Idea for Science Collection/Processing....

Here's an idea for science that might make it more interesting...

Perhaps you don't just click and have it automagically collect data. Maybe you do some sort of minigame like Spider-Man (Remastered or PS4) to properly collect data?

Any other thoughts for how collecting science might be fun?

Puzzles won't be good for the more routine day to day science gathering. It would become tedious very quickly. I can see doing puzzles for the science breakthroughs though. I can see it as a small distraction to the routine of the game.

Yeah I do like puzzles and these kinds of minigames have their place, but to me the kinds of 'minigames' that would work best for KSP would be puzzles that happen in-engine. So for instance SCANsat is a kind of minigame because its about getting your satellite in a good polar orbit for a body's rotation so that you can scan efficiently. Some of of the impactor experiments from mods and BG were a kind of minigame. Even precision landing and getting a rover or lander into a tough to navigate canyon or crater is like that. 

This idea is generally pretty neat to me, but I'd prefer an in-game minigame as others have (sort of) pointed out. For example, it could be that science collection is about landing in certain "sweet spots" as real-life missions.

I hate the idea! :joy:

“In-engine minigames” are the way to go — mission objectives that make sense and requires planning, design, and skill to execute. Adding minigames to the experiments themselves is like adding a hat on top of a hat!

Edited by Periple

14 hours ago, Periple said:

I hate the idea! :joy:

“In-engine minigames” are the way to go — mission objectives that make sense and requires planning, design, and skill to execute. Adding minigames to the experiments themselves is like adding a hat on top of a hat!

crazy_cap_mario_standing_by_transparentj

On 8/29/2023 at 2:00 PM, shdwlrd said:

Puzzles won't be good for the more routine day to day science gathering. It would become tedious very quickly. I can see doing puzzles for the science breakthroughs though. I can see it as a small distraction to the routine of the game.

That would be a good compromise :)

23 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah I do like puzzles and these kinds of minigames have their place, but to me the kinds of 'minigames' that would work best for KSP would be puzzles that happen in-engine. So for instance SCANsat is a kind of minigame because its about getting your satellite in a good polar orbit for a body's rotation so that you can scan efficiently. Some of of the impactor experiments from mods and BG were a kind of minigame. Even precision landing and getting a rover or lander into a tough to navigate canyon or crater is like that. 

14 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

This idea is generally pretty neat to me, but I'd prefer an in-game minigame as others have (sort of) pointed out. For example, it could be that science collection is about landing in certain "sweet spots" as real-life missions.

Oooh! I like those too!

I would add complexity by kerbals for example or dependencies for science,so we would require build and deliver more and like what we really do (build + flight). 

Eg.:

some science would require more kerbals to gather 

by dependency I mean we should find rocks: first a small dark one, then a gray bigger one and so on. In this case the "mini game" would be riding the rover.

Bringing a heavy duty drill to dig deeper. Provide enough power, scientist and engineer to operate it.

Edit:

Limited time based science, you have to do science on the dark side (so when the star does not shine the place of science for longer period (so the instrument must cool down too and/or have to stay cool (termal management)). When the cool down is done, you would be able do run your experiment, if you have enough resource to do that (eg power).  

Edited by DancZer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.