Any update of when to expect new content?

Ferio

7 hours ago, -dbv- said:

There were some minor mission based bugs and the console version was crap (who exprected that this game would run on middleclass hardware from 2013?) but overall I wouldn't count CP2077 as a failed PC start.

By the way, the console version of KSP1 was practically unplayable for almost a year, it's scary to think what happens to the console version of KSP2. Will she be at all? And after the hype of cyberpunk, many other companies began postponing their games to a later date and promised that their game would not become cyberpunk 2078. If KSP had been a more popular game, then KSP2 would have been firmly established as a benchmark in the gaming industry for a long time. The standard of how not to develop and promote games.

18 hours ago, -dbv- said:

But the CP2077 release was nearly perfect compared to ksp2. I had zero problems running it on max settings with RT enabled.  There were some minor mission based bugs and the console version was crap (who exprected that this game would run on middleclass hardware from 2013?) but overall I wouldn't count CP2077 as a failed PC start.

Indeed, I did encounter some bugs but to be honest I'd enjoy the game from the start too.

Anyway I hope we so content being released next to fixes and tweaks. Can't imagine people continue to play (or buy) if they don't add big content updates soon, even if that means it contains bugs.

Edited by Ferio

21 hours ago, Alexoff said:

By the way, the console version of KSP1 was practically unplayable for almost a year, it's scary to think what happens to the console version of KSP2. Will she be at all?

I doubt you even see a console version of KSP2 until AT LEAST Exploration is out.

26 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

They've explicitly stated no console work until after 1.0.

But in the T2 report, it was written that the console version will be released in fiscal 2024, so 1.0 will be pretty soon! Although ... let's wait for the May T2 report and at least 0.2.0

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

They've explicitly stated no console work until after 1.0.

I thought they said console release concurrently with 1.0, no? Either way, yeah, I wouldn't expect the console version until the EA is done even if Intercept didn't say anything. For one thing, EA implies fairly frequent updates. Even if we get an update "only" every 3-4 weeks, for consoles, that's not a sustainable pace. Lead times required for approvals are pretty long. There are workarounds, technically, and little content fixes can be pushed more frequently, but right now, majority of fixes are of the sort that would require cert, and that takes time even for larger studios.

On 4/20/2023 at 2:39 PM, Alexoff said:

If the main game is released in this state, then there is no reason to expect new content to be done well, and not break what was fixed yesterday.

I have a theory that the team wasn’t really getting anywhere with the game so they just said “screw it”, and remade the game over the course of ~1 year and then released it as early access. That would explain why the game is so buggy even after 5 years, and why the game has become relatively playable over the course of the past month or so.

46 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Even if we get an update "only" every 3-4 weeks, for consoles, that's not a sustainable pace.

I think you underestimate console players…

44 minutes ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

remade the game over the course of ~1 year and then released it as early access. That would explain why the game is so buggy even after 5 years

Remade it in 3, and that's closer to the real development time of this game. Which sounds like a lot of time, but not when the team is as small as Intercept.

I know that saying that Intercept started from scratch isn't entirely correct. A lot of the same people came over and a lot of the assets were available. But given the project rescoping, company re-org, etc, for the purposes of thinking of how long it took to make this game, you can think of it as entering pre-production when Intercept took over, and starting full scale production when they were fully staffed. So summer 2020 is when real work on what we now know as KSP2 would have begun. Again, asterisks and caveats, but for the purposes of discussion, that'll do.

Also, just FYI, the games are always buggy late into the development. The kinds of bugs can vary, and certain kinds of bugs later in the development can be an indicator of poor organization in some cases or insufficient resources in others, but here's the relevant bit. KSP2 isn't finished. If KSP2 was released into early access and had no significant bugs - either the game should have been shipped as complete, or the scope should have been greater. Given the roadmap, you're playing an alpha build. It looks like an alpha build and it plays like an alpha build. And that's a reasonable condition for the game to be in if it's not getting released in the next 2-3 months.

A lot of indy games are released into EA in what plays more like a beta. That's because they're trying to raise money to increase the scope of the game, and they know that an alpha build won't do that, and the game might never leave EA. Intercept knows that they have money to finish the game, presumably. KSP2 EA only needed to be playable enough to get feedback, and that's what we see.

