When Trying to Close a Fairing on a Part, it will Disappear Instead.

NovaRaptorTV

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home 10.0.22621 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor (24) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (24339MB) | RAM65458

When I try to edit a fairing when attached to a fuel tank, the game will not remember what I saved the fairing as. However, if I take the fairing off and make it, then put it on the tank and offset it, it understands what is going on.

Steps to Replicate:

1. In the VAB Load reDIRECTion(Bugged).json
  2. Click on the wrench
  3. Pull the green arrow up into the tank
  4. Attempt to close the fairing on the tank using the green tick

Note: It disappears which it shouldn't

Video Evidence:
https://youtu.be/lfafueY2_MI

Save File:
reDIRECTion(Bugged).json

Updated Log File:
FairingnotBeingPlacedwhenConnectedtoFuelTank_logs.zip

Edited by The Space Peacock
fixed tags so report shows category in report list

21 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) | GPU: Geforce GTX 1070TI | RAM16GB

1) Add a fairing to a vehicle, and build it.

2) Press the green checkbox.

3) Entire fairing disappears and you have to try again until it eventually works.

I find if I zoom out really far so that the greencheck mark is bigger and therefore not overtop of any other parts that it will generally save the fairing instead of deleting it.

Alternatively it is possible that a very small piece of it is clipping through something the other times I built it and that causes it to get deleted.

3 hours ago, HyenaDae said:

Bump. Really frustrating to try to enclose my Apollo style pod+engine module. I can get one or two notches on if I do them individually *But* if the fairing is fussing, it deletes *everything except the first fairing segment* which is nutty

It would be nice if we got visual feedback like the fairing turning red when it can't close so we can know that it needs to be adjusted.

5 hours ago, HyenaDae said:

Really frustrating to try to enclose my Apollo style pod+engine module.

I managed to close fairing in Apollo style (picture in spoiler)

Spoiler

Closedfairing.png

I wrote how to do this there already

7 hours ago, Vortygont said:

You need to close it not from side, but fromfrom rear of part. End upper part of fairing need to be with same diameter as bottom part of detail / tank. I managed to do this with fuel tank above fairing

But also I belive that game must allow close fairing in any place of part and do right aerodynamic occlusion of parts inside it

I experienced this behaviour too, the fairing would just disappear when trying to close it at the tip, with no clipping as far as I could tell. 

Sadly I cannot attach a log file (perhaps due to my status as a new member?).

On 1/27/2024 at 3:04 PM, T the G said:

I experienced this behaviour too, the fairing would just disappear when trying to close it at the tip, with no clipping as far as I could tell. 

Sadly I cannot attach a log file (perhaps due to my status as a new member?).

Possibly, or you just need to do a whole “bug report” (prompts for attachments) then a mod will recognize a thread exists and merge it over… you could include a reference to this thread’s URL in the write-up to really drive home the point that “here is the relevant thread/report I wanted to contribute to”.

please fix this.  I've just spent the last 30 minutes trying to close an interstage fairing.  it's enclosing a large hydrogen tank with nothing sticking out from it.  I have checked and checked and nothing is blocking the fairing from closing.

we need a better visual indicator of the problem, a more intelligent closing system (snap it to the part at the end of the fairing, or a way to force close it like KSP 1

(edit) I turned off the snap magnet, then every so carefully aligned the grey tip of the fairing with the part it was supposed to end at and it closed.  Maybe that will help others.

Edited by bmyers831

14 minutes ago, Sea_Kerman said:

Can confirm in 0.2.0.0
was the ability to seal a fairing on another part even in ksp2 to begin with?

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198151932699/screenshot/2318855440947861812/

Yes I was able to make the Saturn V fairing in the launch version of KSP2 but I also find it much more difficult to make interstage fairings now

For now I found how to close fairing on part. You need to close it not from side, but fromfrom rear of part. End upper part of fairing need to be with same diameter as bottom part of detail / tank. I managed to do this with fuel tank above fairing
If you didn't understand ask me please. I also miss ability to close fairing from side

Agreed fairings disappearing is annoying.  But it is most likely due to some small part getting clipped.   Good suggestion about the fairing changing color if it encounters clipping.  That said it took me some time getting the apollo style fairing to look and work right.  But I got there... eventually.   As shown below.

vB5ULr2.png

On 12/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, WingC3 said:

I don't think this is a bug, I think they changed it to work this way intentionally. However, I would agree that this is a poor way to indicate to the player that a part is clipping. They should have some kind of textual warning instead.

The fairings didn't behave like this in the older builds of KSP2. This started happening in KSP2 v0.1.4, and is still happening in V0.2.0.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.