I'm heartbroken over the reviews so far.

snkiz

14 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

1. Bought KSP1 for 7 dollars in 2012 and it changed my life. I am literally studying aerospace engineering in college and that spark was ignited by KSP. as far as I'm concerned, that $7 wasn't nearly enough and I was happy to pay 50 for the successor in the hopes this game could ignite the curiosity of so many more people.

If you're really buying a game to show appreciation for the devs of KSP1, I would suggest buying https://store.steampowered.com/app/977920/Balsa_Model_Flight_Simulator/

It was developed by Felipe/Harvestr, the original KSP1 creator.  A lot more of your dollars would end up supporting who made KSP than giving money to Take2 . (no offense Take2)

4 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

@snkizYou can leave a review on Steam and change it later when things change.

I know, it just feels like dogpiling though. I had no intention of reviewing it before I see how progresses for a bit. Not everyone has that kind of reserve though. It wouldn't be good if they did anyway. I swear this EA is turning into a kobayashi maru. ( I can't believe google knows how to spell that.)

@regex You don't need to defend your opinion here. It's just as valid as everyone else's.

Just now, regex said:

It's not a "defense", it's an actual fact.

You believe what you need to believe. For me, this is an actual early access title. It works about as I expected it to and I don't have any conspiracy theories about a corporation offloading playtesting costs on to me because I'm not sitting here making QA reports or performing a bunch of standardized tests; I'm playing a game and having a good time.

It's also an actual fact that the game directly conflicts with Steams guidelines on early access titles and that over half of the users who reviewed it on Steam so far would agree that it's a massive rip off (while the other half would likely be no where near as forgiving if not for the existence of KSP1). So while it may be an actual fact that the game is early access, you're misrepresenting it by using that term as a defense - and that is exactly what you're doing when you use it in the context that you are.

Just because I can slap an "innocent baby" label on a piece of excrements and leave it on a swing in the park doesn't mean I should be taken seriously when I cry wolf that someone is hurting my innocent baby by wiping it off the damn seat.

You're more than welcome to enjoy the game, nobody is stopping you. I've watched the gaming industry become riddled with anti-consumer practices while individuals like yourselves have gone out of their way to defend the massive billion-dollar corporations pushing these practices. I couldn't care less whether you enjoy the game or not, but I will very eagerly call out anyone trying to defend a faceless corporation that's looking to exploit you for all you're worth because when we collectively give them an inch they take a foot.

4 minutes ago, snkiz said:

@regex You don't need to defend your opinion here. It's just as valid as everyone else's.

I guess you don't know me, hahaha, I don't consider my opinion needing of defense. But, if I'm too much I'll happily step out of your thread.

10 minutes ago, regex said:

I guess you don't know me, hahaha, I don't consider my opinion needing of defense. But, if I'm too much I'll happily step out of your thread.

I'm just going to point out that Regex here has, in my experience, been extensively critical of the game's design prior to release. The fact that he, upon actually playing the game, is having fun with it, should be a testament to both the game being enjoyable even despite instability, and how unlikely it is that his position is preconceived.

4 minutes ago, SingABrightSong said:

I'm just going to point out that Regex here has, in my experience, been extensively critical of the game's design prior to release. The fact that he, upon actually playing the game, is having fun with it, should be a testament to both the game being enjoyable even despite instability, and how unlikely it is that his position is preconceived.

hahaha, are you sure you're not reading my forums posts from ten years ago? :D But yes, in all honesty this thing needs a ton of work; I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't a huge fan of the original. OTOH, there's so much promise here and it's working fabulously (for the most part) on my system, so I don't have any real complaints beyond impatience.

Naturally everyone else is entitled to their opinion, I just think the fact that it's an early access title should be a fact that is kept in mind RE: any review.

17 minutes ago, Vicis said:

This is a massive corporation offloading the risk of funding the game and the cost of play testing it to you, the consumer.

That’s not it.  Early access is a really expensive way to do both.

For a corporation like TT,  early access is mostly two things.

One, a way to gauge interest in the game. How many people bought it? How much spending in marketing did it take to get those numbers? This is valuable data that can be used to plan the actual release and decide on how much to invest in maintaining the game later.

Two, to build buzz and momentum. If done right, it can create a snowball of excitement and over time create a core community of players. This has worked really well for Larian — every time they release a bigger update for BG3 their numbers go up.

