Weekly Challenge #32: Sputnik 1

Nerdy_Mike

• Community Lead

Challenge32_Sputnik1_Landscape (1).png

October 4th is the anniversary of the launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite!

Weekly Challenge #32: Sputnik 1 
Primary: Build a replica of the Sputnik 1 satellite. Sounds simple, but see how detailed you can get!
Secondary: Launch your Sputnik 1 replica into orbit around Kerbin.
Jeb: Launch it on a replica of the R-7 rocket.
Val: Launch your replica into Sputnik 1's historical orbit: Periapsis 215km, Apoapsis 940km, Inclination 65 degrees.

Interesting to see how much fuel we can put in such a 29m-high rocket...

... anyway, reaching the precise orbit consumes a lot of fuel. Especially the 65° inclination...

I was not sure about the periapsis argument of the orbit (Pe/Ap position), I chose Pe around the South Pole and AP on the North Pole's side...

What the heck is the right scale for this?

Medium is 2.5 diameter right?

That would mean this is roughly as big as 4 X200-64s stacked on top of one another and larger than that in diameter (2.5x3+change < 10m).

So this was my quick take:

42MxEo8.png CtWe93n.png qvsERNF.png

More images: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

First image was my first take - way overpowered and overfueled - I decoupled just before reaching the target orbit.

Rest was from the final launch. Dumped more than half the fuel on the boosters, and 1/4 of the fuel in the centre. Switched to weaker engines.

Came in at around 260t and reached orbit with 1500dV remaining.

Launched the battery and antennas - roughly 150kg and kinda ball-shaped... No control module, so didn't take a nicer picture of it.

Edited by PyroSA

Again, so much fun with the nature of this particular challenge. I became sort of obsessed with the overall shape and approximate scale of the original Sputnik launch vehicle, and had to use all of my arm chair engineering skills to fashion some sort of boosters

from fairings and chicken wire. Came out alright.... What do ya think?  The rocket itself actually performed beautifully, cut perfectly on target and booster separation performed as expected. The only issue I had was the part count of the model got a little out of a hand and started to really 

affect sim performance during ascent. Twenty eight engines is also  a bit much, but the boosters and core stage of the rocket did not disappoint in flight.   

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

On 10/2/2023 at 9:43 PM, Antnee said:

Again, so much fun with the nature of this particular challenge. I became sort of obsessed with the overall shape and approximate scale of the original Sputnik launch vehicle, and had to use all of my arm chair engineering skills to fashion some sort of boosters

from fairings and chicken wire. Came out alright.... What do ya think?  The rocket itself actually performed beautifully, cut perfectly on target and booster separation performed as expected. The only issue I had was the part count of the model got a little out of a hand and started to really 

affect sim performance during ascent. Twenty eight engines is also  a bit much, but the boosters and core stage of the rocket did not disappoint in flight.   

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

I cannot see your pictures. Am I the only one?

19 hours ago, Shuz said:

My second try:

Can't really find where to check  my real reached inclination in this game..

In KSP-1 we had this in the advanced orbit parameters, but I didn't found them in KSP-2.

I found only the Mod "Micro-Engineer" that displays this information. With this, you know when to stop inclining... Then you just have to set PE/AP to the right values, the inclination doesn't change much...