What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

Did the Duna landing and return to orbit today.

wBSqpTE.jpg

That turned out to be just about right.

Spoiler

lJZwzvJ.jpg

Not bad, I think. Took a couple of tries, no lie, but I was within a kilometer to start.

The lander fell over (not too surprisingly, the landing legs in this version of the game don't handle mass very well) but I made do, jetted it across the ground at a reasonable speed (think a parachute blew up) to a slope near the target and then got out for the samples. Once done I used the last of the landing fuel to slide off the slope and get as upright as possible before triggering the second stage. I transmitted some of the science to complete the mission and left these kids in orbit until the next transfer window. With that, I'm three nodes away from unlocking all of tier 2 science.

k3KTLPM.jpg

Finally managed to visit Kapy Rock. By remembering that I can go into polar orbit and just wait until it comes below me. (Thanks for the reminder fellow forum user whose name I forgot). Built a tiny rover made of 4 tiny wheels, a battery and the bloody required lander can. (Un)Surprisingly very hard to drive.

Also visited the other sightseeing spot, this time with a plane. Landing the stupid thing in these mountains and "driving" it towards the big thing was certainly interesting.

Now there's nothing to do but to warp until Duna transfer window, the gameplay element I hate the most.

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Finally managed to visit Kapy Rock. By remembering that I can go into polar orbit and just wait until it comes below me. (Thanks for the reminder fellow forum user whose name I forgot). Built a tiny rover made of 4 tiny wheels, a battery and the bloody required lander can. (Un)Surprisingly very hard to drive.

Also visited the other sightseeing spot, this time with a plane. Landing the stupid thing in these mountains and "driving" it towards the big thing was certainly interesting.

Now there's nothing to do but to warp until Duna transfer window, the gameplay element I hate the most.

You just need to launch with the lander can, you don't have to visit the rock with it.

On 1/1/2024 at 5:32 AM, The Aziz said:

I did it in a lander can on wheels. 

Edited by Steigleder

Made my first ever trip to Duna yesterday.  Managed to land and visit the monument.  Delta V was borderline at departure and only got worse as the mission went on, so Bob knew early it was going to be a one way trip.  I did learn something many of you probably knew already but it never came up in my play which is you can repack a parachute.  I'm going to back up the game and try using them on the Duna landing.  Might be able to save enough fuel to get him back into orbit.

BILL KERMAN'S ACT OF HEROICS:  After an unplanned repositioning of his lander on the Mun, Bill found himself in the unfortunate position of being without fuel and stranded on the return trip to Kerbin.  His final orbit was around 7,000km Apo and 120km Peri.  Faced with the possibility of a long, and lonely existence in high Kerbin orbit and with no hopes of rescue, Bill looked around for anything he could use and concocted a "hail mary" plan.  After staging everything except his capsule, Bill left the safety of his module behind and stepped into the dark endless reaches of space.  With the capsule oriented retrograde, Bill stood on the heat shield and fired his RCS jet pack.  Slowly but surely his Peri declined....  100km.... 85km...70km.   It was working.... but would he have enough fuel in his jet pack?  It was a slow and tense process.  Finally, with only a few pounds of monopropellant remaining he managed to bring his Peri down to 40km.  That was enough to catch the atmosphere on his next pass by Kerbin and bring both himself and the capsule home safely; effectively executing a self-rescue.  Our hats off to you Bill.  This is the kind of ingenuity and determination that separates Kerbonauts from us mere humans.

Time to visit the inner Kerbol system for me.

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5363&authke

I had less heating problems during Eve descent, than during Kerbin ascent....

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5364&authke

My rover landed in the hills, the atmosphere of Eve is really impressive, and I will not spoil you the view... :wink:

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5366&authke

There was plenty of fuel remaining in my orbital probe...

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5367&authke

2 hours ago, hatterson said:

@Urus28 Is that a large heat shield with smaller heat shields radially attached to it? Or do you have something like a large under the probe body and small ones under each wheel?

I have one large under (medium size if I remember correctly) the rover body and one small for each wheel, I did not have large enough heat shield for the complete rover.

Not today but during holidays, i flew a jet (Rafale style) in the western deserts...

FRP2zv2.png

And my Rover travelled about 80 km (!) across Eve, some parts are allways showing heatbars, well Eve is supposed to have more than 150° celsius at daytime. I have a small reaction wheel underneath the body which helps turning back when the rover flips. The landscape is a challenge to navigate, i am trying to reach the "Explodium Sea" in the west but it is still some 200 km away. The heatbar in the background is from my powered descent pod i used, after 50km distance the label disappeard. And then i lost control due to Eve advancing too far in its orbit, i have to wait a few months to come back to this rover and move on.

dLlnP30.png

More valleys ahead...

