Lets talk about these UAPs

Pthigrivi

You can count me as a hard skeptic on this. I've seen a number of analyses of the 'go-fast', 'gimbal' and 'flir' videos and I remain unconvinced there's any actual hard evidence there. The recent testimony is really bizarre and interesting. Still, without like actual instrument data to back this stuff up I can't help but feel unconvinced. Anyone else been following this?

https://thehill.com/homenews/4118340-ufo-hearing-live-updates-lawmakers-former-officials-strange-sightings/

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

You can count me as a hard skeptic on this. I've seen a number of analyses of the 'go-fast', 'gimbal' and 'flir' videos and I remain unconvinced there's any actual hard evidence there. The recent testimony is really bizarre and interesting. Still, without like actual instrument data to back this stuff up I can't help but feel unconvinced. Anyone else been following this?

https://thehill.com/homenews/4118340-ufo-hearing-live-updates-lawmakers-former-officials-strange-sightings

I'm leaning towards the view that the decision to release information of this type at this time is purely based on the effect on people that is predicted given the information.  In which case, the truth or falsity is not a huge factor.  Is it a political distraction? From what? Is it cover for new military tech? (consider the hypersonic push and rotational detonation engine explorations).  The last thing I suspect is the truth is that it is visitors from another star system

drones are a thing.
military intelligence is a thing.
stealth is a thing.
skunkworks gonna skunkworks.
ufo's were successfully used as a cover for us black projects in the past. 
history tends to repeat itself. 

put 2 and 2 together. lets just hope whatever they are flying is fusion powered. 

Edited by Nuke

I'll also say as we get deeper into the testimony David Grusch especially seems to be in wackadoodle territory. It looks more like overeager congresspeople got snookered on this. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that members wanted a bit of media attention but I am surprised we aren't hearing more pointed and skeptical questioning.

8 minutes ago, tater said:

I haven't been following because it's crazy talk. Likely designed to distract the rubes.

Yeah I mean in the sense its designed to get congresspeople's faces on cable news I think thats true. I guess assuming some of them wouldn't want to look foolish was a gross overestimation of them.

8 minutes ago, tater said:

Someone can count the time spent on coverage of this vs whatever else happened on Earth today, and if this nonsense is not a vanishingly small %...

And like it's illegal to lie to congress. Do these guys have lawyers?

29 minutes ago, tater said:

Someone can count the time spent on coverage of this vs whatever else happened on Earth today, and if this nonsense is not a vanishingly small %...

It won't be. It gets clicks and ad views.

21 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

An actual member of congress said the nearest star systems are billions of lightyears away :joy:

Some member of Congress once actually said that Guam (? some Pacific island with a US base) was in danger of capsizing due to US military presence.

23 minutes ago, tater said:

Some member of Congress once actually said that Guam (? some Pacific island with a US base) was in danger of capsizing due to US military presence.

haha Hank Johnson. My god. The look on that naval commander's face when he asked that was for the ages. 

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

drones are a thing.
military intelligence is a thing.
stealth is a thing.
skunkworks gonna skunkworks.
ufo's were successfully used as a cover for us black projects in the past. 
history tends to repeat itself. 

put 2 and 2 together. lets just hope whatever they are flying is fusion powered. 

If they have fusion powered planes it would make so much more sense to create an fusion economy some decades before as it would increase the size of economy.

34 minutes ago, tater said:

Yes how does you capsize an island ??? Yes on smaller crafts all going to one side is dangerous, this is not true on larger crafts including regulated small passenger boats as you has to assume passengers will all move to one side to watch something like the landscape at an regular basis so its part of the certifications. 
Islands don't have this issue for obvious reasons. 

Is there any historical precedent for someone lying to Congress just to get famous?

In the meantime, I recommend reading The Invisible College by Jacques Vallee.

The gist of the book is that these aren’t from space, and if they do actually exist, we are never going to get hard evidence because these things are designed to be unbelievable to those who don’t witness them first hand.

48 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Yes how does you capsize an island ??? Yes on smaller crafts all going to one side is dangerous, this is not true on larger crafts including regulated small passenger boats as you has to assume passengers will all move to one side to watch something like the landscape at an regular basis so its part of the certifications. 
Islands don't have this issue for obvious reasons. 

The idiot in question thought that islands floated.

I think the recent interest in UAPs might be in part due to the Chinese balloon incident. Now the US knows it should shift some of its focus from high tech satellites and spy planes to low tech balloons, many of which can be too small for radar but are visually evident if you are in the right location to spot them. They are basically crowdsourcing aerial detection. Now this Grusch guy has come out and they don't want to just shut him out, even though he does kinda seem like a kook out for attention, because that would deter people from reporting UAPs they think might be aliens, but in reality could be spy balloons. Again, this is just a theory.

Edited by Meecrob

47 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

I think the recent interest in UAPs might be in part due to the Chinese balloon incident. Now the US knows it should shift some of its focus from high tech satellites and spy planes to low tech balloons, many of which can be too small for radar but are visually evident if you are in the right location to spot them. They are basically crowdsourcing aerial detection. Now this Grusch guy has come out and they don't want to just shut him out, even though he does kinda seem like a kook out for attention, because that would deter people from reporting UAPs they think might be aliens, but in reality could be spy balloons. Again, this is just a theory.

I don’t think so. A report came out the other day that the balloon wasn’t even collecting data during its flight over the US. It very clearly blew off course and the fight was accidental.

There is no way the US is switching from planes and satellites to balloons. The balloon incident itself makes it very clear balloons suck at intelligence gathering.

I think it is a repeat of early Cold War paranoia. If relations were better among the world powers, this would not be garnering so much attention from the government.

The universe is so big that if someone says we are the only civilization in this universe, I will never believe it.

But I also won't buy such simply wasting time conspiracy theories.

As for the balloon, if our American friends who study China can speak more Chinese than "nihao", "Taiji" and "gongxifacai", have some academic searching skills, and are not so biased, it is not difficult at all to obtain cross-checked facts within an hour.

Edited by steve9728

14 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

The universe is so big that if someone says we are the only civilization in this universe, I will never believe it.

The universe is so big that if someone says that there's another civilization nearby, I'll be very reluctant to believe it.

10 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

The universe is so big that if someone says that there's another civilization nearby, I'll be very reluctant to believe it.

This.

I tend to think (Fermi Paradox comes up again, lol) that life is likely common, but life capable of advanced technology is probably pretty rare. Maybe even amazingly rare.

As for the idiotic hearings—I believe exactly none of "testimony." A claim about debris, biological evidence? Bring it, or show it, or it never happened.

9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

If they have fusion powered planes it would make so much more sense to create an fusion economy some decades before as it would increase the size of economy.

yea, but id want all my military bases and naval vessels upgraded with fusion power plants before i let the world have at it. that's assuming the skunkworks made any progress at all on their reactor. if they did its not a forgone conclusion that the military would be the first customer, and the contract exclusive. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.