Info about the first patch

Mutex

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

In the same "Campaign", there are a list of saves, you can see the last time it was played.  I'd load the one just before the last saved

I just got around to recreating the campaign that won't load.   Tried your suggestion after seeing the list of saves.   Sadly none of the saves will load.

Using Microsoft Procmon, focused on KSP2_x64.exe, the load appears to be stuck in an endless loop reading the file at:

AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\backtrace\bt-breadcrumbs-0

over and over from start to end of file over and over.   So I do get a chance to load another save from the campaign, but it doesn't matter.   Even attempting to load the saves near the bottom of that list results the same.

task manager show 7 gigs of free memory with 8.7 in use.  KSP2 is using 2.3 gig.  Percent CPU usage is only 7%.   The reading of that file is only taking 0 to 1% of the SSD's throughput.

Using the Analyze Wait Chain function indicates it is running normally, not blocked on anything.

Rebooting does not affect it.

New campaign works normally.

System is a 20 core I9 with 32 gigs overall.  GeForce RTX graphics.  OS is Windows 10 Pro.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

No promises, but if you zip it all up, I'll take a look at it

Need guidance on what to zip.   Will I need to zip up the appdata folder path procmon was showing reads from?   Or just my portable ksp2 folder?   And should I just attach the zip file here?   It might be a security issue if others can download from the forum without a purchase.

40 minutes ago, Steve7893 said:

Need guidance on what to zip.   Will I need to zip up the appdata folder path procmon was showing reads from?   Or just my portable ksp2 folder?   And should I just attach the zip file here?   It might be a security issue if others can download from the forum without a purchase.

Actually, while I was waiting to hear from you I was able to 

1. Zip up the files at AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games in the original broken state in case you wanted it.

2. Rename the folder.

3. Start the game, reaccept EULA, save and exit.

4. Using Beyond Compare on the two folders, copy files, except anything in the backtrace folder or either of the Player logs.

Then upon starting the game, I noticed that the top 3 saves now had a tag "VESSEL UNAVAILABLE".   Skipping those 3, the next one loaded fine, and in fact all ships in orbit are still in orbit, all kerbals are alive and well, and the game is running smoothly again.

Let me know if you want the original zip file I made, its only about 6.5 meg or so.

Edited by Steve7893
ship was suppose to be vessel

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Sounds like you got it fixed

Yes, thanks to you.   Had you not asked for it, I would not have even investigated what was inside the appdata folders.  :)   Thanks.

This will REALLY be a big help, since if it happens again, I won't lose any time.

REALLY, THANKS!!!

It would be interesting to know what the vessel was that was unavailable.   Reloading the save that worked, all of the vessels are accounted for.   There were no others.

oh gee, yes I know.   The unavailable vessel was the vessel that disappeared that I used to create the situation in the first place.   The game somehow still had a memory of it even if I could not see it anymore.

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, First, would be nice if you spelled my name correctly.

Second, neither Shadowzone nor myself were at the ESA event.  So your comment:  "Does an ESA trip really buy that much of someone's integrity?" is totally irrelevant. 

Third, other than a small Patreon account which doesn't get me that much, I have no financial interest in the game.

Fourth, as stated above, many of these issues were publicly visible in the videos for a week before.

I've stated my background and experience many times.  Would you be so kind as to tell us what sort of background you have in software development, game development, or if not those, whatever it is you do?  You are running your mouth (figuratively) off, and it really seems that you are just trying to make as much noise as possible. 

I was given a trip 3 years ago to PAXWest for  the initial event back then.  As reported it was a very unfinished product, although they did show us some cool stuff.  We were told they had been working on it for a couple of years (you can go back and watch the original video from Star Theory where they talk about that).  

[snip]

Regarding patches, my understanding is that they are using 2 week sprints (a method of managing software development, look up Agile if you want more info).  So I wouldn't expect a patch before Friday, and wouldn't be surprised to not see it until the week after.

Sorry I'll get your name right in the future.  Inadvertent misspelling.

I've been a game dev for over 15 years.  Not an amateur modder, actually got paid a living wage for my work.  I've seen all kinds of projects succeeding and failing.  I'm not saying KSP2 is unique in just how spectacularly its managed to love up, but I think it is pretty unique in how gaslit this community is after such a disastrous launch.  And its pretty common to pay streamers to feature games, seemed quite fishy how several are dancing to a different tune lately.  Regardless of whether its early in the game's release cycle, the time and budget involved would ordinarily have meant that such a bad first release would be met with even more critique - but that 'early access' label + a lot of hope filled fans is doing a LOT of heavy lifting for Intercept.

I'm very familiar with sprints and Agile and if you read another thread I'm in, 'discussing' the matter with someone who apparently works on big IT projects but doesn't realize you can't just release bug fixes one by one, I'm with you on that.  I don't even know why you brought it up, appropo of nothing I said.  Though games do tend to work on non-standard schedules when they release a buggy excrements show with show stopper bugs to get specific fixes addressed asap, I'll grant you that with just how many save errors and crashes KSP2 exhibits, there's no reason to not just try and wait till they have a big batch of stuff to regress and release.    Again, that doesn't matter, wasn't even what we were speaking about in this thread. 

54 minutes ago, Steve7893 said:

Actually, while I was waiting to hear from you I was able to 

1. Zip up the files at AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games in the original broken state in case you wanted it.

2. Rename the folder.

3. Start the game, reaccept EULA, save and exit.

4. Using Beyond Compare on the two folders, copy files, except anything in the backtrace folder or either of the Player logs.

Then upon starting the game, I noticed that the top 3 saves now had a tag "VESSEL UNAVAILABLE".   Skipping those 3, the next one loaded fine, and in fact all ships in orbit are still in orbit, all kerbals are alive and well, and the game is running smoothly again.

Let me know if you want the original zip file I made, its only about 6.5 meg or so.

Hey, post this in the bug reports, could be of real value to the devs. Also, happy you got your save fixed

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Nerdy Mike says there will be info on the patch coming in the next few days.

A new "releasetest" "candidate" branch went up a few hours ago.  I remain hopeful :)

E: my bad.

Edited by Chilkoot

11 hours ago, The Aziz said:

[...] Those don't mean much aside from the fact that there's work being done.

Which is a very good thing to see, considering the recent news about personnel reduction at PD and IG.

I really hope the undocking-destroying bug will be fixed in this update, as I'm unable to construct a big interplanetary ship in orbit. And launching one from KSC drops my framerate to ~7 FPS (I have a i5-12400f and RTX 3070Ti).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.