AHnB28M.png

Edited by Mikki

This was spread over about a week in real life, but year 13 of my space agency's life was a very exciting one with the following events happening:

Day 85    - Moho lander launch (unmanned)
        - Eeloo lander launch (manned)
        - Dres lander launch (manned)
        - Tylo rescue/lander launch (sent out unmanned so there was space for the crew to come back)
Day 104    - Moho mid course adjustment
Day 125    - Dres mid course adjustment
Day 159    - Eeloo Transfer
Day 185    - Moho Encounter
Day 186 - Moho Landing and shenanigans**
Day 209    - Jool Transfer for Tylo rescue/lander
Day 269 - Jool mid course adjustment to get Laythe gravity assist inbound into Tylo encounter
Day 347 - Eeloo mid course adjustment
Day 380 - Moho -> Kerbin Transfer

I still believe I have a few things that will happen in this game year, but don't have those fully mapped out yet and they might bump into year 14.

**Shenanigans description in spoilers

Spoiler

Visiting the Mohole took something like 7-8 landing attempts to finally work due to terrain issues and glitches around the craft sitting on the surface but not counting as landed consistently (thus not allowing experiments to run). But I finally got it to work and then turned in the mission only to see a follow up mission to visit the croissant or whatever it's called. dV was already a bit tight so I knew I definitely couldn't hop over there and still make it home normally. However, I was already out here and didn't want to wait year to come back, so I figured I'd visit it and figure the rest out later.

Made the hope over, collected the samples, and got back into orbit.

After all that:

Waited at Moho for my transfer back to Kerbin and was able to get a pretty rough encounter with Kerbin where I hit it right at the descending node after burning all but 100 m/s of my dV. That means that when I scream by Kerbin I'll likely be going close to 4k m/s and at something like a 60 degree inclination.

I'll have all the data transferred at that point, but I want those juicy surface samples from two separate locations on Moho. So the plan will be to perform what is effectively an asteroid capture mission. I don't have access to the grabber unit (is it even in KSP 2 at this point?) and the lander doesn't have a docking port so it'll have to be a manned mission where the craft goes up, rendezvous with the returning craft, EVAs over to it, and manually removes the samples to bring them back.

From what I've seen I don't believe vessel to vessel science transfer is currently possible in game without docking, so that may require some save file editing, but I think that's fine all things considered.

Edited by hatterson

For my last day of Christmas holidays, I decided to visit the north polar region of Duna with my little rover.

Roving in the large deserts of Duna at high speed !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5371&authke

Still the access to the pole is well guarded with bad terrains, these places are unforgiving for rovers.

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5368&authke

Finally, the north polar region with one of the numerous valley in the region.

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5369&authke

I accidentally built a kraken drive today. I was working on this "dream chaser" type spacecraft and I found a strange change in velocity when a kerbal would walk over a docking port while on a ladder.

Did this ever happened to anyone?

I will not even tell you what happened... the story is in the photos. And this is just the beginning! :sealed:

Screenshot-183.png

Screenshot-189.png

Screenshot-190.png

Screenshot-193.png

Spoiler

Screenshot-195.png

Spoiler

Screenshot-196.png

Screenshot-198.png

Screenshot-199.png

Screenshot-205.png

Screenshot-209.png

Screenshot-208.png

Edited by Vanamonde

On 1/1/2024 at 5:32 AM, The Aziz said:

I used the Rovemax M1 wheels (whatever they're called now, the Apollo moon rover style wheels) and just turned the rover 90° on it's end to make it fit behind a heat shield. The parachute will land it on all 4 wheels.

First time I did land in the middle of the lake. That was less fun.

I built a dinghy.
Screenshot-215.png

Then I upgraded it..

Screenshot-216.png

And.. now it has wheels and nuclear reactors. It's not the fastest, but it's reliable!

Screenshot-217.png

Edited by Vl3d

I fiiiiinally got to play FOR SCIENCE! 

I've flown three rockets so far -- first one to orbit and back (did the first missions -- launch, reach space, reach orbit), second one a satellite around the Mun (second mission, orbit the Mun), and a third a crewed mission to the Mun and back. No docking on that one, just a spacewalk from the lander back to the return module, also did some side missions on them. 

Overall experience was super good! There were a few bugs but nothing major, most noticeable one was that the dV indicator read a big fat zero on some of my upper stages, probably because of my somewhat unconventional packaging. I really missed having a progression mode, this is going to keep me coming back!