There are side benefits as well — getting some cash in early is nice, and field-testing features and solutions and getting telemetry on what people are actually doing can be useful — but a company the size of TT can afford to defer the launch, and playtesting is much faster, more efficient, and cheaper with a professional team of consultants doing that.

The downside is initial bad publicity especially if expectations are high. This can turn around quickly as the game comes together and players see issues being addressed, but it can do bad things to team morale. I hope Intercept is staying off the forums and not reading the Steam reviews, because they won’t help. 

EA can also be a disaster if the game doesn’t improve relatively rapidly. That puts a lot of pressure on the team and if not managed well can become pretty awful.

(Note — small self-funded independent studios are different, they may actually need the cash, and they may actually use EA for playtesting. For that to work the community must be small enough that it builds personal relationships with the developers. KSP1 was like that in its early days. KSP2 isn’t.)

1 hour ago, regex said:

Then don't pay it.

Catch-22: if people don't buy it, it may never mature into a finished product; if people do buy it and criticize its state, negative reviews and refunds may lead to the same result; if people buy it and refuse to criticize it, it will work as an excuse for bad business practices and lead to more of the same result again. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

One thing that should be pointed out is that negativity and even anger is way better than indifference.

8 minutes ago, Periple said:

KSP1 was like that in its early days. KSP2 isn’t.

KSP2 can be.  We know (or at least I trust) they love the game as much as they say they do.

EA was certainly a risk - but one I'm glad they made.  However, unlike a lot of the people I see posting - I'm experienced in Beta Testing games and EA in other titles.  So I expect bugs, lack of optimization and etc.

I'm just really glad to have access to the game... and I think we need to have a couple of weeks of patience as they sort through the chatter and work on the big stuff.

I have every expectation that this thing will be patched and patched and patched again over the coming weeks.

5 minutes ago, J.Random said:

Catch-22:

You're not wrong but, also, if it's not worth it for someone they certainly should not be paying for it.

Edited by regex

No not exactly, I never expected it to go smoothly. I'm one that understands the state of things. Many of those reviews don't. Even if they do the binary choice doesn't lend itself to that nuance. I believe Intercept is sincere, I have less faith in T2. 

1 hour ago, snkiz said:

No not exactly, I never expected it to go smoothly. I'm one that understands the state of things. Many of those reviews don't. Even if they do the binary choice doesn't lend itself to that nuance. I believe Intercept is sincere, I have less faith in T2. 

You know Take2 and Intercept are the same thing right?   Just like Private Division, Intercept is a bunch of people who work directly for Take2.  They may have a different brand name, and you may like individuals you've seen put out videos - but those videos have all been released under Take2's auspices, by Take2's marketing department, with the intention of selling Take2's product based on IP Take2 owns.    Purchasing the product helps Take2's bottom line - the money doesn't especially go to the developers, though it can affect raises/bonuses/etc a bit. 

But you're right - game devs are often sincere about their product.  On the other hand... Sean Murray.  And remember, Take2 isn't going to put you in front of the camera to say something about the game unless you're going to say nice things (or as nice as possible).  So there's a bit of a selection process where if you want to go in front of the camera, you need to be as positive as possible.  You definitely don't get to say 'The game is very buggy, don't buy it yet.  Don't be excited because we're years away from it being finished. no matter what T2 says'.   You'll notice that the developer videos tend to focus on a very limited # of individuals while Intercept has dozens and dozens of employees.
{snip}

Edited by Gargamel
Content Redacted

6 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

You know Take2 and Intercept are the same thing right?

This isn't the place to discuss that. And yes I've been here a long time. I know the whole story, as far as is publicly available. More than can be discussed on the forum. At the end of the day Intercept is the dev. Private division the inde label T2 created. For reasons best not discussed. 

23 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

On the other hand... Sean Murray

I get your point being about overpromising and underdelivering, but... I would be overjoyed to see KSP2 follow in the footsteps of No Man's Sky. Sean Murray and Hello Games have now spent some ~8 years making good on those initial overpromises (and so SO much more), without so much as a single paid DLC.

Edited by Jarin

11 minutes ago, Jarin said:

I get your point being about overpromising and underdelivering, but... I would be overjoyed to see KSP2 follow in the footsteps of No Man's Sky. Sean Murray and Hello Games have now spent some ~8 years making good on those initial overpromises (and so SO much more), without so much as a single paid DLC.

Yeah lets hope it goes that way vs in more of a Chris Roberts direction.