Least favorite Kerbal  

47 members have voted

1. 1. The question

• Jebediah
    • Bill
    • Bob
    • Valentina
    • Tim C

My least favorite has to be that coward Werner von Kerman.  You have all this knowledge of rockets and the buildings and everything we are supposed to do...yet you aren't one of the available crew members in the Astronaut Complex?  Get out from behind the desk and go places, man!

10 hours ago, Lyneira said:

I would have preferred if Tim C would follow the standard naming convention as just "Tim Kerman".

You made me curious and... he's not the only one!

2lX6tbr.png

And I'm pretty sure that those are all devs (past or present). Obviously they are just the ones I found, there are probably many more.

With the help of the in game credits, I found this:

• Patrick A - ?
  • Greg W - ?
  • Michael Cook - Franchise Director
  • Jon Cioletti - Sr Technical Artist
  • Paul Zimmer - Sr. 3d Animator / Content Engineer
  • Arzin Chibber - Senior Software Engineer (Hangar 13)
  • Milota Eric - Software Engineer III, Multiplayer
  • Tito R - ?
  • Amaury Evra - Software Engineer III, Audio
  • Mar I - ?
  • Baebae J - ?

So the naming convention is: If they have a middle name, those are probably devs. (Probably to recognize them more)

Edited by Spicat

I really can't care less than for Kerbal names / personnas in game. I've never even considered them individually, never got attached to a Jeb, a Bob or a Valentina.

Don't know why though, it simply did not hook me at all.

From the results apparently the most disliked Kerbals are Tim C and Bill Kerman! The first one being a Kerbal counterpart of a former developer for KSP2 and the second one as a *rebranded* engineer!

I don’t understand whoever is voting Jeb

On 10/10/2023 at 12:44 AM, Spicat said:

So the naming convention is: If they have a middle name, those are probably devs. (Probably to recognize them more)

Thanks for the overview and figuring this out!

For the most part in KSP1 I didn't really bother with getting attached to kerbals in my saves, primarily because it wasn't possible to customize them. Getting the ability to name my kerbals and customize their looks in-game would help with the immersion aspect of a campaign and be of benefit to content creators as well.

Spoiler

I know it can be done with savefile editing, but that's not the same as proper in-game UI support!

Edited by Lyneira

I love them all, and I get oddly attached to them, making up relationships and stuff as I go through missions.

That being said, I like Bob the least. Not dislike, just like the least. Jeb and Val are useful as pilots, and Bill has fixed his fair share of ships. (Mostly just removing used/unnecessary parts to lose weight and gain dv.) I still use Bob a lot, though- he allowed me to get over 4,000 science points from my first Duna mission.

Very close to Bill in terms of how much I like him, surpasses him by a little bit in his usefulness.

And while the pilots are technically the least useful since you can just use the fly-by-wire hub to get the same effect, what self-respecting ksp player makes a mission without one?

42 minutes ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Bill because you will almost never use him if you pilot / engineer your craft well.

And Tim C for having a middle name.  

I don't see why so many people are giving Tim C so much flak. Plenty of people have middle names, and Kerbals have no reason not to either. Besides, it's a clever way to tell people he was a developer. I agree with you about Bill, though. Well-engineered ships and good flying can prevent any disaster.

On 10/16/2023 at 4:27 AM, Kimera Industries said:

I don't see why so many people are giving Tim C so much flak. Plenty of people have middle names, and Kerbals have no reason not to either. Besides, it's a clever way to tell people he was a developer. I agree with you about Bill, though. Well-engineered ships and good flying can prevent any disaster.

Perhaps also because he was a developer who passed away and subsequently added as one of the "main character" kerbals to honor him. Because it's so obvious now, seeing him as part of the main character list feels a bit like opening your newspaper and seeing an obituary of one of the newspaper's valued colleagues posted on page 1. Every day. There is no community lore or game lore behind him other than this. Compare with the previous addition to the "main character" cast in KSP1 which was Valentina, celebrating the addition of female kerbal models.

A monument somewhere on Kerbin, perhaps even in a corner at the KSC, and his inclusion in the randomly generated "developer kerbal" list would have been enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.