Asteroid City

JoeSchmuckatelli

I am going to add a little to this.  I tried to get my intrepid 13 yo interested in the film... But it was too 'arty' for her.  

Having a very brief turn as an actor in college, I appreciated the mix of 'behind the scenes' story telling, the play within the play aspect and the set design of the film portions. It is such an 'insider' piece, imo.  Like something fun for people in the industry, where they invite the rest of us to enjoy the jokes.  There is a lot of 'trust the audience' going on.  Which, in my kid's case, went right over her head. 

But if you have an appreciation for Wes Anderson films - I can't see how you wouldn't enjoy it. 

There is also a near-perfect 'nerd party' in the middle. One that also captured the mix of high intelligence adolescence and delayed development found in many extraordinarily smart adults.  The cross-generational comfort of your intellectual peers and the parents/others who just don't quite get you. 

It's a fun film 

7 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

But it was too 'arty' for her.

I saw it a couple months ago but I don’t recall seeing any artillery pieces in it :D

7 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Having a very brief turn as an actor in college, I appreciated the mix of 'behind the scenes' story telling, the play within the play aspect and the set design of the film portions. It is such an 'insider' piece, imo.  Like something fun for people in the industry, where they invite the rest of us to enjoy the jokes.  There is a lot of 'trust the audience' going on.  Which, in my kid's case, went right over her head.

Yeah, if The French Dispatch was a “love letter to journalists” as Anderson himself described it, this was a love letter to theater.

20 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Yeah,I know the story is set in the 50s.. but time moves slowly in the desert.

I liked the setting. The 1950s is one of my favorite time periods aesthetically, so it was great! I also loved the music faintly playing in the background in so many scenes.

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

A trend detected. Dolltowns.
It appears  in reverse order, but with growing frequency of releases.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

blooddrive_gallery_110recap_02_0.jpgMV5BMWFlMTJhNDMtMGM2MC00YTY3LWFkMDMtNTJmblood-drive-the-chopsocky-special-episod

(Blood Drive, Cronenburgh)

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

The ultimate episode?

Reveal hidden contents

You forgot the fake target test town in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

5 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

You forgot the fake target test town in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

IJ is just a typical adventure series of XIX century, kinda Prof. Livingstone in the Abyss of Central Africa.
As well, the True Man Show is about the individual person.

While others are a modelling of the dolltown citizens, where the dolltown itself looks nice, but totally fake and weird behind the scene.

This trend looks like a Vault-Tek PR campaign. And its raising frequency looks like a shifting the Overton Window towards the isolated artificial local habitats as a known normality.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.