44 minutes ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

I think you underestimate console players…

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. It's unsustainable for developers.

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

I thought they said console release concurrently with 1.0, no?

We may be remembering different but related statements.  I know the publisher would like to have it on Consoles as soon as possible, because that's where the money is.

So - just to keep up the quibble - I think it was "Console release is after 1.0"  (which to correct myself, doesn't imply no Console related work until then... just for folks to not anticipate KSP2 for any Console until 1.0 comes out.  - I don't remember anything about concurrency or delay, either way).

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

A few relevant things from the discord here: 

image.png

image.png

Im pretty sure dakotas science there means hes playtesting science which makes sense, cms have played early builds of things in the past. We know that Heat has been in the playtesting phase for a while now, so thats still very much up in the air as to when it'll come out (it probably doesnt help that the QA team has there hands full with the game as is as well). I seriously doubt that science is next patch, but I wont be surprised if its 2-3 patches from now for real this time (from what we've seen in code at least the tech tree is done, and few years back we've seen a few completed science parts, so all things considered science is likely in a high state of development). Vacuum methalox engines will presumably come before all of that

1 hour ago, Strawberry said:

We know that Heat has been in the playtesting phase for a while now, so thats still very much up in the air

Of course, reentry heat is up in the air. Where else would it be?

And I don't know how much we can read into the "doing science" status. That might be entirely incidental. Otherwise, though, yeah, it's entirely possible that some of the roadmap targets have shifted a bit. We know that engineering was way busier than Intercept probably expected with the first couple of patches. That could have allowed the content team to run ahead, and that can easily result in some things being ready earlier or some other things getting delayed to later, allowing the team to swap things around a bit.

22 hours ago, K^2 said:

So summer 2020 is when real work on what we now know as KSP2 would have begun.

So work began on the scheduled release date... I've said it before, if they announced early access dropping 2022 and it got delayed and is in this state, I think no one would have a problem with that. The reason why people are complaining is that there was clearly mismanagement (at best) behind the scenes and no explanation has been forthcoming. No matter how you slice it or dice it, if they had to start over from scratch in 2020, they should have delayed it more than a year. Therefore, their delay timeline + the state of the game is fishy. For me personally, I'm still waiting and hopeful that the game will end up being great.

34 minutes ago, VlonaldKerman said:

So work began on the scheduled release date... I've said it before, if they announced early access dropping 2022 and it got delayed and is in this state, I think no one would have a problem with that. The reason why people are complaining is that there was clearly mismanagement (at best) behind the scenes and no explanation has been forthcoming. No matter how you slice it or dice it, if they had to start over from scratch in 2020, they should have delayed it more than a year. Therefore, their delay timeline + the state of the game is fishy. For me personally, I'm still waiting and hopeful that the game will end up being great.

I’ve been contemplating this for a while and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m just happy the game is out. I can complain all I want but that’s not gonna fix anything. The updates are pretty good too, raising the fps by 5 each update for me.

2 hours ago, VlonaldKerman said:

So work began on the scheduled release date...

Release date scheduled by Star Theory Games, which, by that point, was shut down. What's your point, exactly?

2 hours ago, VlonaldKerman said:

no explanation has been forthcoming

I don't mean to paint STG as a scapegoat for all the problems, but in terms of the information being out there, the original devs were very publicly dropped, new studio to work on KSP2 was spun up, and all of that was very in news with coverage going as far as being an article on Forbes at the time, because newly created Intercept was "poaching" (according to the article) people from the sinking ship that was Star Theory Games at the time. Kotaku, Polygon, etc. had mutliple articles as this was developing.

I understand that you might have missed all of this, or for some reason haven't connected it to the delay, but the information was there. To be more forthcoming, Private Division would have to make flashing neon signs.

The fact that Private Division hasn't immediately announced a TBD delay for the release date was a bad move, of course. I have no idea what sort of corporate checkers were involved in decision to keep pushing it back about a year at a time instead. I don't know if Intercept was involved in setting these intermediate release dates or if this was entirely T2/PD internal shenanigans. In either case, that's one place where there should have been more transparency. "The game is delayed, and we'll let you know a new release date once we have it," would have been a much better call, at least in terms of optics. Again, I have no idea what sort of internal pressures they might have been dealing with.

