Poll: When are you going to buy KSP2

GigFiz

When are you going to get KSP2?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. The long awaited day is nearly upon us. So tell us...what will you do?

• Day one, no question
    • Buying day one, but might wait to play it
    • Waiting for 1.0. Not interested in early access, or I want it to be the complete and polished experience when I play for the first time
    • Wait and see, depending on reviews and forum feedback
    • I don't want to deal with lots of bugs and performance issues; it will depend on stability and optimization
    • I'm really interested in a specific spot in the roadmap, and will start when that is reached
    • Waiting to see if I can run it
    • It will depend on the amount of spare time and/or money I have available

After more than three years of waiting, I am happy to say I'll be buying KSP 2 on day one. I have been burned before by games (looking at you, Ghost Recon Breakpoint) but I have so much confidence in the devs and their passion that I can't help but be immensely excited for the 24th.

Just now, KSACheese said:

After more than three years of waiting, I am happy to say I'll be buying KSP 2 on day one. I have been burned before by games (looking at you, Ghost Recon Breakpoint) but I have so much confidence in the devs and their passion that I can't help but be immensely excited for the 24th.

Even if the devs undershot their original goals, there's no way KSP 2 is going to run any worse than KSP 1. 

Genuinely don't know. I want to see what new features are included in the base game because if it's just a rehash of KSP1 with a couple of extra QOL features then there's nothing there for me to play. Also, dropping money on sight-unseen promised features when the base gameplay is just KSP1 seems like a waste of my money.

On 2/9/2023 at 5:17 PM, Bej Kerman said:

There's a he?

Fair enough

Odd that I used it that time, anyway; I much prefer, and usually use, neutral third-person personal.

Most definitely getting it as soon as it releases, although the features i am most excited about won't be there at release the full game might cost more- or that's the reasonable excuse, the real reason is that i want to be capable of claiming that i'm one of the real originals

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

To be fair, an option for people who don't have a choice might skew results.

It is in the plan to eventually release on Mac and linux so that would seem to be a wait-for option.  Others might wait for the colonies milestone, for example. I'm waiting for the linux milestone 

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

It is in the plan to eventually release on Mac and linux so that would seem to be a wait-for option.  Others might wait for the colonies milestone, for example. I'm waiting for the linux milestone 

But you don't really have a choice. It makes sense to cull options from a poll where, if someone picks it, it's not because they evaluated each option the poll has, but because they literally don't have the option to choose anything else. Someone might wait for the colonies milestone because they can choose not to buy the game before then. You are waiting for the "linux milestone" because you don't have any choice in the matter.

Tbh though I'm definitely buying it on day one and playing it, I'm planning on REALLY getting into playing it once Interstellar travel drops. It's my main draw more than anything else as someone who mostly just plays Sandbox (though maybe that'll change)

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

But you don't really have a choice. It makes sense to cull options from a poll where, if someone picks it, it's not because they evaluated each option the poll has, but because they literally don't have the option to choose anything else. Someone might wait for the colonies milestone because they can choose not to buy the game before then. You are waiting for the "linux milestone" because you don't have any choice in the matter.

No, I do have a choice.  I could deal with Windows and install KSP2.  What you think I'm thinking has never been what I'm thinking.  Something to think about maybe

I should put in a plug for the heroic KSP1 modders.  With the great mods I can be happy with KSP1 until KSP2 releases on linux.  If it were a choice between stock KSP1 and KSP2 I'd probably drag myself onto Windows.  But it really depends on when the Lua scripting becomes available in KSP2 also, or when kOS is working in KSP2 

Edited by darthgently

18 hours ago, darthgently said:

No, I do have a choice.  I could deal with Windows and install KSP2.  What you think I'm thinking has never been what I'm thinking.  Something to think about maybe

I will be utterly shocked if KSP2 doesn't work perfectly in Proton/Wine.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:20 AM, WelshSteW said:

If I could pre-order now, I would.

You generally shouldn't preorder games. It's one of these things that only helps corporate numbers, pretty much never impacts what the developers are getting out of it, and can actually harm development, because it results in the marketing for the game happening early, and a lot of developers are pulled from their work to provide footage and screenshots for marketing in the best case or working on preorder bonuses or even early beta when the developers should really be polishing the game and creating good day-one experience.

As a game dev, I would much rather see people wait for day one to buy the games. If I'm getting a bonus from sales, a day one sale is as good as a pre-order, and if nobody preorders, I can spend more time making the game better for that first day. There's not going to be a shortage when the game releases if you're getting it digital. And you can even have a short window for a refund if it's bad. (At least, on Steam.) Get the game day one, keep it if it's as good as you expected, and don't participate in corporate's charade.

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I will be utterly shocked if KSP2 doesn't work perfectly in Proton/Wine.

This is my thinking as well. I'm almost certainly going to be buying on day one for Linux, and if for whatever reason it doesn't run in Proton immediately, I'll be among those trying to find workarounds. If that fails, KSP2 is one of the very few titles I'm willing to run a Windows VM (with GPU passthrough) for.