 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

I don't think they want the early access release to be a big thing, I think the marketing right now isn't too much for newcomers, its for us.

It's a big thing either way. It's a big sequel. It's the 10th most wishlisted game on Steam. It has new tutorials. The game will never be simpler than it is when Science Mode is released. You don't want beginners to start with interstellar progression - the Kerbol system is the ideal place to start. But I'm not talking about selling the game to newbies in this thread. I'm expecting the marketing to be impressive for the veterans who can buy and play and explore the game on day one of EA release. That means they should show us very impressive visuals and new gameplay videos. It's still very quiet 3 weeks before release. Anyway, there's a Marketing thread for this type of discussions.

Related to graphics.. unfortunately the most impressive thing on YouTube these days are the EVE Redux volumetric clouds for KSP1. And it's kind of a shame because each individual feature of KSP2 is much more beautiful than the first game. But it's just not integrated and promoted yet. We desperately need to see Max / Ultra graphics screenshots to be certain that the best decision is to buy the game on day one. Because it seems that the improved gameplay mechanics we'll have to discover after release.

Edited by Vl3d

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

Do you understand how extremely small of an area 100 places would take up on a planetary scale?

I think having at least 5 times more anomalies than there are on this map (there are 20 now) is a good start. 10 times more would be even better. You would just fly / drive from one to the other. That's months worth of content for the Kerbin system.

PS: I'm creating a separate thread for this.

Spoiler

ksp-kerbin-anomalies-map.png

14 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Y'all need to chill. 3 weeks is A LOT of time. You can start being worried if things still look sketchy less than two weeks before liftoff.

We're chill. Game looks good to me at this point.

Edited by Vl3d

13 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I think having at least 5 times more anomalies than there are on this map (there are 20 now) is a good start. 10 times more would be even better. You would just fly / drive from one to the other. That's months worth of content for the Kerbin system.

I don’t disagree, but Morrowind level detail that is not. Not even close. 

32 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I don’t disagree, but Morrowind level detail that is not. Not even close. 

I don't know about any specific level of detail from any other game. I'm just talking about a hypotetical anomaly density increase of ~10x. I created the new thread, take a look.

Edited by Vl3d

2 hours ago, Vl3d said:

That's months worth of content for the Kerbin system.

Personally I'd find it boring just flying around looking for anomalies. Maybe if they each had unique navigation challenges that you needed to deal with in order to get to them it'd be fun, but that sounds like a lot of work when you can just have unique planets posing different challenges.

Mr. Scott Manley built a new PC before the KSP2 release. I'm sure he'll be playing everything maxed out for the videos. He optimized for single core clock speed.

CPU: Intel i7 13700K

Motherboard: Aorus Z790

SSD: 2TB

RAM: G Skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5 64GB

Graphics: GeForce RTX 3070