34 minutes ago, K^2 said:

The fact that Private Division hasn't immediately announced a TBD delay for the release date was a bad move, of course. I have no idea what sort of corporate checkers were involved in decision to keep pushing it back about a year at a time instead. I don't know if Intercept was involved in setting these intermediate release dates or if this was entirely T2/PD internal shenanigans. In either case, that's one place where there should have been more transparency. "The game is delayed, and we'll let you know a new release date once we have it," would have been a much better call, at least in terms of optics. Again, I have no idea what sort of internal pressures they might have been dealing with.

One of the most cogent posts I've yet seen.  The only down side to all this (well, more down that what was had) is that no matter what TT/PD decided to do or announce regarding the game, someone would have been angry and vocal.

"We have to delay for a year."  "A year?  Why are you making me wait a year now?"

"We have to delay indefinitely, and we will let you know when we have a better idea."  "How dare you delay without giving me a date!"

Edited by Scarecrow71

On 4/27/2023 at 2:57 AM, K^2 said:

KSP2 EA only needed to be playable enough to get feedback, and that's what we see.

Thank you for a post that is positive to the game and the development. 
It makes me believe more in the developers again after reading too much negative bias towards the game.

Honestly, I've seen so many people here either being dissent towards Nate telling us about taking a vacation, or even worse; taking the vacation. 
The team is obviously working hard, and too many people in the community have expected a finished product. 
KSP2 was a bit more buggy than expected when it released, but after two patches I have been able to build two space stations. 
I have not prayed enough to the Kraken though, and will be sure to do that tomorrow. 

A lot of hot takes here, I am ready to take the heat.

On 4/27/2023 at 2:57 AM, K^2 said:

A lot of indy games are released into EA in what plays more like a beta. That's because they're trying to raise money to increase the scope of the game, and they know that an alpha build won't do that, and the game might never leave EA. Intercept knows that they have money to finish the game, presumably. KSP2 EA only needed to be playable enough to get feedback, and that's what we see.

I've never thought about it like this when comparing KSP2's EA state to the state of other successful EA games that were more polished during their release. If that's accurate (the team has explicitly stated they are in this for the long haul, which is consistent) that's reassuring for the future of the game.

19 minutes ago, Lyneira said:

I've never thought about it like this when comparing KSP2's EA state to the state of other successful EA games that were more polished during their release. If that's accurate (the team has explicitly stated they are in this for the long haul, which is consistent) that's reassuring for the future of the game.

And that's why I'm not worried at all, I expect over 90 updates yet to come. T² didn't buy the Kerbal IP for nothing, they did for the long haul, as a continuing cashflow cow for 2 decades to come.

25 minutes ago, Lyneira said:

Game was supposed to release as a full game a long time ago. Nate even said they almost finished the game... and we get this? :huh: There has been no clarification given regarding this subject, but avoided. There are a lot of red flags with this game that are already said numerous of time.

I will just wait a few updates out, see what they do , otherwise I might come back in a few years, but then again KSP2 might be outdated by the next standards (it actually is by todays standards) if development takes such a long time. 

Edited by Ferio

3 minutes ago, Ferio said:

I will just wait a few updates out, see what they do , otherwise I might come back in a few years, but then again KSP2 might be outdated by the next standards (it actually is by todays standards) if development takes such a long time. 

What you got now will be different from what you'll have in a few years, what you've got now isn't the end product. Only thing you can do is indeed, wait.

1 minute ago, LoSBoL said:

What you got now will be different from what you'll have in a few years, what you've got now isn't the end product. Only thing you can do is indeed, wait.

I hope so.

Still I wonder what happened, because the game was nearly finished, or so was said.

Edited by Ferio

1 minute ago, Ferio said:

I hope so.

Still I wonder what happened, because the game was nearly finished, or so was said.

We're not going to get an answer to the question what happened, ever...

When science hits will be a first glimpse of how finished they are with their parallel development in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

We're not going to get an answer to the question what happened, ever...

When science hits will be a first glimpse of how finished they are with their parallel development in my opinion.

Lets see, hopefully we get something soon.,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.